Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Data mining idea: go back through each year of PackerRats and find first 2000x (where x is the current season +1) Draft Thread and record the date it starts. See if it correlates with the Packers final regular season record.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 10h
    New on SI: 2014 NFL draft position rankings: Calvin Pryor, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix lead deep safety class http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/16/2014-nf...-calvin-pryor/

http://t.co/KZLbCDXqdq

And for Harv, Farrar thinks Vereen could be a decent 3rd round pick, but likes him as slot CB more than just safety.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 17h
    Would I take Brock Vereen in the third round and make him a stellar slot cornerback? You damn right I would.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Would I take Brock Vereen in the third round and make him a stellar slot cornerback? You damn right I would.
    Love the unswerving confidence of an armchair GM!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I like Brock Vereen, his game reminds me a lot of Hyde even though they play different positions. I also like how they say he is too small but his 25 bench reps were among the best of all the DBs in the draft while Jimmie Ward could only do 9 reps.

Smaller players have it easier in the bench department, but are nonetheless inferior (in most cases) when it comes to actual practical strength.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 10h
    New on SI: 2014 NFL draft position rankings: Calvin Pryor, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix lead deep safety class http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/16/2014-nf...-calvin-pryor/

http://t.co/KZLbCDXqdq

And for Harv, Farrar thinks Vereen could be a decent 3rd round pick, but likes him as slot CB more than just safety.

So the safety class is deep? Wasn't someone saying it was just Ha-Ha and also-rans until Prior declared to make it a two horse race? If that makes for a deep class they must be saying the QB class is the Mariana Trench.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Love the unswerving confidence of an armchair GM!
    LOL so true and yet we're all guilty of it. What makes him so sure he'll be great as a slot CB?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    What think ye all of Max Bullough, LB?
    Ah.... I see the Packers are interested in him - unless it's just a smokescreen.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Ah.... I see the Packers are interested in him - unless it's just a smokescreen.
    The story being floated by JSO is that TT loves Bullough because he's instinctive and made the defensive calls at MSU. Also the coaches supposedly raved about his ability to pick up and run the defense at whatever draft bowl game (East-West?) he was in.
    Seems productive enough, worry about sudden weight gain after the mystery suspension. Maybe he's got a mental condition and his meds weren't right. Bullough isn't saying much about the Rose Bowl suspension, but he's not making it sound like a big deal either so I don't think it's a DUI, pot, or pulling a Darren Sharper.

The other thing is I'm not sure from an athletic standpoint he's an upgrade over what's there already. Maybe the instincts, etc., can make up for that, but I'd worry about his pass coverage skills. He might be ok as Hawk's replacement, but I think a Mosley/Shazier type would be better Jones' replacement.

(Bear in mind I base this from video clips and interwebz posts. I don't have time to watch football on Saturdays.)

I think a lot of teams probably like Bullough in the middle rounds, including GB. I'm guessing he goes in R4, give or take 8 picks. Would be surprised if he were there when the Walden comp pick comes up unless the suspension details are leaked and it's bad.

Kipper's dropped Bridgewater to the second round!
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...per-Mock-Draft
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Funny. Wasn't he supposed to be a Top 3 or Top 5 pick?
    What if he falls to 21 and TT takes him? Compared to a lot of QBs he's not a big guy but he seemed to show leadership, a decent arm and mobility, and had good accuracy. M3 could probably do a lot with him but I think as with many QBs it would take a couple of years.

I honestly can't imagine Bridgewater falling out of R1. I'd be surprised if someone took McCarron or Carr over this guy.
    I think Bortles is the 1st QB, Manziel is gone by mid-R1 and Bridgewater probably the same.

The rumor mill is grinding out misinformation at top speed right now, if you read every online story as if it were completely false the stories make more sense.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    The story being floated by JSO is that TT loves Bullough because he's instinctive and made the defensive calls at MSU.
    he lines 'em up like the best of them! HAWK II - the sequel.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Anybody (with Insider) know who Kiper had the Packers picking in his new Mock Draft? I'm assuming whoever he has slotted will definitely not be the pick by TT.

Pryor I believe.
    C.H.U.D.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...elvin-benjamin

Code:
    PICK	TEAM			PLAYER
    1	Houston Texans		Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    2	St. Louis Rams		Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    3	Jacksonville Jaguars	Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    4	Cleveland Browns	Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    5	Oakland Raiders		Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    6	Atlanta Falcons		Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    7	Tampa Bay Buccaneers	Mike Evans, WR, Texams A&M
    8	Minnesota Vikings	Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    9	Buffalo Bills		Jake Matthews, OT, Texams A&M
    10	Detroit Lions		Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    11	Tennessee Titans	Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    12	New York Giants		Eric Ebron, TE, UNC
    13	St. Louis Rams		Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    14	Chicago Bears		Aarond Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    15	Pittsburgh Steelers	Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
    16	Dallas Cowboys		Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
    17	Baltimore Ravens	Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    18	New York Jets		Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon St.
    19	Miami Dolphins		C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    20	Arizona Cardinals	Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    21	GREEN BAY PACKERS	RYAN SHAZIER, OLB, Ohio State
    22	Philadelphia Eagles	Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU
    23	Kansas City Chiefs	Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    24	Cincinnati Bengals	Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    25	San Diego Chargers	Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
    26	Cleveland Browns	Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    27	New Orleans Saints	Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
    28	Carolina Panthers	Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    29	New England Patriots	Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    30	San Francisco 49ers	Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    31	Denver Broncos		Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    32	Seattle Seahawks	Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

How old is Rodgers? Ya, he's got a more than a few years left, but so did Favre when Rodgers was picked. I would not be upset at all if he was sitting there when the Packer's pick came up and they grabbed him.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

My boy, Brock Jensen. Been touting him for awhile to some buddies of mine from Minnesota. I think he'd be worth a late round flyer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...it-the-packers
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    So the safety class is deep? Wasn't someone saying it was just Ha-Ha and also-rans until Prior declared to make it a two horse race? If that makes for a deep class they must be saying the QB class is the Mariana Trench.
    that was me, when i started doing my research on the draft back in november, when it had become clear that we need to find a new safety, many of the experts were calling this one of the weakest and shallowest safety groups in recent memory

so i have no clue what's changed

heres a question and response that sum things up pretty well from "ask vic"

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...7-054235582610

Vic, now SI is running a story saying this is one of the deepest safety classes in years. Who do I believe?

I put my faith in Tony Pauline and he says it’s a weak safety class. The crazy thing about this draft class is that I hadn’t heard or read anybody praise it until Kevin Colbert exploded with his evaluation at the combine. I was stunned by what Colbert said, but he seemed to trigger an avalanche because since then everyone is saying this is an all-timer. Hey, I’m not a scout nor am I a draftnik, so take this with a large grain of salt: I thought the talent at the Senior Bowl was a definite step down from the previous year. I didn’t see a lot of first-round type of talent at the Senior Bowl. Is there any chance this draft class is being overrated? Is the long wait possibly causing that? Are we trying to entertain ourselves?
    Last edited by red; 04-19-2014 at 08:12 AM.

heres my favorite mock draft site, this guy is one of the better ones in the business year after year. right before the draft he assigns a madden like rating to the prospects, he finally did that this week

http://www.draftace.com/

heres what he's got

free safeties

1. clinton dix- 93
    2. pryor- 92
    3. Terrence Brooks-82
    4. ed reynolds- 75
    5. Kenny Ladler- 66
    6. Dion Bailey- 65
    7. Marqueston Huff -61
    8. Christian Bryant- 56
    9. Avery Patterson- 50
    10. Ty Zimmerman- 50
    11. Tre Boston - 45
    12. Lonnie Ballentine- 45

strong safety

1. Jimmie Ward- 87
    2. Deone Bucannon- 83
    3. Ahmad Dixon- 60
    4. Isaiah Lewis- 59
    5. Hakeem Smith- 58
    6. Brock Vereen- 55
    7. Sean Parker- 50
    8. Vinnie Sunseri- 50
    9. Craig Loston- 45
    10. Alden Darby- 45
    11. Brian Jackson- 45

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    heres my favorite mock draft site, this guy is one of the better ones in the business year after year. right before the draft he assigns a madden like rating to the prospects, he finally did that this week

http://www.draftace.com/

heres what he's got

free safeties

1. clinton dix- 93
    2. pryor- 92
    3. Terrence Brooks-82
    4. ed reynolds- 75
    5. Kenny Ladler- 66
    6. Dion Bailey- 65
    7. Marqueston Huff -61
    8. Christian Bryant- 56
    9. Avery Patterson- 50
    10. Ty Zimmerman- 50
    11. Tre Boston - 45
    12. Lonnie Ballentine- 45

strong safety

1. Jimmie Ward- 87
    2. Deone Bucannon- 83
    3. Ahmad Dixon- 60
    4. Isaiah Lewis- 59
    5. Hakeem Smith- 58
    6. Brock Vereen- 55
    7. Sean Parker- 50
    8. Vinnie Sunseri- 50
    9. Craig Loston- 45
    10. Alden Darby- 45
    11. Brian Jackson- 45
    He has Tahj Boyd three spots ahead of Tom Savage at QB, so his board looks out of date. Most of the boards that stay up to date have Savage in going in the first 3 rounds and Boyd going in the mid to late rounds. He also has Jared Abbrederis as the 6th best WR--which I think is a big reach. Not sure I trust this board much.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson