Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

I was one of those guys, Brandon. Doh!

But I did trust TT when I found out that he'd traded out of the first round to take some white farm boy receiver from Kansas. I shuddered, thinking of whiny Billy Schroeder, but I kept the faith.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

My gut tells me that TT drafts Odell Beckham in the first round. He reminds me of Greg Jennings.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    My gut tells me that TT drafts Odell Beckham in the first round. He reminds me of Greg Jennings.
    More likely than my Manziel prediction from 3 weeks ago when he was the spawn of Satan and dropping.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The knock on Collins was that he simply wasn't very bright, and he really wasn't. How he ended up though, erases all of the bonehead plays he made, or didn't make while in the midst of growing pains.

It took him a few seasons, but once he had enough reps and enough experience, his speed, athleticism, and physicality made him special.

It's convenient to forget the growing pains though... first few years, Collins was a mess out there.
    wist

I was happy with the Jennings pick, but a little dubious of the Jordy pick. It took him a while, but he proved more than worth that selection.

If we draft a WR with our 1st pick I hope its Kelvin Benjamin.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    The knock on Collins was that he simply wasn't very bright, and he really wasn't. How he ended up though, erases all of the bonehead plays he made, or didn't make while in the midst of growing pains.

It took him a few seasons, but once he had enough reps and enough experience, his speed, athleticism, and physicality made him special.

It's convenient to forget the growing pains though... first few years, Collins was a mess out there.
    Yeah, I thought Collins took bad angles at times, especially early. By his 3rd season he was making more plays than mistakes and you could tell he was gonna turn out good.
    This leads me to think that no matter who they draft at S -- and TT will draft at least one safety -- it's probably gonna take them some time to figure things out. All the "he's a bust" people need to chill and be patient. Rookies rarely start and succeed in the NFL.

I've been wondering if Beckham isn't TT's pick. I've heard comparisons to Jennings, he runs good routes and has good speed, and he would add juice to the return game while he pushes Miles White for the #4 spot and learns the offense. So the pick does make a lot of sense. Haven't seen Benjamin but I'm wary of guys who are one-season wonders, and he had 3 catches or less in half of his games last year. IMO the potential might be there but not the production.

The difference with Collins was that you could see the talent and he would more than occasionally execute on it. The fact that he broke up a significant number of passes and then dropped them, made it easier to wait for his hands to get better. It wasn't a pipe dream to see him apply his skills on the field like it was with McMillan or Jennings. Neither of them made enough plays that encouraged you to live with the mistakes.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-24-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The difference with Collins was that you could see the talent and he would more than occasionally execute on it. The fact that he broke up a significant number of passes and then drop them, made it easier to wait for his hands to get better. It wasn't a pipe dream to see him apply his skills on the field like it was with McMillan or Jennings. Neither of them made enough plays that encouraged you to live with the mistakes.
    Neither of them made any plays last year and it rubbed off on Burnett. Addition by subtraction I say.

I've been researching Pryor, and I think I was completely wrong about him. Dude looks legit. My new safety rankings: Pryor, Ward, HaHa
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Absolutely, most fans thought it was a reach because he was projected to go a round or two later by the "experts". I studied Collins and actually liked the pick. However, I didn't like the first round pick. Some Tedford QB out of Cal.
    A round or two? Kiper had him ranked in the 60's for CBs. My magazines - Lindy's and Street & Smith - one didn't list him and the other had him noted at the end as a possible FA pickup along with 20 other names.

To the best of my memory, at the time, most fans thought he would go undrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    If we draft a WR with our 1st pick I hope its Kelvin Benjamin.
    No offense, but fuck this. The guy is athletic and big, but he can't judge a ball in the air nor catch. :/

Benjamin vs Florida this year

Looks like a perennial all pro one minute and Turd Ferguson the next. He's enormous and can really run.

What do we know about Shaw #81 other than he got rocked a couple years ago? 4.58 40 but a good KR/PR guy? Seems fluid in and out of cuts and has good hands per the few videos I can find.

I've been researching Pryor, and I think I was completely wrong about him. Dude looks legit. My new safety rankings: Pryor, Ward, HaHa
    with pryor, i'm worried about the 15 yard penalties. he's a hard hitter and leads with his shoulder/head a lot

if this was 5 years ago, i'd think he was amazing, in todays pussified NFL,he looks like a guy who could get flagged on every single play, unless he adjusts his game completely.

and if he did that, would he still look as good?

but i think its a moot point, i think pryor and clinton dix will both be gone in the top half of round 1. which leaves us with ward. either staying put at 21 to get him, or trade back 5 or 6 spots and pick up an extra 3rd, then pick ward.

ward i think, might be the best safety for capers system, like i've been saying for a couple weeks now, woodson Jr imo

That was his worst game of his career as far as drops, shit even Jordy Nelson had three drops in the Super Bowl. What I do remember is him catching the game winning TD on 4th down for the BCS National Championship. Dude is a huge red zone target which is something we struggled with last season, I think Rodgers would turn him into a star. With that being said I still hope we go defense with our 1st pick but if we do pick a receiver I like Benjamin over another WR under 6 feet tall.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    That was his worst game of his career as far as drops, shit even Jordy Nelson had three drops in the Super Bowl. What I do remember is him catching the game winning TD on 4th down for the BCS National Championship. Dude is a huge red zone target which is something we struggled with last season, I think Rodgers would turn him into a star. With that being said I still hope we go defense with our 1st pick but if we do pick a receiver I like Benjamin over another WR under 6 feet tall.
    I like the size/speed combo, but I don't like the route running. His hands are probably better than Finley's - and Scott Wells'

I think TT might draft offense first, but for certain first or second round.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    No offense, but fuck this. The guy is athletic and big, but he can't judge a ball in the air nor catch. :/
    After watching that video Zool just posted I disagree, he seems like he can locate the ball just fine. I agree he drops some easy passes but I like how after every drop he came back with a big play. I could be wrong but with his combination of size, strength and speed, I'm willing to gamble he'll be a stud on the right team.

I guess I like Jordan Matthews better. Not quite the physical specimen Benjamin is (6-3, 212 vs. 6-5, 235), but is a more polished receiver.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Since TT has never drafted a receiver in the 1st round, maybe this is the year, but somehow I just don't see it.