Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    He's seen as a 2nd round pick by CBS. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...immy-garoppolo Things didn't work out so well the last time TT drafted a QB in the 2nd round.

lol, no. And that was a guy who was, at one point, projected as a possible #1!

Didn't know he was graded that high - 5th at his position, right after the big 4, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles that are all projected top half of the first. So ya, I would expect a team that wasn't looking to draft an opening day starter take him in the second or at latest, the third. I thought he might be hanging around in the 5th or later, and could be picked up as a Matt Flynn-like prospect.

He broke all of Romo's records, but seeing Romo went undrafted that's not a big deal.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    lol, no. And that was a guy who was, at one point, projected as a possible #1!

Didn't know he was graded that high - 5th at his position, right after the big 4, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles that are all projected top half of the first. So ya, I would expect a team that wasn't looking to draft an opening day starter take him in the second or at latest, the third. I thought he might be hanging around in the 5th or later, and could be picked up as a Matt Flynn-like prospect.

He broke all of Romo's records, but seeing Romo went undrafted that's not a big deal.
    There are only going to be 2 QBs drafted top half of the first. I think Bortles and Manziel will go, but you won't see a 3rd QB go until AFTER we pick.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    There are only going to be 2 QBs drafted top half of the first. I think Bortles and Manziel will go, but you won't see a 3rd QB go until AFTER we pick.
    It certainly seems like Bridgewater has shit the bed, although SI still has him rated as the top QB in the draft.
    http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/11/2014-nf...ks/?eref=sihp/
    so who knows.

Manziel has become interesting. His combine 40 combined with his Wonderlific score, plus the athleticism we already knew he had makes me re-evaluate him. I've seen some say that his Wonderlific isn't that great because it doesn't even put him in the top 10 of QBs who started a game in 2013, but have those morons heard of grading on a curve? His score was the HIGHEST of the year. The sample size should be big enough to show that the low scores are because the test was slightly harder than usual.

QBs with higher Wonderlifics

Blaine Gabbert - 42
    Alex Smith - 40
    Eli Manning - 39
    Matt Flynn - 38
    Colin Kaepernick - 38
    Matt Stafford - 38
    Andrew Luck - 37
    Tony Romo - 37
    Sam Bradford - 36
    Christian Ponder - 35
    Aaron Rodgers - 35
    Ryan Tannehill - 34
    Tom Brady - 33
    --

Pretty sure that the Vikings will draft Bridgewater now with all of this stuff pushing down his draft stock. All through last year, and until the start of the evaluation season, he was solidly considered the #1 QB in the draft. I swear to God... if they draft him and he becomes great I will never forgive the Browns.

Garoppolo will get drafted in the 2nd round by somebody. Teams are just too starved for competent QB play to let him slip out of the 2nd. He's pretty similar to Matt Ryan, a guy some people consider to be a top-10 or even top-5 QB in the league. If Garoppolo had gone to a higher profile college, he might even have snuck into the first round or supplanted Carr as the #4 QB.
    Last edited by smuggler; 04-13-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    It certainly seems like Bridgewater has shit the bed, although SI still has him rated as the top QB in the draft.
    http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/11/2014-nf...ks/?eref=sihp/
    so who knows.

Manziel has become interesting. His combine 40 combined with his Wonderlific score, plus the athleticism we already knew he had makes me re-evaluate him. I've seen some say that his Wonderlific isn't that great because it doesn't even put him in the top 10 of QBs who started a game in 2013, but have those morons heard of grading on a curve? His score was the HIGHEST of the year. The sample size should be big enough to show that the low scores are because the test was slightly harder than usual.
    Do you know that the test was harder or is this batch of QBs not as smart?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Do you know that the test was harder or is this batch of QBs not as smart?
    My understanding is that his score was not just the highest QB but the highest of anyone who took it this year - I could be wrong. If his score was QBs only, then the sample size was not large enough to make any assumptions about the difficulty of the test.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am sure this rumor is airtight.

Birds 24/7 ‏@Birds247 33m
    Per a report, the Eagles are "very high" on Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and "would consider trading up to grab him." http://goo.gl/qxldSL

Here's the link to a Detroit News article in which the beat writer claims the Lions are seriously interested in Sammy Watkins, and are willing to trade up to get him:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0101/304120032

It appears that the Lions are "all in" for this year, so for those of you arguing that TT should act in the same aggressive manner, this may be a chance to see how that works.

Looks like the Lions might be willing to give up their #10, a third, and a first or second next year in order to secure Watkins at the #3 or 4 spot in the draft - much like Atlanta with Julio Jones.

As the Anti-Lions fan, I think I'd love to see them do this. Yes, they'd have automatically the best receiving corps in the league - Megatron, Golden (Shower) Tate, and Watkins, but in a deep draft, to give up a third rounder, then a first or second next year...that's a lot. And remember, the Lions' defense is suffering from a lack of depth and talent at the corner spot and linebacker. Oh, and the negotiations to re-negotiate Suh's contract (this would be the second time they've done it) are dragging on.

So this is a team that is rolling the dice for this year, it seems. They signed two free agents - oen big one (Tate), and one middlin' one (Idhegibo). They're using free agency to plug holes, like they did with Reggie Bush last year.

They're very tight against the cap, what with Suh being owed I don't know how many millions this year, plus Stafford and Bush and Calvin Johnson having big contracts.

So here's our lab experiment. Let's see if the Lions pull the trigger on this trade, and if so, how it works to try to win rightnow, future be damned.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Isn't this kinda Deja Vu from a decade or two ago when the Lions got a couple of high first round WRs in a short period of years and had the "best WR corps in the NFL"? Hopefully this will work out equally well for them hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Here's the link to a Detroit News article in which the beat writer claims the Lions are seriously interested in Sammy Watkins, and are willing to trade up to get him:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0101/304120032

It appears that the Lions are "all in" for this year, so for those of you arguing that TT should act in the same aggressive manner, this may be a chance to see how that works.

Looks like the Lions might be willing to give up their #10, a third, and a first or second next year in order to secure Watkins at the #3 or 4 spot in the draft - much like Atlanta with Julio Jones.

As the Anti-Lions fan, I think I'd love to see them do this. Yes, they'd have automatically the best receiving corps in the league - Megatron, Golden (Shower) Tate, and Watkins, but in a deep draft, to give up a third rounder, then a first or second next year...that's a lot. And remember, the Lions' defense is suffering from a lack of depth and talent at the corner spot and linebacker. Oh, and the negotiations to re-negotiate Suh's contract (this would be the second time they've done it) are dragging on.

So this is a team that is rolling the dice for this year, it seems. They signed two free agents - oen big one (Tate), and one middlin' one (Idhegibo). They're using free agency to plug holes, like they did with Reggie Bush last year.

They're very tight against the cap, what with Suh being owed I don't know how many millions this year, plus Stafford and Bush and Calvin Johnson having big contracts.

So here's our lab experiment. Let's see if the Lions pull the trigger on this trade, and if so, how it works to try to win rightnow, future be damned.
    Do they think they don't need a defense to win right now? Let them do it. Atlanta found out how well it works.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

The Suh thing is gumming up the works for them, though they say they're perfectly happy to go into the season without finishing the renegotiation.

All I know is that when you renegotiate to get more cap space, you've got to give the player something. And that something is usually more money down the road. The Lions are, in my estimation, heading to a cap hell if they renegotiate this contract with Suh. And I'm not buying that "boo hoo we got lots of high picks before the last CBA so we're screwed paying those rookies all this money." That may have been so for a while, but the same management team has extended Stafford before really needing to, and renegotiated Suh's and Johnson's contracts already, and signed FA's freely.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I am going on record right now that Carr goes to NE with their 1st round pick. I am assuming he is the QB that gets to them, but if its one of the other "4" then I think they will draft whichever is available.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I am going on record right now that Carr goes to NE with their 1st round pick. I am assuming he is the QB that gets to them, but if its one of the other "4" then I think they will draft whichever is available.
    you think they don't like Mallett?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    you think they don't like Mallett?
    No reason to think they don't, and since he's still on the team I think they like him fine. If he's there, their phone rings and they move back to the top of the second.

I don't see that happening though. The scenario I envision is some of the teams at the top of the draft passing on a QB the first time around then trading back into the end of the first round once a QB goes off the board and they know a run is going to start. One of the teams I could see starting the run would be the Jets at #18 (they have to know Smith is a bomb), which would put the Pack in a good spot. It could start as late at Cleveland's second first round pick at #26, but I don't see that happening.

This would mean the players that go at the top of the first would be Watkins, Clowney, Mathews, Robinson, Mack...
    --

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    TT should draft a Fresno State player, Derek Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    TT should draft a Fresno State player, Derek Carr.
    Browns like him, and actually looked at him (unlike other QBs). Speculation they may take him/trade down (with whom??) and take him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Browns like him, and actually looked at him (unlike other QBs). Speculation they may take him/trade down (with whom??) and take him.
    Maybe the Lions, if the Lions are serious about trading up to take Sammy Watkins.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I thought I read that despite initial reports, they had met with all the top QBs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-2-3-weeks/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I thought I read that despite initial reports, they had met with all the top QBs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-2-3-weeks/
    They didn't go to pro days for some.

He's seen as a 2nd round pick by CBS. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...immy-garoppolo Things didn't work out so well the last time TT drafted a QB in the 2nd round.
    "Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps.
    " LINK

The man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoj4bQCaQs

Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois Highlights ᴴᴰ "The Man"
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-15-2014 at 06:08 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Maybe the Lions, if the Lions are serious about trading up to take Sammy Watkins.
    They are. I posted a link elsewhere about this - t hey're being rather up front about it all. I could see this happening.

KYPack