Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft: QBs

Draft: QBs

The draft is relatively deep--although I don't think there's anybody I'd take in the top 20. I'd say overall it's a pretty average group with no sure thing.

My Top 10 QBs:

1) Derek Carr - When I look at this year's QBs, Carr is the only one that looks like an elite QB. I realize that he lacks poise at times and David Carr was a bust (in a tough situation as the #1 pick for an expansion team who lost his confidence getting sacked 70 times/year), but he has the best arm in the draft with good mobility. Reminds me of Jay Cutler.
    2) Johnny Manziel - Boom or bust. Intriguing, but some of what he got away with in college won't work in the NFL. Reminds me of Jeff Garcia (which is pretty good).
    3) Blake Bortles - I'm not a big fan. I think he's more of a second round talent. I like his size, mobility, and poise, but I don't see his arm strength/accuracy being anything more than solid.
    4) Teddy Bridgewater - Smart, accurate, and poised. Average arm strength and his Pro Day was startling.
    5) Zach Mettenberger - Big arm. Not much else. More accurate than Savage.
    6) Tom Savage - Big arm. Took a beating and bounced back. Not very accurate.
    7) Jimmy Garoppolo - Quick release, solid arm, solid mobility. Lacks poise. Reminds me a bit of Christian Ponder.
    8) Aaron Murray - Has everything you want except size.
    9) A.J. McCarron - Product of Alabama. After overrating Colt McCoy, I can't do the same with McCarron.
    10) David Fales - Reminds me a bit of Matt Flynn. I don't like him that much because he lacks elite size, arm strength, and mobility--but he's accurate and smart.

Some late round and priority FA guys that I like are: Bryn Renner, Garrett Gilbert, Casey Pachall (lots of baggage though), and Brock Jensen. Brendon Kay is another guy that has intriguing potential, but needs to be developed. I think Logan Thomas may get drafted ahead of Fales, but for his potential as a future TE as much as his QB potential. He's terribly inaccurate, but he's 6'6" 248, runs 4.61 40, and had a 35 1/2" vertical.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    The draft is relatively deep--although I don't think there's anybody I'd take in the top 20. I'd say overall it's a pretty average group with no sure thing.

My Top 10 QBs:

1) Derek Carr - When I look at this year's QBs, Carr is the only one that looks like an elite QB. I realize that he lacks poise at times and David Carr was a bust (in a tough situation as the #1 pick for an expansion team who lost his confidence getting sacked 70 times/year), but he has the best arm in the draft with good mobility. Reminds me of Jay Cutler.
    2) Johnny Manziel - Boom or bust. Intriguing, but some of what he got away with in college won't work in the NFL. Reminds me of Jeff Garcia (which is pretty good).
    3) Blake Bortles - I'm not a big fan. I think he's more of a second round talent. I like his size, mobility, and poise, but I don't see his arm strength/accuracy being anything more than solid.
    4) Teddy Bridgewater - Smart, accurate, and poised. Average arm strength and his Pro Day was startling.
    5) Zach Mettenberger - Big arm. Not much else. More accurate than Savage.
    6) Tom Savage - Big arm. Took a beating and bounced back. Not very accurate.
    7) Jimmy Garoppolo - Quick release, solid arm, solid mobility. Lacks poise. Reminds me a bit of Christian Ponder.
    8) Aaron Murray - Has everything you want except size.
    9) A.J. McCarron - Product of Alabama. After overrating Colt McCoy, I can't do the same with McCarron.
    10) David Fales - Reminds me a bit of Matt Flynn. I don't like him that much because he lacks elite size, arm strength, and mobility--but he's accurate and smart.

Some late round and priority FA guys that I like are: Bryn Renner, Garrett Gilbert, Casey Pachall (lots of baggage though), and Brock Jensen. Brendon Kay is another guy that has intriguing potential, but needs to be developed. I think Logan Thomas may get drafted ahead of Fales, but for his potential as a future TE as much as his QB potential. He's terribly inaccurate, but he's 6'6" 248, runs 4.61 40, and had a 35 1/2" vertical.

So when I read this and all I've done studying this position I still like Teddy Bridgewater to be the next QB for our foe the Minnesota Vikings.

I've also been checking this out as a comparison and Vikings @ QB:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Manziel

Johnny "Football" Manziel

Compared to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Tarkenton

Fran Tarkenton.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Pat Kirwan at CBS has Manziel as the only QB going in the 1st round.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I loved watching him in college, I hope he has a great career in the NFL, just not with the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I am not saying he is wrong about grades or value, but if he thinks teams will behave this way, he needs to take a vacation.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am not saying he is wrong about grades or value, but if he thinks teams will behave this way, he needs to take a vacation.
    No shit. I love listening to Kirwan on NFL radio. But to think that in a QB driven league that teams won't draft a potential franchise QB in the first round defies logic.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Here is Bob's QB grades from Scouts:

1. Manziel, 68
    2. Bortles, 61
    3. Carr, 49
    4. Bridgewater, 41
    5. Jimmy Garappolo, 16
    6. Mettenberger, six
    7. A.J. McCarron and Aaron Murray, five
    8. Tom Savage, three
    9. Logan Thomas, one.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...#ixzz30ZaZ5orf
    Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yup. All of these QBs are falling hard, and somehow Manziel has climbed to the top of the heap, craziness. I still bet 4-5 go in the first round though, just maybe later in the first round. Saw an article saying it makes some sense for teams to trade back into the end of the first if they're not sold on a QB, but still want to take one early, because it gets them the 5th year option.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fuck yeah!! Fresno St QB for the Packers sounds right. You bitches know why he wears #4 right? Bet he would love it in GB since he is from the San Joaquin Valley. I'm hoping he falls and TT swoops up.

Hi Harv, I have been looking for you in another thread.....

So if Manziel falls to #21, will Ted take him?

I hope not. I don't think there are any QB's in this draft that are much good. Maybe a couple of average-starter types.

I wouldn't mind a flyer on a guy later, like maybe Savage. Maybe MM could mold him a little. But if TT didn't take a QB at all, I'd be okay with that. We don't need another Ingle Martin or Brian Brohm.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Forgot to add what the Packers generally look for at the position. There could always be exceptions (Cobb broke the WR must be at least 5'11" rule a few years ago), but these are kind of general rules.

Packers traits: Thompson generally brings in QBs that are at least 6'2" with solid accuracy and solid mobility who fit a precision passing scheme. He has gone outside these when taking late round fliers on Ingle Martin and B.J. Coleman, but they haven't worked out.

The QBs in this draft that fit these criteria:
    Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Jimmy Garoppolo, A.J. McCarron (barely on mobility), Garrett Gilbert, Bryn Renner, Brendon Kay, and Brock Jensen.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

DP
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-08-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Final Consensus Rankings of the 24 QBs I looked at. We'll see if this works with the way the forum is working right now.

Code:
    RK  Player             School               CRR     PPR
    1   Blake Bortles      Central Florida      1-2    1- 2
    2   Johnny Manziel     Texas A&M            1-2    1- 3
    3   Teddy Bridgewater  Lousville            1-2    1- 4
    4   Derek Carr         Fresno State         1-4    3- 7
    5   Jimmy Garoppolo    Eastern Illinois     2-3    4- 6
    6   A.J. McCarron      Alabama              2-4    5- 7
    7   Tom Savage         Pittsburgh           2-4    5- 8
    8   Zach Mettenberger  LSU                  2-4    5-11
    9   Aaron Murray       Georgia              3-5    9- 9
    10  Logan Thomas       Virginia Tech        4-7   10-11
    11  David Fales        San Jose State       5-7    8-13
    12  Connor Shaw        South Carolina       5-FA  12-17
    13  Keith Wenning      Ball State           5-FA  11-17
    14  Garrett Gilbert    SMU                  6-FA  12-17
    15  Tajh Boyd          Clemson              4-FA  14-16
    16  Stephen Morris     Miami (Fla)          6-FA  12-18
    17  Brett Smith        Wyoming              4-FA  12-20
    18  Jeff Mathews       Cornell              6-FA  14-20
    19  Bryn Renner        North Carolina       7-FA  18-21
    20  Dustin Vaughan     West Texas A&M       FA    17-22
    21  Brendon Kay        Cincinnati           FA    16-23
    22  Casey Pachall      TCU                  FA    19-22
    23  Brock Jensen       North Dakota State   FA    21-24
    24  Tyler Russell      Mississippi State    FA    20-24

CRR = Consensus Round Range
    PPR = Position Rank Range

I took the consensus of Bob McGinn's rankings, CBS Sports rankings, Todd McShay, NFL Draft Countdown, and USA Today. Those were the ones that I thought did a good job of 1) ranking deep into the positions, and 2) keeping their rankings up-to-date. I felt they were relatively decent rankings. Kiper didn't make the cut. Neither did NFL.com--whose rankings never were updated throughout the draft process.

My Final Rankings:

Code:
    Rk   Rd    Player             School
    1    1     Derek Carr         Fresno State
    2    1-2   Johnny Manziel     Texas A&M
    3    2     Teddy Bridgewater  Lousville
    4    2     Blake Bortles      Central Florida
    5    2-3   Jimmy Garoppolo    Eastern Illinois
    6    3     Tom Savage         Pittsburgh
    7    3-4   Zach Mettenberger  LSU
    8    4     Aaron Murray       Georgia
    9    4     A.J. McCarron      Alabama
    10   5     Logan Thomas       Virginia Tech
    11   6     Keith Wenning      Ball State
    12   7     Garrett Gilbert    SMU
    13   7     David Fales        San Jose State
    14   7-FA  Connor Shaw        South Carolina
    15   7-FA  Tajh Boyd          Clemson
    16   7-FA  Brock Jensen       North Dakota State
    17   PFA   Brett Smith        Wyoming
    18   PFA   Brendon Kay        Cincinnati
    19   PFA   Stephen Morris     Miami (Fla)
    20   PFA   Bryn Renner        North Carolina
    21   PFA   Casey Pachall      TCU
    22   FA    Dustin Vaughan     West Texas A&M
    23   FA    Jeff Mathews       Cornell
    24   FA    Tyler Russell      Mississippi State
    The Rank and Round is not where I predict they will go. It's where I'd take them. Yes, Jensen is a homer pick, but I like him.

Blog Entries
    LOVE THESE DUDE.....can you do a final for all positions ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Carr at the top of the heap! That's a pretty bold prediction. Where did you see anything that led you to predict that? I haven't seen anything from the sources you mention that puts him ahead of any of the three next guys on your list.

In other news, Jerry Jones seems to have done his annual draft board leak, and Manziel is in the top spot. If he drops (as some expect) will the Cowboys jump up to grab him?
    Last edited by Guiness; 05-08-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    --

PFT has a story saying the Browns commissioned a study to determine the best QB in the draft, and came up with Bridgewater.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-quarterbacks/

If the report is true, they've got a leak in their front office the size of a Mack truck! The purpose of that report was to give Cleveland a leg up in the draft, now that the results are common knowledge they may as well have burned the money in an office garbage can. Factory of sadness continues.
    --

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    PFT has a story saying the Browns commissioned a study to determine the best QB in the draft, and came up with Bridgewater.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-quarterbacks/

If the report is true, they've got a leak in their front office the size of a Mack truck! The purpose of that report was to give Cleveland a leg up in the draft, now that the results are common knowledge they may as well have burned the money in an office garbage can. Factory of sadness continues.
    They leaked the report on purpose to draw people away from Bortles and Carr, whom they like!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    They leaked the report on purpose to draw people away from Bortles and Carr, whom they like!
    I expect that will work out about as well as
    --