Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I haven't heard Shazier mentioned as a ILB except in here. If he can play there, I'm all for getting him - filling our second biggest need with an excellent athletic player. I'm still not convinced Clinton-Dix will be gone by #21, but that seems to be the consensus. From what I've heard, Brooks, as well as Ward, seem to be decent alternatives if Dix is gone. We don't need a big hitter nearly so much as we need a ball hawk and coverage guy. Farther down, I like Loston and maybe Ahmad Dixon - we definitely need two solutions to the Safety position. The one guy talked about in the first round I absolutely do NOT want is Nix - the whole position/body type I want no part of early in the draft. I also oppose getting a WR or TE early, but mainly because of the needs at Safety and ILB. Some of those WRs and TEs are tempting as potential targets for Rodgers, but basically, we can stand pat and be just fine with receivers.
    I don't discount anyone at this point. Whatever their draft board says is ultimate value at 21 is what they should take. Someohe brought up drafting someone like Manziel if he slipped to 21. I would think part of value would be probability of making an impact, and obviously Aaron being the QB would affect Maziel's value to the Packers. What if Mike Evans drops to 21, or Ebron? I think if it's too good to pass up, you either decide to 1) take the player that falls in your lap (ala Aaron Rodgers in 2005) 2) trade back (a little) and hopefully still get one of the guys being targeted, while picking up a pick to boot, or 3) you stand pat and draft the BAP at 21, whoever that might be. If it's Nix, so be it. If the Packers think he's Vince Wilfork, who here would complain? We can get a safety later if a more special or rare talent can be had at 21. If that happens to be a safety, let's get him. Drafting purely for need is risky.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 04-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan