Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Since TT has never drafted a receiver in the 1st round, maybe this is the year, but somehow I just don't see it.
    I don't either. Benjamin and Matthews are probably going to be there in the 2nd round. Did I mention that Jordan Matthews is Jerry Rice's cousin?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I'm warming up to CJ Mosley after watching him play. It's a passing league and this guy brings special coverage skills to the table as well as being strong in the run game.

They say thisnis one of the deepest, most talented drafts ever, and I believe it. We're looking at some big-time players in our area of the draft. Im officially excited,to see what tt does in may.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'm warming up to CJ Mosley after watching him play. It's a passing league and this guy brings special coverage skills to the table as well as being strong in the run game.

They say thisnis one of the deepest, most talented drafts ever, and I believe it. We're looking at some big-time players in our area of the draft. Im officially excited,to see what tt does in may.
    if mosely falls to us and we're forced to draft him, then we're gonna be forced to greatly improve our D with a hell of a player imo

as for benjamin, i remember watching him at the combine, it did not look like football came naturally to him. he just did not look natural doing anything. no way i would spend a first on him

Quote Originally Posted by cheesner View Post
    A round or two? Kiper had him ranked in the 60's for CBs. My magazines - Lindy's and Street & Smith - one didn't list him and the other had him noted at the end as a possible FA pickup along with 20 other names.

To the best of my memory, at the time, most fans thought he woud go undrafted.
    The rankings that came out early barely had him listed, guys like Gosselin at the Dallas Morning News had him as a late riser going in the top 50. He and McGinn were the best. Too bad DMN took him of draft coverage.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

The history of 6'5"+ 230lbs+ who run 4.6 40s is not promising. There are a couple exceptions, but not many. Ideally, you want somebody who is 6'3" with freakish agility.

That being said, he's pretty impressive.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 04-24-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    The history of 6'5"+ 230lbs+ who run 4.6 40s is not promising. There are a couple exceptions, but not many. Ideally, you want somebody who is 6'3" with freakish agility.

That being said, he's pretty impressive.
    You are right about that but his body control is unreal for someone his size. Also I hear some scouts are thinking about moving him to TE down the road. All I know is you need to score TDs to win football games and this kid would be an absolute monster inside the 20 for us with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

I also like Jordan Matthews game a lot and I would prefer if we picked a defensive player in the 1st and Matthews in the 2nd if he happen to fall to us. Benjamin is not falling outside of the 1st round though, I honestly think the Seahawks will draft him and he'll end up being a stud for them.

I stopped the video at the 3 minute mark, at which point he had 1 catch for negative yards and two drops, and when the QB scrambled or looked the other way he basically stopped his routes and gave up, which will get him screamed at by Edgar Bennett and Rodgers. The routes plus his run blocking (no surprise, it's college) can and will get fixed with coaching, but I didn't see anything to make me start a campaign for him to be the R1 pick. If that was his worst game of the season I guess that explains it. I actually was more impressed with FSU's QB and the RB. To be clear: I don't think Benjamin is terrible, I just wouldn't take him R1 with the other players likely still on the board. If TT thinks otherwise and takes him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I'm no scout, and cheer for him since he'd be a Packer.

I think you can get a 6'5" TE to be your red zone monster if needed. There's likely to be one available in R2.

FWIW I'm in the group that would prefer Matthews over Benjamin. 6'3" is still pretty tall, plus his 40 and college career production are better than Benjamin's. I think TT likes WR's with a history of production and Matthews fits that mold more than Benjamin. Agree I'd rather not have another WR under 5'11" on the roster unless they are special.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Since TT has never drafted a receiver in the 1st round, maybe this is the year, but somehow I just don't see it.
    Agreed. He seems to set a bar for WRs and waits until one or two of them fall below the bar and swoops in.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I don't either. Benjamin and Matthews are probably going to be there in the 2nd round. Did I mention that Jordan Matthews is Jerry Rice's cousin?
    Did I mention that this is Clay Matthew's second cousin?

He played FS in high school
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

So I've been reading and forming opinions (I think it was KYPack who said that 95% of his "who to draft opinions" are formed based on comments from this board--I'm the same), and I still don't have anyone I'd love in the first round. I think I'd be okay with either of the two safeties in the first (but not sold on either), but it isn't like previous years where there was someone jumping off the board at me (although, to be fair, I was ambivalous the year Nick Perry was drafted too). It seems like there are too many split opinions on everyone.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

It's Goodell's fault for moving the draft back a couple more weeks. Gives us all extra time to love/hate players, many of whom will wash out of the league in 3-4 years.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    It would not surprise me if TT drafted a WR and a TE in first two rounds! Benjamin at WR and Austin Seferian-Jenkins at TE would create a serious red zone nightmare. TT's got the rest of the draft to go defense. I like Brock Vereen at S, Keith McGill and Stanley Jean-Baptiste at CB/S, Telvin Smith at ILB/S and McCullers at DT. And why not Bryan Stork at C with the 7th round pick?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I stopped the video at the 3 minute mark, at which point he had 1 catch for negative yards and two drops, and when the QB scrambled or looked the other way he basically stopped his routes and gave up, which will get him screamed at by Edgar Bennett and Rodgers.
    So you didn't see any of his 3 TDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    It would not surprise me if TT drafted a WR and a TE in first two rounds! Benjamin at WR and Austin Seferian-Jenkins at TE would create a serious red zone nightmare. TT's got the rest of the draft to go defense. I like Brock Vereen at S, Keith McGill and Stanley Jean-Baptiste at CB/S, Telvin Smith at ILB/S and McCullers at DT. And why not Bryan Stork at C with the 7th round pick?
    That is a nice list of prospects there, I would be happy if we drafted any one of those guys.

Yes to McCullers. Lukewarm on the others unless we got Vereen in the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    So I've been reading and forming opinions (I think it was KYPack who said that 95% of his "who to draft opinions" are formed based on comments from this board--I'm the same), and I still don't have anyone I'd love in the first round. I think I'd be okay with either of the two safeties in the first (but not sold on either), but it isn't like previous years where there was someone jumping off the board at me (although, to be fair, I was ambivalous the year Nick Perry was drafted too). It seems like there are too many split opinions on everyone.
    i've found that the best way to do it is to get 5, 6 or 7 guys that you like and wouldn't mind TT taking in the first, and try not to rank them. you're chances are better that TT will take a guy you "like", and you'll be less disappointed in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    benjamin is really just a TE that they call a WR, like jimmy graham. and in that case, ASJ is a better TE

the one thing benjamin has going for him is that he has freakish size for a WR and that makes him stand out. he's not a standout due to talent or production, just freakish size. his size, talent and production would put him as a pretty average TE imo. and in todays NFL where the line is blurred between WR and TE, is benjamin really all that impressive?

i say, fuck no

AS for benjamin being a redzone nightmare, i would say its no different that lining up another TE in the RZ

Goodell considering making draft a 4 day event. https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/s...93373839138818 I suppose eventually it'll be Draft Week.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Goodell considering making draft a 4 day event. https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/s...93373839138818 I suppose eventually it'll be Draft Week.
    someone needs to hurry up and shoot that asshole

i should be getting ready to watch round 2 right now, NOT sitting here talking about prospects for the next 2 weeks with you jack-offs

no offense

Blog Entries
    I'm passing on Benjamin after listening to NFL Network today; questionable work ethic. I'll take Matthews in a second. I don't think Matthews falls to round two.

I'd LOVE Nate Robinson or Jordan Matthews in round two...doubt either gets there so I'm happy to stock defense
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

He does that and I will personally take a PackerRats contingent to the Hall of Fame vote when his name inevitably comes up. We will pelt the voters with eggs anytime his name is uttered.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.