Mosely
    Shazier
    Pryor
    Cooks
    Dennard
    Beckham Jr.
    trade back

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'd love to see some speed on this team, whether at ILB or safety or wide receiver or tight end.
    Me too. Especially at safety and ilb. We have a good team. On defense we need a guy who can fly around and clean up.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

We have a whole team of good players, guys who are kind of natural football guys. We need one more star and I think we're over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Me too. Especially at safety and ilb. We have a good team. On defense we need a guy who can fly around and clean up.
    We have a whole team of good players, guys who are kind of natural football guys. We need one more star and I think we're over the top.
    I try to be practical in my feelings about where the team really is, or where it could be; but I am haunted by feelings of how 2011, 2012 and 2013 could have been if Collins had just gotten his head a little lower, or if Stewart had jumped an inch higher. Losing him in the back of the defense was worse than playing without Matthews has been, because losing him affected the defense from sideline to sideline and from the line of scrimmage to the goal line. They had a special player roaming in that territory, and the drop-off from him to those who replaced him has been huge.

..and he likely would still be at the top of his game in 2014-2015.

I agree, Patler, he was so good at what he did (cover the whole back end by himself and the surest tackler I've seen in Green Bay in the last 10 years.) And safety play has become paramount in the new NFL. Just like the QB affects the whole passing game on offense, the free safety affects the whole passing game on defense because a great one can sort of be everywhere. In the last 10-15 years, just like nearly every Sb winning team has had a QB playing at the top of the league, so has every Sb winning team had a safety (usually free safety) doing the same.

I'm worried about the safety position, and we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us. I'm not in in love with any of them. Haha is a poor athlete who knows how to play, prior not much better. Solid players, probably, but they don't look like the difference makers Sb winning teams field at the position. I'll hope for the best though. We have such a good team, you just never know.

......we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us......
    I've been started to get that feeling. A couple months ago, I saw some tape and read about Pryor and thought - Wow, he's the answer. Then, you read a little more and then comes the combine. Now, I'm not sure he's what this defense needs.

I agree, Patler, he was so good at what he did (cover the whole back end by himself and the surest tackler I've seen in Green Bay in the last 10 years.) And safety play has become paramount in the new NFL. Just like the QB affects the whole passing game on offense, the free safety affects the whole passing game on defense because a great one can sort of be everywhere. In the last 10-15 years, just like nearly every Sb winning team has had a QB playing at the top of the league, so has every Sb winning team had a safety (usually free safety) doing the same.

I'm worried about the safety position, and we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us. I'm not in in love with any of them. Haha is a poor athlete who knows how to play, prior not much better. Solid players, probably, but they don't look like the difference makers Sb winning teams field at the position. I'll hope for the best though. We have such a good team, you just never know.
    HaHa is known as a FREAK athlete. His 40 time was a little slow. He was a 5 star recruit out of high school. He was in the top 5 total players I believe... this is the same class as freaks like Jadeveon Clowney.

40 time isn't everything. I was dissapointed in his time, personally, but to say he's not an elite athlete is crazy. Safeties don't go in round 1 unless they have special skills.

Collins combine results:
    40 Yard Dash: 4.36 seconds
    20 Yard Dash: 2.62 seconds
    10 Yard Dash: 1.61 seconds
    Bench Press: 11 reps (225 lb)
    Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)
    Vertical Leap: 40.0 inches
    Broad Jump: 118 inches
    20 Yd Shuttle: 4.16 seconds
    Three Cone: 6.94 seconds
    60 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds

Clinton-Dix combine results
    40 Yard Dash: *4.58 seconds
    20 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
    10 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
    Vertical Leap: 33.0 inches
    Broad Jump: 117 inches
    Three Cone: 7.16 seconds

Clinton-Dix pro day numbers
    Junior FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who could be the first defensive back drafted in May, stood on his times from the NFL Combine, but did perform positional drills for scouts. He ran a 4.58 in Indianapolis with a 33-inch vertical jump, 4.16 short shuttle and 7.16 3-cone drill.

I miss Nick. Hope we get a guy with a brain and that top gear.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Safety is probably the single hardest position to evaluate, excepting possibly quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Safety is probably the single hardest position to evaluate, excepting possibly quarterback.
    At this point Ted should just draft CBs (he can do that in his sleep) and hope for the best.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    it's like Matt Millen and receivers
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I know it's years past, but I still take issue with their characterization of Justin Harrell.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Collins combine results:
    40 Yard Dash: 4.36 seconds
    20 Yard Dash: 2.62 seconds
    10 Yard Dash: 1.61 seconds
    Vertical Leap: 40.0 inches
    Broad Jump: 118 inches
    Three Cone: 6.94 seconds

Clinton-Dix combine results
    40 Yard Dash: *4.58 seconds
    20 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
    10 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
    Vertical Leap: 33.0 inches
    Broad Jump: 117 inches
    Three Cone: 7.16 seconds

Clinton-Dix pro day numbers
    Junior FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who could be the first defensive back drafted in May, stood on his times from the NFL Combine, but did perform positional drills for scouts. He ran a 4.58 in Indianapolis with a 33-inch vertical jump, 4.16 short shuttle and 7.16 3-cone drill.

I miss Nick. Hope we get a guy with a brain and that top gear.

Nick is just a freak. Look at those numbers compared to a guy like Haha. Insane how much faster and quicker he is. He was shorter at 5'11", but so what? Dude was a ball of muscle and speed. HOF type guy I think.

I wonder how antsy Ted was waiting to see if Collins would be there with that second pick. He didn't trade up, I don't think.

Or am I just musing about this with the benefit of hindsight? Did Ted see him as another promising guy with no guarantees and enough downside to make it a crapshoot?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I wonder how antsy Ted was waiting to see if Collins would be there with that second pick. He didn't trade up, I don't think.

Or am I just musing about this with the benefit of hindsight? Did Ted see him as another promising guy with no guarantees and enough downside to make it a crapshoot?
    Collins was projected as a Round 3 or 4 pick. Lot's of folks thought he was a reach at the time at 51.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Collins was projected as a Round 3 or 4 pick. Lot's of folks thought he was a reach at the time at 51.
    There was some question about whether he would be a CB or Safety. I remember the draft position list I was using had him listed at a different position than what he was announced as when drafted. CB/S or S/CB, I don't remember which.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Absolutely, most fans thought it was a reach because he was projected to go a round or two later by the "experts". I studied Collins and actually liked the pick. However, I didn't like the first round pick. Some Tedford QB out of Cal.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

The board thought Thompson was out of his mind. Same thing with Jennings and Jordy.

The board thought Thompson was out of his mind. Same thing with Jennings and Jordy.
    Shit not me, I loved the Jennings pick at the time while everyone else was freaking out we didn't take that Chad Jackson.