Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I wonder how antsy Ted was waiting to see if Collins would be there with that second pick. He didn't trade up, I don't think.

Or am I just musing about this with the benefit of hindsight? Did Ted see him as another promising guy with no guarantees and enough downside to make it a crapshoot?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I wonder how antsy Ted was waiting to see if Collins would be there with that second pick. He didn't trade up, I don't think.

Or am I just musing about this with the benefit of hindsight? Did Ted see him as another promising guy with no guarantees and enough downside to make it a crapshoot?
    Collins was projected as a Round 3 or 4 pick. Lot's of folks thought he was a reach at the time at 51.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Collins was projected as a Round 3 or 4 pick. Lot's of folks thought he was a reach at the time at 51.
    There was some question about whether he would be a CB or Safety. I remember the draft position list I was using had him listed at a different position than what he was announced as when drafted. CB/S or S/CB, I don't remember which.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Absolutely, most fans thought it was a reach because he was projected to go a round or two later by the "experts". I studied Collins and actually liked the pick. However, I didn't like the first round pick. Some Tedford QB out of Cal.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Absolutely, most fans thought it was a reach because he was projected to go a round or two later by the "experts". I studied Collins and actually liked the pick. However, I didn't like the first round pick. Some Tedford QB out of Cal.
    A round or two? Kiper had him ranked in the 60's for CBs. My magazines - Lindy's and Street & Smith - one didn't list him and the other had him noted at the end as a possible FA pickup along with 20 other names.

To the best of my memory, at the time, most fans thought he would go undrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesner View Post
    A round or two? Kiper had him ranked in the 60's for CBs. My magazines - Lindy's and Street & Smith - one didn't list him and the other had him noted at the end as a possible FA pickup along with 20 other names.

To the best of my memory, at the time, most fans thought he woud go undrafted.
    The rankings that came out early barely had him listed, guys like Gosselin at the Dallas Morning News had him as a late riser going in the top 50. He and McGinn were the best. Too bad DMN took him of draft coverage.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson