Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skinbasket Weighs in on New Redskins Nicknames

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The whole Warrior name change thing was stupid. I agree that the name was originally intended to be complimentary and they could have left well enough alone. Snyder (who actually owns the team--not Congress) has said he's not changing the name.

And for the record there is no way that the op could have been Skinbasket. He would NEVER misspell "douchebags."
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Just call them the Spooks...and let them have access to the NSA database to compile the most massive playbook in the history of football. Forget a binder, you'll need a couple warehouses.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Just call them the Spooks...and let them have access to the NSA database to compile the most massive playbook in the history of football. Forget a binder, you'll need a couple warehouses.
    Desk Jockeys or Bureaucrat No. 5
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The Washington Spooks - not controversial at all! I always was partial to the "Washington Monuments," especially if the players were a bunch of stiffs
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The Washington Spooks - not controversial at all! I always was partial to the "Washington Monuments," especially if the players were a bunch of stiffs

The playbook is streaming in real time.

I second the "spooks". That was my first thought on the name change too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Pugilistic Potomacs

Cantankerous Constitutionalists

Lillylivered Lawgivers
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The Joustin' Jesuits of Marquette!

NONE SHALL PASS!

How about the Washington Roosevelt Franklins???

They could keep the same colors and everything...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Swede;

Chief Wahoo is Cleveland Indians
    Chief Knock a Homma is Atlanta.

Willie Wampum is Marquette.

Some facts are hard to come by, uffdah

Good ole Southeastern State has a liberal fit and changed the name from Savages to Savage Storm.

Pee You.

I for one like Warner Brothers 1930's 1940's cartoons.

The Woody Woodpecker and Terri Toons are not for the most dainty of liberal thought process, if any.

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner6600 View Post
    Swede;

Chief Wahoo is Cleveland Indians
    Chief Knock a Homma is Atlanta.

Willie Wampum is Marquette.

Some facts are hard to come by, uffdah

Good ole Southeastern State has a liberal fit and changed the name from Savages to Savage Storm.

Pee You.

I for one like Warner Brothers 1930's 1940's cartoons.

The Woody Woodpecker and Terri Toons are not for the most dainty of liberal thought process, if any.
    Uffdah? Oh gosh. Here we go.

Ole and Lars were working for the city public works department in Wisconsin. Ole would dig a hole and Lars would follow behind and fill the hole in. They worked up one side of the street, then down the other, then moved on to the next street, working furiously all day without rest, one digging a hole, the other filling it in again.

An onlooker was amazed at their hard work, but couldn't understand what they were doing. So he asked Ole, 'I'm impressed by the effort you two are putting in to your work, but I don't get it -- why do you dig a hole, only to have your partner follow behind and fill it up again?'

Ole, the hole digger, wiped his brow and sighed, 'Vell, I suppose it probably looks odd because ve're normally a three-person team. But today Sven, who plants da trees called in sick.'
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Ole, Lena & Sven are fishing in Northern Wisconsin one summer. Sven accidentally drops his sunglasses in the water and decides to go in after them. After awhile, he fails to come up and Ole & Lena both remember Sven can't swim. Ole goes in after him and after a bit, gets the body up into the boat. After starting mouth-to-mouth..Ole says "I don't recall Sven having breath this bad"...To which Lena replies..."I don't think he was wearing that snowmobile suit either".
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...ongress/23059/

Roger Goodell Defends Redskins Name In Letter To Congress

Cold, Hard Football Facts for Jun 12, 2013
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

This is a tough issue. I think the main reason is because the name has been around so long and most are desensitized to it. I can't imagine an expansion team being given a similar name today.
    Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

This doesn't add anything to the discussion, but it was considered pretty funny when it came out:

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    This doesn't add anything to the discussion....
    welcome to Packerrats

Shouldn't the Cleveland Indians have Sanjai Najanamabad as a mascot?

As PB has pointed out (if I read correctly in my skimming), it's not the association with the tribes that gets to some people it's the name itself. The 49ers could be renamed the yellowskins I suppose. The team could wear socks and sandals instead of cleats and carry around digital cameras.

LA's next expansion team should be the brownskins, and they could all come on to the field in low riders with murals painted on the back shooting pistols in the air.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    LA's next expansion team should be the brownskins, and they could all come on to the field in low riders with murals painted on the back shooting pistols in the air.
    As a Brownskin I must say I find nothing offensive about this.

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    I have a simple test -- could you go into a bar filled with native americans and shout out, "Hi'ya, Redskins"?

Apply the same test to a bar full of Scandinavians, this time referring to the denizens as "Vikings" -- you'd be drinking free all night.

So don't waste my time with false equivalencies. This should be easy. The name is clearly offensive and archaic. And just because it's been used for a long time doesn't mean squat. The passage of time does not make stupid stuff unstupid; it just makes it stupider that it's not getting fixed.

And, as MadScientist pointed out, there's such an easy solution. Call 'em the "PigSkins." The fightsong can be easily modified (substitute "Hogs" for "Braves"), and the hog merchandising opportunities should make the front-office drool.

This needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I have a simple test -- could you go into a bar filled with native americans and shout out, "Hi'ya, Redskins"?

Apply the same test to a bar full of Scandinavians, this time referring to the denizens as "Vikings" -- you'd be drinking free all night.

So don't waste my time with false equivalencies. This should be easy. The name is clearly offensive and archaic. And just because it's been used for a long time doesn't mean squat. The passage of time does not make stupid stuff unstupid; it just makes it stupider that it's not getting fixed.

And, as MadScientist pointed out, there's such an easy solution. Call 'em the "PigSkins." The fightsong can be easily modified (substitute "Hogs" for "Braves"), and the hog merchandising opportunities should make the front-office drool.

This needs to happen.
    Hi Noodle:

Your use of analogy and logic makes the question look simple.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau