Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skinbasket Weighs in on New Redskins Nicknames

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Just call them the Spooks...and let them have access to the NSA database to compile the most massive playbook in the history of football. Forget a binder, you'll need a couple warehouses.
    The Washington Spooks - not controversial at all! I always was partial to the "Washington Monuments," especially if the players were a bunch of stiffs
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Maybe they could be the Punchin' Potowatamis.

Or the Red Skin Baskets.
    The Punchin' Potowatamis.

You just made 'my Lady' Mae laugh Fritz. Mae says that she's 'a lover' not a fighter.

Also...that's spelled Potawatomi. Mae's origin is one half Potawatomi (Maternal); the other half French-Quebecois (Paternal).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potawatomi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebecois
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I heard a story that the DC organization has already copyrighted the name "Buckskins".

That way they could keep their copyright on the shortened "Skins" nickname.
    Sheepskins, Potatoskins, Thinskins (you could nickname them the asshats, and get banned), Rednoses, Redrums, Redinks, Redlines.....
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I recall Marquette changing their name. I also remember back in the day, you would go to the game and a college kid would come out at halftime and do an authentic Indian dance. The thing was legit, but I guess it aroused the ire of the sensitive types. Ironic thing was that just a generation later I recall my kindergarten kid (In Madison, no less) going to an authentic Indian dance celebrating Native American Heritage and it was almost exactly the same thing, except that it was promoted for a week on NPR prior to the field trip. I guess if it's in the name of Capitalism it's evil and demeaning, but in the name of celebrating diversity, it's great. Context, context...

That is the unfortunate thing about time and distance. If Marquette had been a little more careful earlier, perhaps either sought sanction or invited the tribes to participate with the kid/mascot, I think it could have been avoided.

No one can convince me that a school in Milwaukee (named Marquette for God's sake) and in a State that was/is home to several tribes could not have found classes, performances and real world interaction/internships/scholarships/etc that incorporated actual Indigenous Culture with the school that would have made sticking with Warriors possible.

And I think the school would have benefitted far more than the Tribes in a way that had nothing to do with a kid dressed up at halftime.

But I am an incorrigible optimist.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Pugilistic Potomacs

Cantankerous Constitutionalists

Lillylivered Lawgivers

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Just call them the Spooks...and let them have access to the NSA database to compile the most massive playbook in the history of football. Forget a binder, you'll need a couple warehouses.
    The playbook is streaming in real time.

I second the "spooks". That was my first thought on the name change too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That is the unfortunate thing about time and distance. If Marquette had been a little more careful earlier, perhaps either sought sanction or invited the tribes to participate with the kid/mascot, I think it could have been avoided.

No one can convince me that a school in Milwaukee (named Marquette for God's sake) and in a State that was/is home to several tribes could not have found classes, performances and real world interaction/internships/scholarships/etc that incorporated actual Indigenous Culture with the school that would have made sticking with Warriors possible.

And I think the school would have benefitted far more than the Tribes in a way that had nothing to do with a kid dressed up at halftime.

But I am an incorrigible optimist.
    The whole point of Marquette changing their name was liberal scraping. It wouldn't have been any fun for them if it was a pragmatic decision addressing an actual grievance. It isn't problem-solving or addressing a real issue. Once upon a time the name was selected because it meant something fierce and noble. The name was dropped because the action had political meaning.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

wrong thread
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    This is a great topic so let's keep politics out of the thread so it doesn't get moved.
    Well...it's a topic about DC. The Senate is getting involved.

Methinks it's inherently political!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Well...it's a topic about DC. The Senate is getting involved.

Methinks it's inherently political!
    It is inherently political...for institutions and constituencies that wish to change names of sports teams, or at least it is a kind of social activism that is clearly aligned with a political agenda.

It is not political for the constituencies that want to keep the names of sports teams as they are. Those constituencies are loyal and local and far more numerous than those agitating for change, generally speaking, and they usually cannot stand up to the pressure exerted by people skilled in the use of media.

As far as I am concerned the re-naming of any sports team does not bother me greatly. The Viking blood that runs through my veins does not connect me in any way to that awful purple team, but it has made me susceptible to sunburn.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

The whole Warrior name change thing was stupid. I agree that the name was originally intended to be complimentary and they could have left well enough alone. Snyder (who actually owns the team--not Congress) has said he's not changing the name.

And for the record there is no way that the op could have been Skinbasket. He would NEVER misspell "douchebags."
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    The whole Warrior name change thing was stupid. I agree that the name was originally intended to be complimentary and they could have left well enough alone. Snyder (who actually owns the team--not Congress) has said he's not changing the name.

And for the record there is no way that the op could have been Skinbasket. He would NEVER misspell "douchebags."
    The name would have been far more complimentary if they had abandoned the logos and accoutrements earlier. The fact that these did change over time points to the fact that far-sighted admins could have acted in such a way to prevent name trouble by courting the Tribes earlier.

This is far better, though if that's a Badger on his head then I reserve the right to change my mind.

The name would have been far more complimentary if they had abandoned the logos and accoutrements earlier. The fact that these did change over time points to the fact that far-sighted admins could have acted in such a way to prevent name trouble by courting the Tribes earlier.
    You right about this. I find the Washington Redskins name is pretty awkward, but their logo is cool. The Atlanta Braves nickname is cool, but Chief Wahoo is as insulting as a 1940's Warner Brothers cartoon.

The images you found are old for a reason. They were outdated and reflected badly on the school. But the Chief Wahoo image still shows up, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The Washington Spooks - not controversial at all! I always was partial to the "Washington Monuments," especially if the players were a bunch of stiffs

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post

This is what I don't get - even if the symbol is kinda silly like the Cleveland Indians these teams originally chose these symbols because of their fierceness and were complimentary. Why are these teams being forced to change are now going with birds of prey? They aren't gonna call themselves the Marquette Warblers or Sparrows.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    You right about this. I find the Washington Redskins name is pretty awkward, but their logo is cool. The Atlanta Braves nickname is cool, but Chief Wahoo is as insulting as a 1940's Warner Brothers cartoon.

The images you found are old for a reason. They were outdated and reflected badly on the school. But the Chief Wahoo image still shows up, doesn't it?
    Yep. In fact the Indians went away from it for a while, using just a 'C', but went back to it at the new stadium I think.

But the fact that folks did eventually find the caricatures of the Warrior in bad taste, I think, points out that people were beginning to be uneasy with the idea.

But rather than simply restrict themselves to less offensive images, if they had embraced the culture they were expropriating, they would have stood a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This is what I don't get - even if the symbol is kinda silly like the Cleveland Indians these teams originally chose these symbols because of their fierceness and were complimentary. Why are these teams being forced to change are now going with birds of prey? They aren't gonna call themselves the Marquette Warblers or Sparrows.
    1. They aren't actually Indians of course. It would be more like naming the team the Cleveland Russkies in honor of the local Ukrainian population.
    2. The logo is about as offensive as it could be unless it was trying to threaten you with an ax.
    3. The mascot at halftime is doing a dance that has nothing to do with a sporting event, is not explained nor given context and is probably wearing an outfit that contains items associated with tribes that didn't live in the area.
    4. The University sells the merchandise now associated with the logo, name and dancer and its an open question whether anyone related to an indigenous tribe will benefit from it.
    5. People associated with indigenous tribes might have little to do with the University itself. Either enrollment, areas of study, Board of Trustees, etc.
    6. The school was named after a missionary. Members of indigenous tribes might have a different opinion of Catholic missionaries that the Catholic School students who make up a substantial portion of the student population. Marquette seems to have had a good relationship with those he encountered, it was not always so with other missionaries.

The Joustin' Jesuits of Marquette!

NONE SHALL PASS!

I bet this one was nixed because it frightened young children - and was probably made with highly friable asbestos-laden plaster-like material.