Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

official 2014 nfl draft thread

so, who's everybody looking at in the college ranks

i'd like a TE.but i don't want to waste a 1st rounder on one. i had a chance to watch arthur lynch this last weekend, and he sucked. made some stupid mistakes and had some nice drops, pass

what other positions would we be looking at?

maybe saftey? how bout we go the matt millen route and draft our 3rd LT in the first round. some year we'll hit on one damnit

maybe d-line, theres a chance we could lose both raji and pickett this offseason

do we go ahead and draft out next starting QB in the first round and put a-rod on the clock, i mean lets face it, he's almost 30

james jones could be gone after the season, do we need to find another wr?

speak people. chances are with the a-rod injury, we'll probably be picking in the 20-25 range

Just preparing for a long offseason already?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Just preparing for a long offseason already?
    preparing for a possible long end to the regular season

Backup QB

Johnny Jolly, Ryan Pickett, B.J. Raji, C.J. Wilson, Sam Shields, Jermichael Finley, Andrew Quarless and James Jones among others will all be UFA's this year. What happens in free agency prior to the draft could influence the draft. Also, Tramon Williams is due 9.5 million next year, so he may be released.

In my opinion, the 2 weak points right now are TE and FS. However, these are 2 positions where TT has never spent a 1st round pick. Not saying he wouldn't if the right player were there, but the odds are against it. If he loses 2 out of Jolly/Pickett/Raji, he may have to go DL early.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Major areas of need: WR, TE, DL (assuming Raji isn't re-signed), S.

Jolly and Finley will likely scare some suitors away and could be re-signed.
    Raji has played better this year and GB will make a god faith effort to keep him but I think he signs elsewhere.
    Wilson is a decent player but with Worthy and Boyd on the roster for cheap he's probably gone...especially if they keep Jolly.
    Pickett is good but he's old. If they watch his snaps he can play, but they'll need to find his replacement.
    Quarless is coming off that ugly knee injury and won't get a lot of interest unless it's a bad draft/FA class for TE's.

James Jones will get interest, so will Sam Shields. Boykin has played well, but if Jones leaves they have to hope Harper turns out, Myles White gets stronger, or they draft someone. IMO they'll draft a WR regardless...Cobb will be up for an extension after next season.

I think the fates of Shields and Tramon are tied together (if Shields signs, Tramon gets a roster or pay cut).

Don't recall if this is a contract year for Bulaga; his injuries will affect his market value.

Ted will take BPA, but agree they have needs at DL, S, TE, WR, backup QB, and possibly interior OL.

BPA.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Jolly and Finley will likely scare some suitors away and could be re-signed.
    Raji has played better this year and GB will make a god faith effort to keep him but I think he signs elsewhere.
    Wilson is a decent player but with Worthy and Boyd on the roster for cheap he's probably gone...especially if they keep Jolly.
    Pickett is good but he's old. If they watch his snaps he can play, but they'll need to find his replacement.
    Quarless is coming off that ugly knee injury and won't get a lot of interest unless it's a bad draft/FA class for TE's.

James Jones will get interest, so will Sam Shields. Boykin has played well, but if Jones leaves they have to hope Harper turns out, Myles White gets stronger, or they draft someone. IMO they'll draft a WR regardless...Cobb will be up for an extension after next season.

I think the fates of Shields and Tramon are tied together (if Shields signs, Tramon gets a roster or pay cut).

Don't recall if this is a contract year for Bulaga; his injuries will affect his market value.

Ted will take BPA, but agree they have needs at DL, S, TE, WR, backup QB, and possibly interior OL.
    FYI

bulaga is signed through next season. he's still on his rookie deal but is due to make about 3.75 million next season

he'll be a free agent after the 2014 season, like cobb

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Is there ever anything good at the 32nd pick?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    so, who's everybody looking at in the college ranks

i'd like a TE.but i don't want to waste a 1st rounder on one. i had a chance to watch arthur lynch this last weekend, and he sucked. made some stupid mistakes and had some nice drops, pass

what other positions would we be looking at?

maybe saftey? how bout we go the matt millen route and draft our 3rd LT in the first round. some year we'll hit on one damnit

maybe d-line, theres a chance we could lose both raji and pickett this offseason

do we go ahead and draft out next starting QB in the first round and put a-rod on the clock, i mean lets face it, he's almost 30

james jones could be gone after the season, do we need to find another wr?

speak people. chances are with the a-rod injury, we'll probably be picking in the 20-25 range
    A lot of questions Red. I`m looking at it from the standpoint of who do we retain in light of FA.

Finally ... we actually look sounder at RB.

James Jones or not still raises need at WR.

We need to bolster our OL roster spots.

With the current status of JerMichael Finley we need help at TE.

We need a legitimate backup QB.

Emphasis on DL help depends on the quality of talent we retain.

We need to see our secondary produce some turnovers and as it always seems tackle better. TT will certainly be looking to draft there.

PACKERS !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Sherrod!
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Sherrod!
    and maybe someday down the road we'll be able to say if he's good or not

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Not the last time
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Safety or WR or D-Line.

We need another Nick Collins. Someone to take the ball away from the offense on the back end.
    We'll need a WR of the future so in three years when Nelson's and Jones' wheels fall off, he can team up with Cobb to keep passing dominance.
    And I don't care if everyone on the D-Line is coming back. I want to see that line constantly harassing the QB. If they aren't making it hell to play QB against the Packers, then they aren't dominant enough.

This whole thing about only 7 INTs all year is getting to me.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

A stud center would be nice. EDS does not seem to be developing into one. Best player out of NT, C, S, TE, WR will do. That probably means a RB or LB will be chosen (QB won't because no QB worth drafting early will be left). The Packers have a lot of needs this year so TT really needs to nail it to keep the Packers window open.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

This is merely for your consumption and not from the Draft Needs Bible.

2014 NFL Draft Needs and Potential Fits for Every NFL Team

By: Matt Miller (NFL Draft Lead Writer) on November 6, 2013

Green Bay Packers:

" The Green Bay Packers are a real threat to miss the playoffs this season. For that, we can thank injuries to Aaron Rodgers, Jermichael Finley and various offensive linemen and defenders throughout the season.

The Packers haven't been healthy, and it's shown up on the field.

That's bad news for 2013, but a worse record means a higher draft pick. And that's something Ted Thompson could use to shore up holes on the roster. "

Quarterback

Current players: Aaron Rodgers, Seneca Wallace (free agent), Scott Tolzien

Best fit: Aaron Murray, Georgia (Round 3); David Fales, San Jose State (Round 3); Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois (Round 6)

Tight End

Current players: Jermichael Finley (IR, free agent), Andrew Quarless (free agent), Ryan Taylor, Brandon Bostick, Jake Stoneburner

Best fit: Jace Amaro, Texas Tech (Round 1); Eric Ebron, UNC (Round 1); Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington (Round 2)

Nose Tackle

Current players: Ryan Pickett (free agent), Josh Boyd

Best fit: Louis Nix, Notre Dame (Round 1); Danny Shelton, Washington (Round 4); Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State (Round 5)

Defensive End

Current players: B.J. Raji (free agent), Johnny Jolly (free agent), Mike Daniels, Mike Neal (free agent), C.J. Wilson (free agent), Datone Jones

Best fit: Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame (Round 1); Dominique Easley, Florida (Round 3); Deandre Coleman, Cal (Round 5)

Inside Linebacker

Current players: A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Jamari Lattimore

Best fit: Chris Borland, Wisconsin (Round 2); Shayne Skov, Stanford (Round 2); Max Bullough, Michigan State (Round 4)

PACKERS !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

i think we should draft a backup QB in the first round

its obvious that QB is the only important position on this team, he's the only one that can win you games
    Last edited by red; 11-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft

Ask 5: Which position will be deepest in 2014 NFL Draft?

By Daniel Jeremiah ... NFL Media analyst

Published: Oct. 30, 2013 at 02:50 p.m.

Updated: Nov. 1, 2013 at 03:41 p.m.

Conclusion:

There wasn't a consensus among these executives and I was a bit surprised that quarterback didn't receive any votes. I think they will be hesitant to go with that position until they find out which underclassmen actually declare for the draft.

It is shaping up to be a great draft for teams in need of offensive linemen and cornerbacks. Also, there figures to be plenty of wide receiver depth, as well. Last year's class lacked star power, but there was a very deep pool of NFL starter-caliber players.

This year's class should match that depth while also providing some big-name talents at the top of the first round.

Comment woodbuck27:

The OL and CB positions are areas where the Green Bay Packers have certain need. It would be prudent of TT to pick up a taller and athletic WR.

Here's one of the top OL prospects or a small Bio on CM III's cousin OT Jake Matthews of Texas A&M:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Matthews

Please click on the LINK for the entire story.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 11-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Biggest needs to me are safety and I would really like to find a tall, strong, ILB that can cover TE's over the middle.
    Thanks Ted!