Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: PIMPING STOCKS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    AAPL is going to 900 in 2014. Allegedly, it will bottom at 425 first. I'd get long soon. I told you FB was gonna double. I sold it too early.

I've been too busy with other stuff to trade a lot lately.

Read about Facebooks last earnings report and listen to the conference call. I'm thinking about swallowing my pride about not getting in earlier and finding an entry point.
    I'll put my money there before APPL
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I should invest in FB considering how much I use it. There was an article recently that predicted that FB would lose 80% of its users based on an epidemiological study. I LOL'd.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    I should invest in FB considering how much I use it. There was an article recently that predicted that FB would lose 80% of its users based on an epidemiological study. I LOL'd.
    MJZ - Social Media Change Denier. You troglodyte.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-s...MzhXNyoA;_ylu=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post

Read and listed to facebook's conference call from last week; their earnngs, growth, and that call were scary good
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon View Post
    MJZ - Social Media Change Denier. You troglodyte.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-s...MzhXNyoA;_ylu=

I don't buy into this; Facebook is growing on so many levels even if it loses some of it's users....the ad revenew and mobile are growng so fast.
    For what it's worth I'm not an investor in Facebook yet....still trying to figure this one out..........but they just reported, to my surprise, a dynamic report and growth outlook.
    Each time they've did this they follow through with a better quarter than projected.

Got any stock ideas ? I'm always game to research

Late 2013 was a pretty easy time to make money, so I don't claim any great investing acumen for having done so. More winners than loser, and some up big. I made a few blunders too. Some of the stocks I own right now:

I bought FB in late October under $50, so I am up about 30%.
    UBNT bought twice, sold half when I was up 20%. it rose more, then fell. Up 4% on what I have left.
    MPAA in November, up 18%.
    Z in September, down 6%

Biggest mistake in 2013 - CRUS - stubbornly held on as it fell, lost nearly 35% before I came to my senses. The only thing that makes me feel "better" is that it fell even more and is still lower today than when I sold.

Been playing with Biotechs a lot the last year. Very mixed results so far. Currently own MDVN (prostate cancer drug) that just released some very good clinical study reports. Jumped about 13% early last week. I'm up 32%. I own PCYC, which hasn't made any $ for me.

Owned a couple that had some interesting drugs in clinical trials, which ended up inconclusive, or worse. Lost $ on THLD.

Bought QCOR in 2012. Held for a long time waiting for FDA approvals and final clinical reports. FDA came back with questions and the stock fell. There seemed to be more than normal publicized back & forths between the company and the FDA. I held through a lot of ups and downs, some analyst turned sour on them, which confused me because I thought things seemed to be in a hold rather than negative with the FDA. But, as more experts turned negative I figured I wasn't knowwledgeable about the procedures, so I waited for a good point, got out losing just a little. It dropped a bit again. then turned around and has climbed ever since. I bought and ultimately sold at around $32. It's gotten into the $70's since I sold, so I missed a 100%+ gain. Oh well.........

I wanted to buy AAPL last spring/summer when it was hanging around $400, because that was...ridiculous. But, I was fully invested and didn't have anything I wanted to sell. Right now, investors really have no patience with AAPL

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don't buy into this; Facebook is growing on so many levels even if it loses some of it's users....the ad revenew and mobile are growng so fast.
    For what it's worth I'm not an investor in Facebook yet....still trying to figure this one out..........but they just reported, to my surprise, a dynamic report and growth outlook.
    Each time they've did this they follow through with a better quarter than projected.

Got any stock ideas ? I'm always game to research
    I was looking hard at FB at $29 but did nothing. I DO believe the research and I think they will need to adjust their business model and find other streams of revenue in the future. Americans are very privacy conscious and Zuckerburg is way too cozy with D.C. for me. I think he's capable of selling out his members if it benefits his own personal ambitions.

Personally, I think Twitter could have more permanence than Facebook in the long run. But, again, it's business model is also unproven.

But I can't complain about missing out of FB because my two single remaining stocks did outstanding. I'm getting gun-shy with individual stocks so I have been in the 'buy and hold' camp for a while. Watching Amazon cross the $400 barrier after I sold it at $13 in 2002 will do that to you.

Short-term, I do have a little cash that I will probably invest after there is a bigger correction. Long-term, I hate the Fed's interference in the Market and changing the rules as they go along. I think the Market is artifically high and several underlying systemic problems have still not been addressed. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a major pull-back after November 2014 for domestic reasons or possibly sooner for international reasons.

Approval and construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline could change everything, however. Wow, imagine real jobs again and a country heading toward energy independence!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon View Post
    Long-term, I hate the Fed's interference in the Market and changing the rules as they go along. I think the Market is artifically high and several underlying systemic problems have still not been addressed. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a major pull-back after November 2014 for domestic reasons or possibly sooner for international reasons.
    Agreed, and weening from it will cause a lot of turbulence in the market on its own, even apart from the real economic factors. Even the announcements months ago of the Fed pulling back sometime in the future made the market gasp.

I had several really nice winners that I almost sold two weeks ago. It is a relatively small account that I actively trade just for the fun of it. I wish I had now. I should anyway, because my gut tells me there are better things to go to right now than the ones I almost sold then. I should have spent some time over the weekend planning.

Read about Facebooks last earnings report and listen to the conference call. I'm thinking about swallowing my pride about not getting in earlier and finding an entry point.
    I'll put my money there before APPL
    I wouldn't. Check out @PeterGhostine on Twitter. He is the single best tech analysts I've seen. I intend to get back into Apple in the coming weeks and run it all the way up to 900. I'm trying to convince the wife to let me put 100K into it. I doubt she'll let me, though.

I want the home run. I owe 300K on my house. I want to pay the bitch off within a year or two. Leaving AAPL with 200K would be a pretty sweet and life changing event for me.

Rat Starter
    I want the home run. I owe 300K on my house. I want to pay the bitch off within a year or two. Leaving AAPL with 200K would be a pretty sweet and life changing event for me.
    Whatever happened to paying off the mortgage in 30 years? To do so by age 30, man, that's impressive. You're da man, Partial. Capitalism has been kind to you. Better hope I don't conquer the world.

Blog Entries
    Palter and Kiwon...what stocks are you guys floating with ? Right now I'm in
    Applied Materials
    Under Armour
    Yahoo
    Channel Advisor (ECOM)
    ZU-Zulilly
    LOCK (Life Lock)

Had great returns with the first two, ok returns on the next two...and the last two are pretty recent and both pretty speculative IMO

I TOO almost jumped at Facebook at 24.....pissed now that I didn't.

Partial.....still shocked at you. Apple is fine....but there are so many with huge growth right now I'm surprised you are not embracing some of the futuristic ideas. I'm close friends with the investing guy at our company. He's looking for an exit point with AAPL as he's taken a loss and thinks it's not that well positioned.

Partials's estimates of AAPL getting to 1000, or whatever by the end of the year missed badly in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
    Is the fourth time a charm?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Partials's estimates of AAPL getting to 1000, or whatever by the end of the year missed badly in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

I don't doubt it's a good investment around these levels. But I think there are many many better bets to double that APPL....just IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Check out Peter Ghostine. He is the best technical analyst I've seen. He has AAPL hitting 900 in 2014. If Peter is actively calling for it, you can take it to the bank.

Again... Peter called for FB to double when it was at 25. Sure enough... it did.

Palter and Kiwon...what stocks are you guys floating with ? Right now I'm in
    Applied Materials
    Under Armour
    Yahoo
    Channel Advisor (ECOM)
    ZU-Zulilly
    LOCK (Life Lock)

Had great returns with the first two, ok returns on the next two...and the last two are pretty recent and both pretty speculative IMO

I TOO almost jumped at Facebook at 24.....pissed now that I didn't.

Partial.....still shocked at you. Apple is fine....but there are so many with huge growth right now I'm surprised you are not embracing some of the futuristic ideas. I'm close friends with the investing guy at our company. He's looking for an exit point with AAPL as he's taken a loss and thinks it's not that well positioned.
    I only invest in things I follow closely. I have over 100K growing in the 401K, so I let that just do it's thing and don't worry about it. There is a lot of opportunity in 3D printing but again - I don't follow it closely enough to invest in it.

I do have a few bitcoin and litecoin but that is really just a moonshot thing to see what happens. I intend to hold these for a very long time.

My uncle swing trades triple leverage EFTs and I guess he has an algorithm where he hasn't lost a trade yet. He says it takes some serious balls and he has come close to losing his ass a few times, but he has always ended up coming out a head or even. I may start doing this and following his algorithm.

Right now... my focus is on the really big win. I'm building companies now. That is the best way to make big bucks.

The two individual stocks I'm in are SIRI and ALU.

I have held positions for several years and many times wished I hadn't. Bankruptcy was a possibility with both. However, SIRI is finally profitable and ALU came back to life in 2013. Both are risky and you shouldn't invest money you can't afford to lose.

But, both companies have good leadership now and are innovative. And when Tech recovers and D.C. gets out of the way, these two should purchase me a house one day. That's the plan, at least.

Otherwise, these days I'm all about maxing out my 401K contributions and lowering my taxes and investment expenses.

One thing missing from my portfolio are ETFs. I would be interested in knowing which ETF fund families appeal to the Packer Rat financial brain trust and their expense ratios.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The new microsoft CEO is a UWM grad. Time to buy.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

The only ETFs I have traded with any regularity are TZA and its opposite TNA, Direxion'se 3x small cap bear and bull. Overall, I have done OK, but certainly haven't profited every time.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda - kept telling myself a correction was due, and that it was time to play with these. It would have been a good time to invest equal amounts in both until the market direction was clear. It works out that you make money even if they respond identically on a percentage basis day to day, then when direction seems clear, dump the one and hold the other.

Probably should do that now, maybe later this week. Have to check the ouija board since I don't have an algorithm that is 100% accurate like some supposedly do.
    Last edited by Patler; 02-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.

My uncle does SPY and SPX is my understanding. He does a few more, too, but I don't know the details of those. He has told me that he's been over 100K in the hole before but luckily they bounced back up to bail him out. The premise of his algorithm (which he didn't write, it is from some book or something) is that you keep putting money in as it dips. I believe there is a fairly complicated set-up (way more complicated that a Tom DeMark sequential or something like that).

Here is the link to Peter Ghostine's twitter. He has started a company and taken much of his trading charts private, but he still posts pretty good advice publically at least once a day. This guy is generally considered one of the best at what he does. He flies under the radar, but his reputation is stellar. He isn't a finance guy, he's an electrical engineer. Just about everything is based around math and Fibonacci sequences.

https://twitter.com/PeterGhostine
    Last edited by call_me_ishmael; 02-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    I only invest in things I follow closely. I have over 100K growing in the 401K, so I let that just do it's thing and don't worry about it. There is a lot of opportunity in 3D printing but again - I don't follow it closely enough to invest in it.

I do have a few bitcoin and litecoin but that is really just a moonshot thing to see what happens. I intend to hold these for a very long time.

My uncle swing trades triple leverage EFTs and I guess he has an algorithm where he hasn't lost a trade yet. He says it takes some serious balls and he has come close to losing his ass a few times, but he has always ended up coming out a head or even. I may start doing this and following his algorithm.

Right now... my focus is on the really big win. I'm building companies now. That is the best way to make big bucks.

You are in the tech industry, right ?
    Do you embrace the idea that the cloud is going to be HUGE ?
    There are a ton of start ups still in their very early stages as well as some due to IPO this year as well.