Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Ward would be a target to trade back for, common for Ted.

Uncommon for Ted, the fact that we actually identify his target.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Brandin Cooks, WR, would be a fun pick too. 4.33 40 yard dash, 1,700 yards in the PAC 12 in one season!!! His tape looks good. It would be fun to see a guy like that in Green Bay.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    On the topic of safeties, what are some thoughts about Terrence Brooks. Seems everyone is high on the top three, Dix, Pryor and Ward. I think Dix is a pipe dream if TT stands pat at 21, Pryor, although a good player, doesn't fit what we need and Ward, I just don't know much about. We need that fast safety that can cover alot of ground.

Looks like Brooks is slated to go somewhere in the 2-3 round area. Just going off what I've read, he seems like he'd be a good fit for what the Packers need. He maybe a little unpolished, but so was Nick Collins.
    like bretsky said a bit ago, there could be a big run on safeties after what we saw in free agency. teams know that safety play is important

that said, i expect brooks to be gone by our second round pick. probably high to mid second round pick from what i've been seeing

after brooks who i put at the #4 safety, you have bucannon, who might be there at our second pick

then you have ed reynolds who is probably a third rounder. then the bottom completely falls out of the safety pool and IMHO there isn't much worth looking at

so theres 5 maybe 6 guys in the whole draft that are worth drafting IMO, all will probably be gone by our 3rd round pick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Ward would be a target to trade back for, common for Ted.

Uncommon for Ted, the fact that we actually identify his target.
    I'd be all for that. Then go CB, WR and TE with the next picks... Teddy's about building depth and developing talent through the draft (Captain Obvious).

I don't know much about the ceiling for a guy like James Nixon at CB and haven't boned up on this year's draft prospects but a physical perimeter defender that can play the ball and run with guys like CJ and the beasts outside for the Bears would be huge, especially considering Tramon Williams is undersized, aging, an injury risk, overpaid, and possibly on his last run with team both physically and contractually. I think we've seen enough of House to be concerned about his ability to hold up outside as a full-time player.

The contract situation with Nelson and Cobb are also a cause for concern depth-wise and my bet is there's a tight end that can be picked up in the third round and inserted right into the top of the rotation at that position.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Brandin Cooks, WR, would be a fun pick too. 4.33 40 yard dash, 1,700 yards in the PAC 12 in one season!!! His tape looks good. It would be fun to see a guy like that in Green Bay.
    Boom. a younger, cheaper, Desean Jackson without the baggage. What's his projected draft slot? Would he last deep into the 2nd?

I think he's right around our area of the first round. He plays similar to Tavon Austin and Desean Jackson, but he's 190lbs, not 170. He put up outrageous production numbers and spectacular athletic numbers. He has some special qualities that make him talked about in the mid-late first round.

Some options in our are I like:

Darqueze Dennard, CB
    Ryan Shazier, LB
    Louis Nix III, NG
    Calvin Pryor, SS/FS
    Brandin Cooks, WR

These are the guys I like that could last till pick 21.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    http://www.draftace.com/player-ranki...13-rankings-2/

elam- 87
    cyprien- 86
    Shamarko Thomas- 84
    D.J. Swearinger- 87
    Kenny Vaccaro- 84
    Eric Reid- 84

so he has both clinton dix and pryor ranked higher then all the safeties last year and he has jimmy ward rated just as highly as anyone last year

the link for the 2012 ratings are broken or something, but the 2011 ratings work and he only had one guy with a rating above 80

2011:
    Rk Player School Rating
    1. Rahim Moore UCLA 87
    2. Quinton Carter Oklahoma 78
    3. DeAndre McDaniel Clemson 76
    4. Tyler Sash Iowa 75
    5. Deunta Williams North Carolina 72
    6. Jaiquawn Jarrett Temple 69
    7. Robert Sands West Virginia 68
    8. Joe Lefeged Rutgers 67
    9. Eugene Clifford Tennessee State 64
    10. Chris Conte California 63

2012:
    1. Mark Barron Alabama 93 –
    2. Harrison Smith Notre Dame 85 –
    3. Antonio Allen South Carolina 66 –
    4. Trenton Robinson Michigan State 65 –
    5. George Iloka Boise State 65 –
    6. Brandon Taylor LSU 63 –
    7. Janzen Jackson McNeese State 62 –
    8. Christian Thompson South Carolina St 61 –
    9. Markelle Martin Oklahoma State 60 –
    10. Aaron Henry Wisconsin 57 –

Yuck. Yeah, maybe this class is better than the last few for safeties

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I enjoy the articles about sleeper prospects. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...2014-nfl-draft
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    I just watched a full game of Ryan Shazier (2013, Indiana.) Whoa, so friggin fast and explosive!!!

He's interesting.

The more you watch him the more you'll like him....and I detest Ohio State.

If we are going to jump up to the elite NFC tier..we need to contain guys like Vernon Davis and Kaperprick. He gives us speed and tenacity. He can blitz; he can cover; he can tackle. He's everything Nick Perry isn't...a perfect fit for our defense who probably ends up inside but who could be used as a OLB as well. He's a guy who has a shot against the Vernon Davis and Jimmy Grahams' of the world without having to redo your defensive plan to have a shot.

If the Eagles don't take him I think he's likely to fall into our laps at 21 and I'm on board with him as our pick.

I also like your list...except Nix. Of your list I don't think the MSU Cornerback makes it to us. I'm doubting Prior does either
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    I think he's right around our area of the first round. He plays similar to Tavon Austin and Desean Jackson, but he's 190lbs, not 170. He put up outrageous production numbers and spectacular athletic numbers. He has some special qualities that make him talked about in the mid-late first round.
    Gotcha. It'd be exciting to add a guy like that to Rodgers' arsenal. Checked out his highlights and he looks like a crisp route runner for a deep threat, not the least bit afraid of contact and goes aggressive after the ball for a smallish receiver. Faster and probably more physical than Greg Jennings but kind of reminiscent of him too to me.

Blog Entries
    Can't say anything about Nix's ability but if he's not a potential stud I'd prefer to bring back Jolly or Pickett for this year and see how guys like Boyd, Worthy and Guion work in situational roles backing up along the D-Line then see if there's anything to worry about next offseason - especially if a big guy's being flagged for questionable work-ethic. Maybe it's undeserved but those guys can go downhill quickly if they even show up at all.

I haven't heard Shazier mentioned as a ILB except in here. If he can play there, I'm all for getting him - filling our second biggest need with an excellent athletic player. I'm still not convinced Clinton-Dix will be gone by #21, but that seems to be the consensus. From what I've heard, Brooks, as well as Ward, seem to be decent alternatives if Dix is gone. We don't need a big hitter nearly so much as we need a ball hawk and coverage guy. Farther down, I like Loston and maybe Ahmad Dixon - we definitely need two solutions to the Safety position. The one guy talked about in the first round I absolutely do NOT want is Nix - the whole position/body type I want no part of early in the draft. I also oppose getting a WR or TE early, but mainly because of the needs at Safety and ILB. Some of those WRs and TEs are tempting as potential targets for Rodgers, but basically, we can stand pat and be just fine with receivers.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I haven't heard Shazier mentioned as a ILB except in here. If he can play there, I'm all for getting him - filling our second biggest need with an excellent athletic player. I'm still not convinced Clinton-Dix will be gone by #21, but that seems to be the consensus. From what I've heard, Brooks, as well as Ward, seem to be decent alternatives if Dix is gone. We don't need a big hitter nearly so much as we need a ball hawk and coverage guy. Farther down, I like Loston and maybe Ahmad Dixon - we definitely need two solutions to the Safety position. The one guy talked about in the first round I absolutely do NOT want is Nix - the whole position/body type I want no part of early in the draft. I also oppose getting a WR or TE early, but mainly because of the needs at Safety and ILB. Some of those WRs and TEs are tempting as potential targets for Rodgers, but basically, we can stand pat and be just fine with receivers.
    I don't discount anyone at this point. Whatever their draft board says is ultimate value at 21 is what they should take. Someohe brought up drafting someone like Manziel if he slipped to 21. I would think part of value would be probability of making an impact, and obviously Aaron being the QB would affect Maziel's value to the Packers. What if Mike Evans drops to 21, or Ebron? I think if it's too good to pass up, you either decide to 1) take the player that falls in your lap (ala Aaron Rodgers in 2005) 2) trade back (a little) and hopefully still get one of the guys being targeted, while picking up a pick to boot, or 3) you stand pat and draft the BAP at 21, whoever that might be. If it's Nix, so be it. If the Packers think he's Vince Wilfork, who here would complain? We can get a safety later if a more special or rare talent can be had at 21. If that happens to be a safety, let's get him. Drafting purely for need is risky.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 04-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Shazier would play on the outside on 4-3 teams, but the inside in Green Bay. That said, he's athletically gifted, and I'm sure we'd try to move him around as a bandit type player to create opportunities for him.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Shazier would play on the outside on 4-3 teams, but the inside in Green Bay. That said, he's athletically gifted, and I'm sure we'd try to move him around as a bandit type player to create opportunities for him.
    Shazier is fast and fluid. He might be the most physicslly gifted player in this draft under 240 lbs. He has the skillset to play any position from 3-4 olb to SS. Similar athlete to Patrick Willis. The 49ers can play a lot of base defense because Willis is like another DB. I think this guy couldmbring that kind of flexibility.

CBS NFL Draft Scout has five current mocks up (4 of 5 done in last week).

All have the Rams taking a safety. Kirwan has the Vikings grabbing Dix. One guy has the Bears grabbing the other top safety (Prior in that case). One has Ravens picking the second safety (Dix). One has Cardinals picking him (Pryor). Will Brinson has the most out of date one (4/10) and he has the Paclers taking Ward at 21 and Prior falling out of Round 1.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Going to be watching where Roosevelt Nix ends up and how he does. He will be switching from DT to ILB, having played DT at 5'11" 248lb.

from NFL.COM
    Roosevelt Nix, DL (5-foot-11 1/4, 248) — Nix ran the 40 in 4.79 seconds on both attempts. He had a 28-inch vertical and 9-foot-2 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.39 seconds and the three-cone drill in a remarkable time of 6.90 seconds. He performed 22 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Nix is a really good football player — he is the first player in Kent State history and fifth player in MAC history to earn first-team all-conference honors in four seasons — and a team will have to find a position for him. Some people think Nix might be a fullback, others think he might be a linebacker. At 248 pounds, he won’t be a defensive lineman in the NFL, but he has tremendous ability and a team will have to find a position for him to play. He is likely a priority free-agent pickup following the draft.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    CBS NFL Draft Scout has five current mocks up (4 of 5 done in last week).

All have the Rams taking a safety. Kirwan has the Vikings grabbing Dix. One guy has the Bears grabbing the other top safety (Prior in that case). One has Ravens picking the second safety (Dix). One has Cardinals picking him (Pryor). Will Brinson has the most out of date one (4/10) and he has the Paclers taking Ward at 21 and Prior falling out of Round 1.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
    4 out of 5 of those drafts have Mosley available when the Pack is on the board...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I'd love to see some speed on this team, whether at ILB or safety or wide receiver or tight end.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack