Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

why? because his big board doesn't match all the others who are getting their info from the same sources?

i believe he just did his rantings for his big board in the last week, so its up to date based on his opinions

Jensen would be a local story. He grew up and played in Waupaca, less than 50 miles from GB. He was a very good state champion HS qb before going to NDSU.

He played in a local conference vs. my kid's HS. Awesome talent compared to most of the local players. Didn't see him play in college, but he did take NDSU to 3 straight FCS titles, so that's saying a lot.

Decent size, 6-3, 225. Never know, if TT picks him and likes what he sees, he could edge out Tolzien as the 3rd string/developmental QB.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    why? because his big board doesn't match all the others who are getting their info from the same sources?

i believe he just did his rantings for his big board in the last week, so its up to date based on his opinions
    I'd be curious to see what his rankings of safeties from previous years look like -- it would be a decent gauge of whether he's accurate or not.
    I thought last year was supposed to be a bad year for safety, and IIRC the year before wasn't touted as that great either. My sense is that it's a little better than last year, probably about how it was 2 years ago.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what a good draft for safety does look like. Usually there are 2-3 that get taken in the top 50 picks, and that will be the case again this year IMO.

Pretty sure Tahj Boyd was the guy who a GB scout was quoted as calling more or less undraftable, but I think that was based on Senior Bowl practices and game where he struggled (7-16 31 yds 1 Int) and the fact that he's under 6'1". Had good WRs at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins) who could beat most secondaries. I think Boyd is rated about a R5 or R6 pick and if you're looking for a backup with mobility and good character he's your guy. I don't think he's accurate enough to come in the middle of the 3Q of a game and rally a team to win in the pros. I'd rather spend a R5/6 pick on another player.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'd be curious to see what his rankings of safeties from previous years look like -- it would be a decent gauge of whether he's accurate or not.
    I thought last year was supposed to be a bad year for safety, and IIRC the year before wasn't touted as that great either. My sense is that it's a little better than last year, probably about how it was 2 years ago.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what a good draft for safety does look like. Usually there are 2-3 that get taken in the top 50 picks, and that will be the case again this year IMO.

Pretty sure Tahj Boyd was the guy who a GB scout was quoted as calling more or less undraftable, but I think that was based on Senior Bowl practices and game where he struggled (7-16 31 yds 1 Int) and the fact that he's under 6'1". Had good WRs at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins) who could beat most secondaries. I think Boyd is rated about a R5 or R6 pick and if you're looking for a backup with mobility and good character he's your guy. I don't think he's accurate enough to come in the middle of the 3Q of a game and rally a team to win in the pros. I'd rather spend a R5/6 pick on another player.
    http://www.draftace.com/player-ranki...13-rankings-2/

elam- 87
    cyprien- 86
    Shamarko Thomas- 84
    D.J. Swearinger- 87
    Kenny Vaccaro- 84
    Eric Reid- 84

so he has both clinton dix and pryor ranked higher then all the safeties last year and he has jimmy ward rated just as highly as anyone last year

the link for the 2012 ratings are broken or something, but the 2011 ratings work and he only had one guy with a rating above 80

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Mainly because he has Jared Abbrederis as the 6th best WR in the draft. If Jared Abbrederis is the 6th best WR in this draft, then the talent in this year's WR class has been vastly overrated.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Jensen would be a local story. He grew up and played in Waupaca, less than 50 miles from GB. He was a very good state champion HS qb before going to NDSU.

He played in a local conference vs. my kid's HS. Awesome talent compared to most of the local players. Didn't see him play in college, but he did take NDSU to 3 straight FCS titles, so that's saying a lot.

Decent size, 6-3, 225. Never know, if TT picks him and likes what he sees, he could edge out Tolzien as the 3rd string/developmental QB.
    Jensen is a pretty good athlete too. His measurables (4.70 40, 7.06 3 cone, 4.35 shuttle, 34" vertical) are almost identical Derek Carr. He ran for 35 TDs in his career.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

The player I want most, in our area of the draft, is Louis Nix III. The reason I like nix has a few parts.

1. He's an exceptional football player. Similar body type to BJ Raji, but a much more active, natural fighter on the inside. He's always fighting, always winning his battles. With the loss of Pickett and the disappointment of Raji, this guy looks like a 10 year fixture at NG. He's stout, active and impactful.

2. It's incredibly rare to find guys his size that can really move. There aren't very many high end NGs in the NFL. I think he's one of them.

3. He seems like an awesome guy and a hard worker. Good teammate, good guy.

At the end of the day, I think the first round of the draft, you want an impact player who plays for a long time. Of all the guys I see in our area of the draft, Nix is the one I feel is the best. Of course, I have very little knowledge or information about these guys compared to TT, so I'll be excited about whoever we pick.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    The player I want most, in our area of the draft, is Louis Nix III. The reason I like nix has a few parts.

1. He's an exceptional football player. Similar body type to BJ Raji, but a much more active, natural fighter on the inside. He's always fighting, always winning his battles. With the loss of Pickett and the disappointment of Raji, this guy looks like a 10 year fixture at NG. He's stout, active and impactful.

2. It's incredibly rare to find guys his size that can really move. There aren't very many high end NGs in the NFL. I think he's one of them.

At the end of the day, I think the first round of the draft, you want an impact player who plays for a long time. Of all the guys I see in our area of the draft, Nix is the one I feel is the best. Of course, I have very little knowledge or information about these guys compared to TT, so I'll be excited about whoever we pick.
    Why would he be available at 21 if he is that good? What is missing from his resume? Or what is scaring Bretsky about the guy?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Why would he be available at 21 if he is that good? What is missing from his resume? Or what is scaring Bretsky about the guy?
    Most drafts I see have him going in our range. Raji had knock your socks off explosion numbers and some highlight reels where he just pushed guys straight back. This guy doesn't have those wow factors that will get him over drafted, but he does look like more of a baller on the game tapes. Injury is a factor, of course. He could drop. He reminds me of Pickett when he was at the top of his game. I'd be happy with a 22 year old Ryan Pickett with the 21st pick. I don't think he's a super star, just a rare big guy, really consistent and a good player. Kind of like when we picked Bulaga.

DRAFT DISH: SEARCHING FOR TRUTH

by Russ Lande

1. Truly believes Savage is rising because coaches have become involved and love his physical makeup and skills. Scouts pegged him 3rd to 5th round because of accuracy problems. If true, could be entirely dependent on how good his OC and QB coach are. Accuracy is hard to fix.

2. Nix and Tuitt are both considered in the same camp as Clowney in terms of questionable work ethic. Nix had the better season despite the concern and isn't expected to fall out of the 1st, but Tuitt could be in for a fall. Neither plays as well as they profile.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Most drafts I see have him going in our range. Raji had knock your socks off explosion numbers and some highlight reels where he just pushed guys straight back. This guy doesn't have those wow factors that will get him over drafted, but he does look like more of a baller on the game tapes. Injury is a factor, of course. He could drop. He reminds me of Pickett when he was at the top of his game. I'd be happy with a 22 year old Ryan Pickett with the 21st pick. I don't think he's a super star, just a rare big guy, really consistent and a good player. Kind of like when we picked Bulaga.
    idon't see anything special when i watch nix game tape. he does his job, he takes on double teams and doesn't give up ground, but thats about all he does. he makes no plays, he gets little penetration, he doesn't move piles, he doesn't get off blocks. he just stands there in the middle of the LOS, taking on his 2 guys

he's just there. nothing at all jumps out at me and makes me think "wow, he's special". like when you watch the game tape of jimmy ward, you go "WOW, he's everywhere, he is the team". you don't get that with nix

don't know if thats what you want out of a first rounder

Red, it's completely different positions. Nix's job is to take on double teams and hold his ground. I also like Jimmie Ward. I don't like haha. He's slow and doesn't flash. I do like Pryor, but Ward looks like more of a pure FS and I think I'd rather see us with a legit center fielder.

I'm with Harrell on the safeties. I'd rather have Ward than the other two. HaHa doesn't have the athletic ability that I want in a first round safety. Pryor reminds me of Brandon Merriweather. I see Ryan Pickett in Nix also. It wouldn't be a terrible pick late in the first round (Pickett went late 1st round also). #21 might be a tad high for Nix.

Blog Entries

I don't want Nix at 21. I'd take either safety, the TE, and Shazier over him. IF T traded down to the 30 area I'd be ok with it guess but not too excited.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Red, it's completely different positions. Nix's job is to take on double teams and hold his ground. I also like Jimmie Ward. I don't like haha. He's slow and doesn't flash. I do like Pryor, but Ward looks like more of a pure FS and I think I'd rather see us with a legit center fielder.
    the more i watch of ward, the more i think of a more physical woodson

his smaller size (only 192) and the fact that he might have some maturity issues concern me a bit, but based on pure talent, i agree he might be the best of the safeties

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'm with Harrell on the safeties. I'd rather have Ward than the other two. HaHa doesn't have the athletic ability that I want in a first round safety. Pryor reminds me of Brandon Merriweather. I see Ryan Pickett in Nix also. It wouldn't be a terrible pick late in the first round (Pickett went late 1st round also). #21 might be a tad high for Nix.

Highly doubtful Ward lasts til our round 2 pick. Do you want him in 1 ? That might be too high but by the time our round 2 pick gets there a lot of the safeties are going to be gone

I'd take either safety over Ward w/o thinking about it though. Haha will be long gone by 15 IMO and I have a bad feeling Prior is headed to the Bears. I think it's unlikely he's there at 21. I'd be fine with Ward at 21 as well. I'd take him over Nix
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

i think i would be fine with ward at 21

trading back 5 spots or so and grabbing ward would be nice, but trading down will be tough, and i'm starting to see more mocks with ward flying up boards into the mid to late 20's

Blog Entries
    Lately the mocks fwiw have Ward rising and Nix falling.

Think about Free Agency.....SO many teams need a safety. they are going to get picked sooner than we think IMO

I'd like to see a safety in round one or two and then I'd like to see Ed Reynolds picked up later in the draft as well. Bringing in some competition sends the msg that the level of play last year was unacceptable

I just watched a full game of Ryan Shazier (2013, Indiana.) Whoa, so friggin fast and explosive!!!

He's interesting.

On the topic of safeties, what are some thoughts about Terrence Brooks. Seems everyone is high on the top three, Dix, Pryor and Ward. I think Dix is a pipe dream if TT stands pat at 21, Pryor, although a good player, doesn't fit what we need and Ward, I just don't know much about. We need that fast safety that can cover alot of ground.

Looks like Brooks is slated to go somewhere in the 2-3 round area. Just going off what I've read, he seems like he'd be a good fit for what the Packers need. He maybe a little unpolished, but so was Nick Collins.