Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: So... Aaron Hernandez

Quote Originally Posted by TravisWilliams23 View Post
    I wonder how Tom Brady feels about his receiving corps now. Lost Welker, Hernandez and Gronk is questionable with his back and arm. There's 3 targets he knew like the back of his hand. As for Hernandez' jersey, the Pats should hire that Packer fan who turned Bert's # 4 into a Havner 41. It's going to be tough but that man had talent!
    He was overheard complaining yesterday that his current receiver corps is lacking that killer instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I apologize, Patler. I don't think I was even responding to you, it was the guy who called me a moron or idiot, or whatever it was. Not my proudest moment.

Accepted. Thanks. Over and done with.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I always speculated that Dahmer was put in general for that very reason, I.e.: the prison bosses wanted prison justice.
    Ya, many speculated that at the time. As I recall, there was a standard internal investigation that we never heard the results of.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Ya, many speculated that at the time. As I recall, there was a standard internal investigation that we never heard the results of.
    It was win-win-win. Got the capital punishment he deserved, it didn't cost an arm and a leg (it is apparently more $$$ to put someone to death than to incarcerate them for 25 years!) and he got a lot more of the pain and suffering he deserved than if he was killed by the state!

Dahmer was in isolation for a while, but had been transferred to the general prison population. He survived an attempted slashing, but was left in the general population. He, Jesse Anderson who murdered his wife in a mall parking lot and blamed it on muggers and a third convicted murder were left alone on a cleaning detail, without a guard. The third guy bludgeoned both Dahmer and Anderson.
    Wikipedia tells me the killer was named Christopher Scarver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Scarver
    I'd never read the story - wow, took the two of them out single handedly. I doubt Dahmer or the Anderson guy were real tough nuts though.
    Last edited by Guiness; 06-29-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Age and cost. Amendola is Welker but younger, though with more injuries in the previous year and a half.
    Yes, but I bet if they could rewind things right now they'd pay Welker. I saw somewhere else that the top 5 pass for NE this year will not be on the field week 1 - Welker, Lloyd (still an FA), Gronk, Hernandez and Woodhead (now with Chargers). Crazy.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    It was win-win-win. Got the capital punishment he deserved, it didn't cost an arm and a leg (it is apparently more $$$ to put someone to death than to incarcerate them for 25 years!) and he got a lot more of the pain and suffering he deserved than if he was killed by the state!

Wikipedia tells me the killer was named Christopher Scarver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Scarver
    I'd never read the story - wow, took the two of them out single handedly. I doubt Dahmer or the Anderson guy were real tough nuts though.
    My memory failed me, there. I thought that two dudes killed JD, I had no idea one dude killed JD and another scumbag.

As for TB, he might be ready to take some exercise equipment to AH for being such a dumbass.

Blog Entries
    Age and cost. Amendola is Welker but younger, though with more injuries in the previous year and a half.
    I follow both of these guys and I was on board with Danny Pro Bowl Amendola (in fantasy circles I've been calling him that ....jokingly...for a while.............but I have to put two things out there

Welker is quicker in his cuts in route running than DA is
    And Amendola.....my annual sleeper for my fantasy roster...can't stay healthy...Welker generally does
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Not every teammate has bailed on Hernandez. Deion Branch speaks up for his former teammate, though he wisely steers clear of pronouncing him the victim.

http://m.albanyherald.com/news/2013/...mplates=mobile

“Aaron is a great guy and a great friend of mine and a great teammate,” Branch told The Herald “I love him to death, and it was shocking to hear his name involved in this situation. I truly hope and pray he doesn’t have any dealings with it.”
    “That’s my guy, man,” Branch said of Hernandez. “That’s my guy. It really shocked me. He was a great kid. Overall, I hope the best that he isn’t involved with it and I hope he gets his name cleared, but most importantly I send my prayers and condolences out to the Lloyd family.”
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...oting/related/

Hernandez was interviewed by the Gainesville Police as part of an investigation into a shooting when he was at Florida (I think this was his freshman year). However, the police are saying the interview was very brief and that the interview was prompted because his name came up once the the initial report as having been in the area of a club near the shooting. Also mentioned as interviewed were Reggie Nelson and the Pouncey twins.

But this quote is what caught my eye:

Hernandez played for the Gators from 2007-10 and was a member of Urban Meyer‘s third UF recruiting class. Meyer, now the head coach at Ohio State, has come under scrutiny since his former player’s arrest, with the New York Times publishing an exposé in which the paper wrote that the coach said the talented but troubled player “had been rehabilitated with daily Bible study sessions that the coach conducted personally.”
    Was he in such trouble with his drug tests that he needed this intervention or were there other things going on? And how many players were in the group?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Not every teammate has bailed on Hernandez. Deion Branch speaks up for his former teammate, though he wisely steers clear of pronouncing him the victim.

http://m.albanyherald.com/news/2013/...mplates=mobile
    That was really well-spoken by Branch. Hernandez could have read it and felt the loyalty, and the victim's family could have read it without feeling disrespected.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    That was really well-spoken by Branch. Hernandez could have read it and felt the loyalty, and the victim's family could have read it without feeling disrespected.
    With the added bonus that he won't cap Branch's ass next time he sees him!

Read some comments on that story, some calling Branch naive, etc, that he's guilty as sin after this trial by media. One poster brought up a good point though...before you declare him guilty, read the following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

It's the story of the three Duke lacrosse players that were tried by media, a ridiculously overzealous prosecutor and a flawed process which included, among other things, the accuser being shown a photo lineup that included only the suspects. The lacrosse coach was forced to resign and the Blue Devils cancelled their season.
    --

The Duke lacrosse team situation was almost the exact opposite. Players had receipts and witnesses that put them in completely different areas at the time of the assault. Per one report of the Hernandez indictment, the police have solid evidence of Hernandez picking up Lloyd, and their cellphones pinging the same towers at the same time from Lloyds place to where his body was found, the last within minutes of the estimated time of death.

The Duke lacrosse team situation was almost the exact opposite. Players had receipts and witnesses that put them in completely different areas at the time of the assault. Per one report of the Hernandez indictment, the police have solid evidence of Hernandez picking up Lloyd, and their cellphones pinging the same towers at the same time from Lloyds place to where his body was found, the last within minutes of the estimated time of death.
    Maybe I should not have mentioned the police side, because you are right, by all appearance so far it seems like they've got it all together, and have stepped carefully...as they are want to do in a situation where the defendant is going to have a few million dollars at his disposal to spend on his defense.

I was referring more to the trial by media...where everyone assumes he's guilty because of what's been written about it.
    --

I think there is a parallel seen from this point of each incident. The initial, publicly released material in the Duke case all seemed to point to a team event and assault of a woman. It was after that public disclosure of the prosecutor's information that mitigating details, including the reason the women was familiar with the team to begin with, etc., began to surface.

Many players on the team did have alibi's and weren't involved, but those details emerged later from the defense. And we haven't heard much from the defense yet.

My recollection is that the Duke case seemed weak from the start. Holes were evident at every stage of the investigation. My impression was that the media very early on portrayed the prosecutor as grasping for straws in pursuing the case. The school may have over-reacted, but was probably in a situation were they could do little else.

I think there is a reason we haven't heard much from the Hernandez defense yet, they haven't figured out what to say. All he argued at the hearing was that the case was circumstantial, which in reality is no different than a great many criminal cases. Even the judge said although it was circumstantial, it was “...a very, very strong circumstantial case." I don't recall anyone feeling that way in the Duke players case, even at the start.

So does this mean NE is in the market for a receiving TE? You think they'd trade for D.J.Williams? I imagine there are a lot of phone calls going around the league on the Patriots' receiving corps.

I don't know if NE would be willing to part with a draft pick for Williams. They might decide to wait and see what players don't make other squads at the end of TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't know if NE would be willing to part with a draft pick for Williams. They might decide to wait and see what players don't make other squads at the end of TC.
    If they want production and feel they need more talent, they will try to get someone sooner rather than later to get the timing with Brady down. As for parting with picks for Williams, what is he actually worth? Maybe a conditional 6th at most. They'd probably give a good pick for Finley, but with the Hernandez cap hit, I don't think they can possibly take on Finley's salary.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

My recollection is that the Duke case seemed weak from the start. Holes were evident at every stage of the investigation. My impression was that the media very early on portrayed the prosecutor as grasping for straws in pursuing the case. The school may have over-reacted, but was probably in a situation were they could do little else.

I think there is a reason we haven't heard much from the Hernandez defense yet, they haven't figured out what to say. All he argued at the hearing was that the case was circumstantial, which in reality is no different than a great many criminal cases. Even the judge said although it was circumstantial, it was “...a very, very strong circumstantial case." I don't recall anyone feeling that way in the Duke players case, even at the start.
    Well, in the Lacrosse case you had two groups of people giving slanted and plain bad info to the public. DA Nifong, who was disbarred over his actions during the investigation and trial.

And columnists who were grinding a "no snitching" axe and felt that the La Crosse case fit the template: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A9609C8B63

Straight news pieces might have painted a different picture but I recall it took some time to walk back the conventional wisdom on that one.