Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad locker room in Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Based on my own and others encounters with Inhuman Resources
    i bet you're one of those mexicans that can't take a friendly little joke and goes crying to HR every time someone calls you a beaner or wetback, or a drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i bet you're one of those mexicans that can't take a friendly little joke and goes crying to HR every time someone calls you a beaner or wetback, or a drunk?
    I would never call that pendejo names like that.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I think what Tony isn't seeing is the business side of all this. In likely every corporation there is a HR. Based on my own and others encounters with Inhuman Resources it always seems like they are looking out for the company and nothing else. I have yet to see where they took the side of what is right over what is right for the company. I think this situation is just like that. Dude went through the process and realized nothing was going to be done so he said fuck it.
    See I don't see that he did go through the process and that is my beef with this, sounds like he endured this "inhumane" treatement, at the hands of a mean racist that intimidated him by locking him up in the locker room and only letting him out to practice and play, as long as his delicate brain could take it then looked at some spaghetti with SPAM and threw it down, ran to the window and said THESE FLOOR ARE DIRTY AS HELL AND IM NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    I think there is no mental toughness in what he did. Was it gutsy as hell throwing away that much cash hell yeah. He did not have to accept the abuse, he could have gone to OTAs and said no to the money extortion. When he has a complaint there is a process just like the real life. Did this guy have NO friends on the team in a year? How is that possible? I would go first to friends to see if that happens to them or former teamates from Stanford to see if it was happening to them on other teams, if it was then it is a systemic problem throughout the NFL, since it sounds like this doesnt happen then I would have gone to my position coach that I deal with on a practically hourly basis, if he said nothing I would have gone to the OC, I personally would keep going higher until it was addressed but I would be fine if that is where he stopped.

He, according to reports, didnt go to anyone then just snapped when eating some spaghetti.

Whats the charge? Hostile work environment? Get a witness. Your assertation has been he is a smart guy that doesn't need football and these neanderthals do so why would they jepordize their careers and testify against the club?
    So now there is a difference between "gutsy" (which he was) and "mental toughness" (which he lacked)? I don't see much of a difference in the two, so I'm not sure we can debate this much further.

I doubt many dissatisfied workers will go consult coworkers and friends, then confront their their immediate supervisor, department head, location manager, and company president before saying "hell with it" and simply leaving a job they find intolerable. I would likely go several levels up, but probably would not have as a 23-24 year old. I certainly don't expect everyone to do it, or be considered mentally soft or weak, whatever. Of course, most would do that only if it was a job they were desperate to stay in, which Martin may not have been.

According to reports, he did "complain to the team." He did not just snap when eating spaghetti. The only report I saw was that for some time no one would eat with him. On the day in question he was openly invited to a table. As soon as he sat down, everyone else at the table got up and left, again leaving him alone. Clearly an orchestrated event if it happened that way. Perhaps funny if random, but not funny when done to someone already treated as an outcast.

I'm not sure that Martin wants anything, or intended to charge anything. After all, he simply left and said nothing publicly. He didn't involve the press or make demands of the team that we know of. It was only the prying of the press that brought out reports from team sources about how he had been treated. His side said nothing until he needed to defend himself in the media.

I think what Tony isn't seeing is the business side of all this. In likely every corporation there is a HR. Based on my own and others encounters with Inhuman Resources it always seems like they are looking out for the company and nothing else. I have yet to see where they took the side of what is right over what is right for the company. I think this situation is just like that. Dude went through the process and realized nothing was going to be done so he said fuck it.
    The HR side of a football team, as far as the player is concerned, is the GM who is likely to dump you if you make his life difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The HR side of a football team, as far as the player is concerned, is the GM who is likely to dump you if you make his life difficult.
    Sometimes the TRUTH sucks.

Sometimes people don`t even realize the TRUTH.

Miami`s QB Ryan Tannihill on NFL.Com late this afternoon in a press conference...thought that Rich Incognito was the BEST teammate and that he and Johnathan Martin were like brothers or best Buds. That this whole story is a real shock .... a surprize to him.

The plot thickens.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Has Martin started an epidemic?

John Moffit walked away from Denver during their bye:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...6pLid%3D402275:

Just doesn't want to play anymore, not even for the possibility of a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    I blame Martin for not going to OTAs and being viewed as soft from the coaching staff and they task Icognito to toughen him up. I point to all the players that have played with Icognito that say they like the guy. I heard Cory Chavous say that today on the radio. I think Martin has a victim mentality and couldn't deal with the issues as a man and instead acted like a child. He did not bring it up to management, coaches, different team leadership besides Icognito but instead ran home to his parents and said the bad men were being mean.

I dont think Icognito did right by the way but this could and should have been taken care of behind the scenes.
    I suspect the same locker room culture that was violated by Martin prevents you from hearing from his teammates about his difficulties with them.

There have been no shortage of opponents who think he is unprincipled. Not to mention two teams (probably three soon) cutting ties with him because of problems he causes or gets mixed up in.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Has Martin started an epidemic?

John Moffit walked away from Denver during their bye:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...6pLid%3D402275:

Just doesn't want to play anymore, not even for the possibility of a Super Bowl.
    This happened at about the same time that the Martin story was breaking. It got a little play in local media but got totally overwhelmed by the other.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

So who was misunderstood more, Martin or Incognito? Tannehill was not the only Miami player to back this story.

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 1h
    Ryan Tannehill: "If you asked Jonathan Martin who his best friend is on this team two weeks ago, he'd say Richie Incognito."

Tannehill has strong words about the relationship between Incognito and Martin, noting Incognito was always first to be at Martin's side.

Do people see only what they want to see?

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 24m
    "Issue is not with Jonathan Martin, issue is with the other person," David Shaw on #CFB247podcast. http://on.nfl.com/1dLyEnp
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I just heard on the radio that Martin played "the tape" to teammates and they laughed at him. Who knows if that is true or not but it would put a damper on who Martin could talk to.

Apparently the issue in the dining room was that a bunch of players invited Martin to sit with them to eat. When he sat down all of the other players got up and walked away.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So who was misunderstood more, Martin or Incognito? Tannehill was not the only Miami player to back this story.

Ryan Tannehill: "If you asked Jonathan Martin who his best friend is on this team two weeks ago, he'd say Richie Incognito."

Tannehill has strong words about the relationship between Incognito and Martin, noting Incognito was always first to be at Martin's side.

Do people see only what they want to see?

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 24m
    "Issue is not with Jonathan Martin, issue is with the other person," David Shaw on #CFB247podcast. http://on.nfl.com/1dLyEnp
    "Hey, wassup, you half (expletive) piece of (expletive). I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. I'll (expletive) in your (expletive) mouth. I'm gonna slap your (expletive) mouth, I'm gonna slap your real mother across the face (laughter). (Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."
    Is this something that was said to try to intimidate someone? Or is this something you would only say to a close friend or family member understanding it would not be taken literally? I'm really starting to wonder.

you know joe, we need to hear the tape, because context and tone of voice make the whole difference here

i could easily see myself saying something similar to one of my friends

i guess there is a chance incognito thought he was playing all in good fun and didn't know martin wasn't taking it that way

In my opinion, Incognito will be playing for the Dolphins once this is completely investigated. Martin, not so much. Dolphin players are starting to speak up in Incognito's defense. http://nfl.si.com/2013/11/06/jonatha...2_a1&eref=sihp

@HubbuchNYP
    Hartline is outraged because he says Martin was passing the voicemail around earlier in the year and laughing about it.
    4:28 PM - 6 Nov 2013
    498 RETWEETS 63 FAVORITES

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

After reading the quotes from the ESPN and SI links in the last posts (and their linked stories), I don't feel at like I have any handle to comment anymore. Right now, I want to just throw up my hands. Maybe all the Dolphins loved Ritchie; maybe some of his ex-teammates didn't. Maybe Icognito and Martin were best buds; maybe they were a Stockholm relationship. It's amazing how the reporters can find an on-record source/analyst who will agree wholeheartedly with whatever narrative wind is blowing. I feel like I'm watching an 80's sitcom with the canned audience that can react appropriately at the press of a button. Or maybe a Greek chorus, for the more classical types.

I don't think it was as simple as Martin just walking away from a bad situation. He walked away from the lockerroom and checked into a hospital. Whatever was eating him up was something that he had held in for a while, and he had no clue how to do something about it. And while he's recovering, Incognito's voicemails are leaked to the media by "representatives," who at this point, would likely be his agent or parents.

I'm really beyond any clue as to deciding what should be right or normal in the NFL, and I'm not really trusting what anyone said. I want to believe that Incognito was a boorish boob, loved by his teammates as a "salt-of-the-earth" type; that Martin didn't know how to tell anyone on the team; that Philbin would have dropped everything to help him if he asked; that Gooddell is interested in everyone's long-term wellbeing more than PR appeasement; and that the reactions of all the ex-players in the studio sets are more specific and genuine than the prerecorded comments on the halftime shows of my NFL video game. But I'm pretty sure at least one of those may not be as accurate as my wishful thinking.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I hope Martin gets the help to put his brain back together so he is healthy and adjusted. I doubt he plays football again.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    After reading the quotes from the ESPN and SI links in the last posts (and their linked stories), I don't feel at like I have any handle to comment anymore. Right now, I want to just throw up my hands. Maybe all the Dolphins loved Ritchie; maybe some of his ex-teammates didn't. Maybe Icognito and Martin were best buds; maybe they were a Stockholm relationship. It's amazing how the reporters can find an on-record source/analyst who will agree wholeheartedly with whatever narrative wind is blowing. I feel like I'm watching an 80's sitcom with the canned audience that can react appropriately at the press of a button. Or maybe a Greek chorus, for the more classical types.

I don't think it was as simple as Martin just walking away from a bad situation. He walked away from the lockerroom and checked into a hospital. Whatever was eating him up was something that he had held in for a while, and he had no clue how to do something about it. And while he's recovering, Incognito's voicemails are leaked to the media by "representatives," who at this point, would likely be his agent or parents.

I'm really beyond any clue as to deciding what should be right or normal in the NFL, and I'm not really trusting what anyone said. I want to believe that Incognito was a boorish boob, loved by his teammates as a "salt-of-the-earth" type; that Martin didn't know how to tell anyone on the team; that Philbin would have dropped everything to help him if he asked; that Gooddell is interested in everyone's long-term wellbeing more than PR appeasement; and that the reactions of all the ex-players in the studio sets are more specific and genuine than the prerecorded comments on the halftime shows of my NFL video game. But I'm pretty sure at least one of those may not be as accurate as my wishful thinking.
    Good post with much thought and compassion in it.

Congratulations.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Good post with much thought and compassion in it.

D
    +1

Well said NB.

What we have here is a failure, to communicate.

Sources: Ireland suggested that Martin confront Incognito physically

Jeff Ireland, in a conversation with Martin's agent proposed that Martin confront Incognito, this would be prior to his departure last month. Punch him, is what the advice was.

So, was Incognito clueless enough to think Martin saw him as a friend? Was Martin friendless enough that prominent teammates could mistake the relationship for a friendship?

You know all the talk and work Rodgers puts into getting to know the players so he can effectively lead and communicate with them? He should get a raise.