Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

He's not expected to be drafted, from what I've seen, so as an undrafted free agent, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    He's not expected to be drafted, from what I've seen, so as an undrafted free agent, I'm all for it.
    depends on who's opinion you take

one of my main sites for draft info projects him going in rounds 3-5. they actually have him ranked higher then tre boston

If someone takes Southward in the first five rounds, I really hope it's not us.

Some of the sites differ quite a bit on Southward. GBNReport had him 144 on their big board. CBS had him 251. He might have helped himself at Wisconsin's Pro Day today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/248623341.html
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

The question I have re: Southward is...can he play safety? I haven't seen him play.
    Sounds like he's super athletic, but if he can't tackle or cover is he worth drafting?

Also, with all the vertebrae injuries, his medical may cause a little hesitation. Probably shouldn't, but I'm just sayin'.

C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    He's a possible 1st round pick. Most see him as a Will in a 4-3. He'd be kind of small playing OLB in a 3-4.

Rob Rang at CBS has the Packers taking him:

(8-7-1) Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State: For the second consecutive season the Packers were knocked out of the playoffs by Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers and therefore improvements to the back end of this defense remains a top priority. Shazier, who possesses this draft's most compelling combination of instincts and explosiveness, would make an immediate impact on this defense.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Not surprised, he put on a show at the combine. Some guys on here were already groaning about the thought of another Ohio State LB with through the roof measureables.

You might notice he's got that can't grow hair disease. Makes him aerodynamic.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Not surprised, he put on a show at the combine. Some guys on here were already groaning about the thought of another Ohio State LB with through the roof measureables.

Plus he has a tweaked hamstring. Sounds like a good fit.

If the Packers drafted him, you think he plays inside or outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Plus he has a tweaked hamstring. Sounds like a good fit.

If the Packers drafted him, you think he plays inside or outside?
    I'd think with that 42 inch vertical you've at least got to give him a chance to be Cam Wake and let him rush the passer. I love that there is a plan B with him where you could easily move him inside though. Super easy to get him on the field.

here's an interesting idea that i haven't seen anywhere yet

shazier at safety?

he's obviously athletic and fast enough

he played around 230 this year, a bit lite for any LB, but big for a safety

what are his cover skills like? anyone know?

ok, he's pretty good in the passing game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ing-at-pro-day

Mayock said Shazier is a great fit for today's NFL because "he's so good in the pass game."
    Last edited by red; 03-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Nah, you play him inside at Brad Jones' spot, and find a bigger athlete for Hawk's spot. If he can run like a deer you'd think he could play pass coverage...but you never know. IMO the ILBs lack speed and range.

Ryan Shazier is also named Aaron Maybin if you jump into a time machine and go back a few years. But seriously, he's too small, and most likely will never be effective because of it (as a pass rusher). As a traditional linebacker, he might not be bad.

I'd think with that 42 inch vertical you've at least got to give him a chance to be Cam Wake and let him rush the passer. I love that there is a plan B with him where you could easily move him inside though. Super easy to get him on the field.
    Wake outweighs him by about 20-25 pounds. My concern with Shazier at OLB would be whether he could set the edge on running plays. I wouldn't mind seeing him lining up next to Hawk though. Hawk is solid, but needs an explosive player to team with. He had it a couple of years with Bishop, but hasn't had it since.

I hope he brings a replacement bowl of candy beans with him.

Wouldn't be opposed to Shazier, but I'm hoping for a more marquee guy to slip to #21, rather than a high-ceiling reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Wake outweighs him by about 20-25 pounds. My concern with Shazier at OLB would be whether he could set the edge on running plays. I wouldn't mind seeing him lining up next to Hawk though. Hawk is solid, but needs an explosive player to team with. He had it a couple of years with Bishop, but hasn't had it since.
    Not when he came out he wasn't. Wake was weighed at 236 LBS at the combine, nearly identical to Shazier.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Ryan Shazier is also named Aaron Maybin if you jump into a time machine and go back a few years. But seriously, he's too small, and most likely will never be effective because of it (as a pass rusher). As a traditional linebacker, he might not be bad.
    That comparison begins and ends with their ability to jump and have long arms. Shazier is a lot faster and changes directions much better. Even accounting for the size difference. Shazier does enough things well that a Von Miller comparison is better.

The Packers played Brad Jones at OLB in their first year as a 3-4 and he was lighter and thinner than Shazier.

That comparison begins and ends with their ability to jump and have long arms. Shazier is a lot faster and changes directions much better. Even accounting for the size difference. Shazier does enough things well that a Von Miller comparison is better.

The Packers played Brad Jones at OLB in their first year as a 3-4 and he was lighter and thinner than Shazier.
    And there's a reason Jones was moved inside. He was too small to play OLB. Unless Shazier could get up to about 250, I don't think he can play outside in a 3-4.

He's on the low end for sure but he wouldn't be the first to do it. James Harrison was about his size. I just think if you had an athlete like that you'd have to give them a shot to use that speed on the edge where it can do maximum damage. Is it likely he'll succeed at it? No it isn't, but then again the odds of any edge rusher hitting their potential outside of the top 10 are pretty slim. The beauty of Shazier though is that he's also a very safe choice to play inside as well where his all-around game could shine. If MM is serious about cross-training defenders in order to move them around then Shazier has a lot of value because of how easy he is to get on the field.

at 247 pounds, hawk had a 40 inch verticle at the combine and at his pro day, some folks there clocked him running the 40 in 4.38, his official time at his pro day was still in the 4.4's

OSU, has historically run their pro days on a very, very fast track