Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: GUNS!

Seen a few YouTube vids on the Tavor. What are your thoughts on the trigger 3irty1? Ones I've seen said the trigger pull is pretty hefty, but otherwise is solid and well put together. Looks like it disassembles pretty easily for cleaning.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

My father gave me a Winchester 1901 for goose hunting when I was a kid. My god that thing is loud. Every once in awhile I'll break it out to impress the friends.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    So its a 16" barrel and a fraction of an inch over 26" total which makes it barely legal without a tax stamp on both accounts. Takes standard AR-15 mags, is long-stroke piston action like an AK which is awesome. Has built in flip up sights in that rail on top which are decent and co-witness with normal AR-15 red dots and such. Skin you got one in your WROL kit?
    I haven't handled one yet to know how it would fit my muscular shoulders. Looks like it would be fun, but expensive fun. For now, I would lean toward the AR "pistol" barrel on a regular build for tactical purposing, as it delivers the compact size at a much lower cost, if I had the money to buy a non-hunting firearm.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Seen a few YouTube vids on the Tavor. What are your thoughts on the trigger 3irty1? Ones I've seen said the trigger pull is pretty hefty, but otherwise is solid and well put together. Looks like it disassembles pretty easily for cleaning.
    The trigger was shit. Worse than a GI trigger on an AR-15. The good news is that it takes 5 seconds to pull the whole trigger group and I understand there are very good drop in replacements available.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 04-01-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    I haven't handled one yet to know how it would fit my muscular shoulders. Looks like it would be fun, but expensive fun. For now, I would lean toward the AR "pistol" barrel on a regular build for tactical purposing, as it delivers the compact size at a much lower cost, if I had the money to buy a non-hunting firearm.
    Here in Iowa we can't get short barreled rifles even with a tax stamp so if I were to get an AR pistol it'd have to actually be a pistol. Plus, if I were to get a SBR I'd want one in .300 blackout and also a suppressor, that's $400 just in tax stamps. I'd rather just get a 30+ mag or two for a handgun for something compact.

Someday they are supposedly going to sell barrels to convert the Tavor to .300 blk. With the long piston gas system and short length I'd think that would be an excellent platform for a suppressor.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 04-01-2014 at 09:02 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    My father gave me a Winchester 1901 for goose hunting when I was a kid. My god that thing is loud. Every once in awhile I'll break it out to impress the friends.
    Do you hunt deaf geese?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Do you hunt deaf geese?
    When I'm done they are.
    C.H.U.D.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    When I'm done they are.
    Existential and Metaphysical!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Here in Iowa we can't get short barreled rifles even with a tax stamp so if I were to get an AR pistol it'd have to actually be a pistol. Plus, if I were to get a SBR I'd want one in .300 blackout and also a suppressor, that's $400 just in tax stamps. I'd rather just get a 30+ mag or two for a handgun for something compact.

Someday they are supposedly going to sell barrels to convert the Tavor to .300 blk. With the long piston gas system and short length I'd think that would be an excellent platform for a suppressor.
    You can't get short barreled rifles here either, but there are 223 "pistols" for sale, as well as barrels, which I hear are very easily swapped to an otherwise regular ar-15. That would be illegal, so I haven't done it, or shot one, but it is interesting to note.

As an aside, the suppressor laws in this nation are fucking stupid. There are many practical varmit applications on a farm for which a suppressor would be useful, but people think they make rifles more deadly, because that's what movie snipers and hitmen use, so you have to get your C3FFL, spend hours on the phone with your government by the people for the people, pay your stamps, then pay someone to properly install it so you don't fuck it up.
    Last edited by SkinBasket; 04-03-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    You can't get short barreled rifles here either, but there are 223 "pistols" for sale, as well as barrels, which I hear are very easily swapped to an otherwise regular ar-15. That would be illegal, so I haven't done it, or shot one, but it is interesting to note.

As an aside, the suppressor laws in this nation are fucking stupid. There are many practical varmit applications on a farm for which a suppressor would be useful, but people think they make rifles more deadly, because that's what movie snipers and hitmen use, so you have to get your C3FFL, spend hours on the phone with your government by the people for the people, pay your stamps, then pay someone to properly install it so you don't fuck it up.
    Plus the suppressors themselves cost a fucking fortune for some reason as if they aren't just tubes full of baffles. Right now there is legislation working its way through Iowa to legalize suppressors and if it goes through I'll probably pony up, I'm tempted to machine it myself though instead of shelling out another grand. The $200 tax stamp price was set in 1934 when 200 was equivalent to 3500 bucks so its hard to imagine even this much freedom lasting long. Then again, SLS 3D printers will probably make the most cutting edge suppressors trivial to make at home one day so who knows.

I inherited this shotgun.

A Winchester Model 1912 Pump Action Shot Gun.

I've never personally fired it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=409391262#PIC
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I inherited this shotgun.

A Winchester Model 1912 Pump Action Shot Gun.

I've never personally fired it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=409391262#PIC
    Most of the deer I've taken was with this rifle:

A lever action 30/30 model 64 Winchester in Walnut.

My hunting Bud used the same gun but the stock was in apple wood and a tad heavier.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

That's an image of the shotgun I shot my first ducks with.

An H & R Topper.

As an adult this was my duck gun of choice:

A Remington Model 1100 3 1/2 inch magnum load semi-auto shot gun:

Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-18-2014 at 04:42 AM.

My goose gun is a Spanish 10 gage double barrel shotgun; that will paralyze you if your not stout or in shape and need to fire a dozen shells to limit out (six geese):

Any multi-gun competitors around here? I just shot my first match. I think I'm hooked.