Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad locker room in Miami?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bad locker room in Miami?

I posted a line about Jonathan Martin walking out on the Dolphins in another thread, and at the time I was thinking his response to a 'prank' sounded a lot more like someone who is being teased and bullied.

Well, seems like that's the case. Stories are coming out now that his nickname was 'The Big Weirdo' and he's saying it's an abusive environment, the taunts and teasing involved his family.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rtin-in-miami/

Not a good scene. Philbin does not seem to be doing a good job of keeping his players under control down there at all.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The last sentence of that article is kind of a bolt from the blue sky. I wonder if Martin is (or is at least perceived as) gay.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The last sentence of that article is kind of a bolt from the blue sky. I wonder if Martin is (or is at least perceived as) gay.
    I think that part is just Florio's click-farming.

It sounds more like they were teasing him because he's nerdy. His parents are Harvard-educated lawyers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I think that part is just Florio's click-farming.

It sounds more like they were teasing him because he's nerdy. His parents are Harvard-educated lawyers.
    Yeah, I thought it was Florio at it again, too.

Kid went to Stanford, majored in the classics.

He's from North Hollywood, CA.

If he was from West Hollywood, there would be no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I wondered about that too. I can understand if he was getting rookie hazing but he's a second year player.

I wonder who the instigator is? There are some solid citizens in that bunch.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    This is the kind of adults we are raising...oh boo fucking hoo you got picked on for being different get the hell over it and make your millions and shut the hell up!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    This is the kind of adults we are raising...oh boo fucking hoo you got picked on for being different get the hell over it and make your millions and shut the hell up!
    Imagine everywhere you went at work, your coworkers were taunting you and your family....for 6 solid months.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Imagine everywhere you went at work, your coworkers were taunting you and your family....for 6 solid months.
    18 months. The guy chose to stop taking shit after a year and a half. He got pissed off and left. I don't see anywhere that he whined to anyone in the media or otherwise about it. There aren't any really good details about what made him do so -- only speculation based on a few observations -- so no one actually knows the depth of what went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    +1
    Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    im not one for soft behavior but I think you have it partly right. These ARE the kind of adults being raised. To act like fucking children, to look down upon someone for being "smart" or for not being "hard". Reality is people don't know how to act right and this is one of those cases IMO. The world is full of wannabe thugs who think lowering yourself to shit is cool. Seems to be rampant among poor folk as I have personally seen.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    im not one for soft behavior but I think you have it partly right. These ARE the kind of adults being raised. To act like fucking children, to look down upon someone for being "smart" or for not being "hard". Reality is people don't know how to act right and this is one of those cases IMO. The world is full of wannabe thugs who think lowering yourself to shit is cool. Seems to be rampant among poor folk as I have personally seen.
    Thanks for pointing out the other side. Not only are we raising whimps that cant take it we are also raising whimps that need a group to pick on an individual.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Maybe I'm taking this conversation too seriously, but it's hard for me not to take bullying seriously. I was the victim of vicious bullying in school for almost an entire decade and had parents who were too busy with their own issues to teach a shy kid to stand up for himself. Without those tools and not being the kind of kid who retaliated (I believed even then that everyone you meet should be treated with respect and good will), I entered a very dark period in my life where my fondest thoughts were of suicide. It took me another fifteen years to clean up that messy, destructive cycle of despair.

Now, looking back, I can easily say that my parents failed by not giving me the tools to protect myself, but the blame lies solely on the shoulders of the bullies. Anyone who feels the need to stand taller by putting someone else down, especially the easy targets, don't deserve anything except the harshest penalties. There is zero justification for that. I don't care how much anyone is making, what their social status is, what their skills are, what they look like, or anything. Nobody should ever have to be bullied. Ever.

So, Tony, would you mind explaining why people who aren't good at taking bullying or standing up to bullies are "wimps"? It seems to me that assessment blames the victim and not the perpetrator (be it the parents who didn't equip a child or the bullies for being bullies).
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 11-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Maybe I'm taking this conversation too seriously, but it's hard for me not to take bullying seriously. I was the victim of vicious bullying in school for almost an entire decade and had parents who were too busy with their own issues to teach a shy kid to stand up for himself. Without those tools and not being the kind of kid who retaliated (I believed even then that everyone you meet should be treated with respect and good will), I entered a very dark period in my life where my fondest thoughts were of suicide. It took me another fifteen years to clean up that messy, destructive cycle of despair.

Now, looking back, I can easily say that my parents failed by not giving me the tools to protect myself, but the blame lies solely on the shoulders of the bullies. Anyone who feels the need to stand taller by putting someone else down, especially the easy targets, don't deserve anything except the harshest penalties. There is zero justification for that. I don't care how much anyone is making, what their social status is, what their skills are, what they look like, or anything. Nobody should ever have to be bullied. Ever.

So, Tony, would you mind explaining why people who aren't good at taking bullying or standing up to bullies are "wimps"? It seems to me that assessment blames the victim and not the perpetrator (be it the parents who didn't equip a child or the bullies for being bullies).
    Were you a 24 year old that was 6-2 310? sorry no. I am sorry you were bullied I can imagine that sucks and if it gave you suicidal thoughts I am really glad you did not follow through. Your parents, teachers and people in authority when you were a minor failed you. This guy, though PB makes a point in the post below, is getting "picked" on in a locker room, ever been in one? It happens all the time. I hope we find out what actually happened because it has a great possibibility to change my mind but what facts we have now I say buck up buttercup.

Now to your situation. I have a son and I know I have taught him and will continue to teach him to stand up for himself and others, what I am saying is we are raising kids that think they are #1 when they dont accomplish anything, tell them they are smart when they fail and move them along the system regardless of merit. My son is 7, he has 6 trophies. I was a three sport athlete from kindergarden on and I have 9 total trophies, a lot of ribbons, but what the hell, my son is even sick of getting participation trophies. We are not raising our children to thrive in adversity and this will have an adverse affect on our country in the coming decades.

ok I see I was late w my assumption....

Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

Does anyone remember any of this from last year during the Dolphin's Hard Knocks?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Does anyone remember any of this from last year during the Dolphin's Hard Knocks?
    I watched it and I don't remember anything really.

Just glancing over their roster, trying to figure out who's been picking on Martin. My money is on Incognito and Pouncey.
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post

Just glancing over their roster, trying to figure out who's been picking on Martin. My money is on Incognito and Pouncey.
    Yeah, Big Richie is a major asshole.

The only thing I remember from that Hard Knocks was Joe Philbin firing Chad Johnson.

Seemed like Joe was in control during that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post

Incognito is being investigated for his role in this. No surprise there. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99...an-martin-case
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen