Thread: The Draft Versus Free Agency - Lions and Packers (and Bears?)

The Draft Versus Free Agency - Lions and Packers (and Bears?)

Here's a quote from a Detroit News article on Martin Mayhew, the Lions' GM. Basically, the organization has made it clear that the team must win now, or Mayhew is gone. So he's responded by signing two key free agents that he expects to start (Idhegibo and Tate), and seems openly prepared to trade up to get instant starter(s) in this draft.

But the article is focused more on how Mayhew got into this position - and the answer is that, outside of an early draft plus last year's promising draft (thanks apparently to Brian Xander), Mayhew has not drafted very well. As a result, he's had to "fill in" his draft holes with free agents, which puts the team in a salary cap bind.

"In Mayhew’s five drafts, the Lions have had 12 total picks in the first and second rounds, and 38 overall. And, since he took over during the 2008 season, he’s made 27 trades that have produced a net loss of one pick. Mayhew also acquired multiple productive players including guard Rob Sims, defensive tackle Corey Williams (now retired) and quarterback Shaun Hill (now with the Rams).

Among the 38 picks Mayhew made, 12 are out of the NFL, which has led to depth issues and free-agency binges.

By comparison, Packers general manager Ted Thompson, the NFC North’s longest-tenured general manager, has had 44 picks since 2009 and just three players are not on NFL rosters. Green Bay won the division the past three seasons.

As for Mayhew’s recent key free-agent signings, they've been impressive but pricey.

■ He signed running back Reggie Bush to a four-year, $16 million contract in 2013. It came after the swing-and-misses on 2010 pick Jahvid Best and 2011 pick Mikel Leshoure.

■ He signed safety Glover Quin to a five-year deal worth $23.5 million in 2013 to replace Amari Spievey, a third-round selection in 2010 whose injuries and inconsistent play led to his release before the 2013 season.

■ He signed wide receiver Golden Tate to a five-year, $31 million contract this offseason, above market value compared to receivers with similar career statistics like Emmanuel Sanders ($15 million over three years with Denver) and Andre Roberts ($16 million over four years with Washington).

That signing is to offset the loss of Titus Young (released, February 2013) and the leg injuries to Ryan Broyles (played in 16 games in two seasons)."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz30kblJjsT

So does this mean that the Julius Peppers signing is to offset lousy drafting at the DE/OLB spot? Hmm.

And I wonder, how do the Bears and Vikings stack up with drafting? The results would seem to indicate that they, too, do not draft well enough to keep up. The Vikings seem more obviously to try to fill in with free agents (usually ex-Packers).

So is drafting three starters per year the key? And does this mean if TT's famous/infamous 2012 draft doesn't produce now, that the team will be damaged long term?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Mayhew doesn't seem to trade away his picks (he might be trading up and then recovering lower picks by trading back in 4th through 7th rounds) but he has a pretty high bust rate.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You hit it on the nose - he tends to trade up earlier. Twice, I think, he has snuck back into the late first round (I think LeShoure may have been one of those picks) by giving up his second and third, or second and fourth. Later he trades down.

But he has a frankly terrible record with mid and later round picks. It's as if he does his homework through three rounds, then doesn't care. I know that's not true, but that's how it appears. He wants big names, but tries to get picks back in later rounds, though he drafts badly in those rounds.

Ted busts as much as anyone in the first round, but his talent seems to be in finding the later round guys who can play. Or even undrafted FA's.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

then why the hell didn't we sign a free agent safety to make up for TT missing on the safety spot lately?

i have no clue why TT jumped at peppers, but IMO, we already had a lot more talent at OLB at DE already on the roster compared to what we had at safety

and to me, safety play was the bigger problem last year

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    then why the hell didn't we sign a free agent safety to make up for TT missing on the safety spot lately?

i have no clue why TT jumped at peppers, but IMO, we already had a lot more talent at OLB at DE already on the roster compared to what we had at safety

He is the designated pass rusher. Between him, Matthews, Perry and Neal, two should be healthy.

In most games.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Could we really had afforded a guy like Byrd? Peppers isn't going to break the bank. Maybe Ted is thinking if we improve our pass rush it will mask some of our issues at the back end of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Could we really had afforded a guy like Byrd? Peppers isn't going to break the bank. Maybe Ted is thinking if we improve our pass rush it will mask some of our issues at the back end of the defense.
    100% yes, without a single doubt in my mind we could have afforded byrd, and any of the 15or so safeties that would havebeen a huge improvement over both our safeties from last season

the problem i have with thinking the pass rush can fix our problems in the backfield is that, the communication and play was so horrible last season back there that the coverage had been blown and wr's were running wide open behind our coverage before any pass rush could get to the qb. even reggie and sean jones couldn't get to the qb before he can get the ball away to a wide open receiver