(re: Pollin) Yeah, it was long ago I had to look up the particulars. In fact, that story seems almost too pat, but I couldn't find an account contrary to those facts. Who knows, he might have needed to put fannies in the seats and thought it would help. I just don't remember a campaign over it.

I don't have much patience for legal means to force the Redskins nickname to change*, but I am equally impatient with people who try to dodge that the Redskins name is a slur. Its just an excuse to make the fans feel better, but its a slur none-the-less. Also, while Skinbasket clone feels better that his stadium doesn't do the chop or have a Native American in full dress roaming the sideline, he should take time to mention the helmet logo.

Opponents just ought to play the long game and continually remind fans that they are celebrating a racial slur.

A better question is the Warriors nickname. That one makes the most sense.

*Great moment in judicial non-understanding over this issue. In a lawsuit over the Redskin nickname that was ultimately lost by the plaintiffs, the ruling judge held as fact that it could not be proven that a plurality or majority of Indigenous People in the area felt disrespected over the name. He concluded that such information was a practical impossibility and that the polling data that the plaintiff had submitted was just a poll of certain people and couldn't possibly, correctly convey the sentiment of the whole population.