Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

I see Benjamin as a boom-or-bust pick. Given TT's track record of drafting WR's, he need not gamble on such a player. If someone else wants to draft Benjamin early, let them. We'll just have to be satisfied with the type of WR's TT drafts who may not be physical freaks, but who are really good football players. If the goal is to get a guy who would be an endzone target, I'd rather go for one of the big TE's available in Rounds 2-3.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

It would make no sense for us to take a WR in the 1st round of the draft, especially with how deep the WR class is this year. I just stated that IF we did take a WR I would prefer Benjamin over the other guys listed because of his size.

Jimmy Graham, Demaryuis Thomas, Dez Bryant, Vernon Davis, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Julius Thomas, Eric Decker, A.J. Green. Those were the top TD leaders last season, the shortest guy being Dez at 6'2. Jordy Nelson is 6-3 but hes not really a go up and get it type of receiver. We currently don't have that type of player on our team especially with Finley gone. Benjamin would make the most sense because he creates mismatches and hes a huge red zone threat. Yes hes raw but in the right system (ours) and with the right QB (Rodgers), this kid could turn into a stud. With all that being said we better draft a LB or S with our first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Vandermause on Packer Draft needs:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/2...rs-draft-needs

I find it odd he doesn't know who he wants to replace at ILB.
    1. Safety

Thompson inexplicably failed to draft a safety last year. He can’t afford to make the same mistake again, even if the Packers are thinking of moving cornerback Micah Hyde to safety. It’s time to reload at the Packers’ weakest position that was manned last season by M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian, who flopped badly.

YES !

2. Linebacker

Specifically, the Packers need a rough, tough, mean, agile, lumber-laying inside linebacker to replace either Brad Jones or A.J. Hawk.

Replace both of them.

3. Tight end

It would be shocking if Jermichael Finley returns after suffering a serious neck injury. He must be cleared by doctors and negotiate a new contract, two major stumbling blocks.

Somewhere in the first four Rds. get a TE.

4. Wide receiver

The more weapons Aaron Rodgers has the better, and the Packers go only three-deep at this position after losing James Jones to free agency. If Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb gets hurt, it wouldn’t be pretty.

TT will go WR early.

5. Offensive line

Maybe the Packers have their center of the future on the roster. Maybe the unproven JC Tretter will stop the revolving door from spinning at the position. But no one is sure about that and it wouldn’t hurt to bring in more competition. As for the rest of the line, there is sufficient depth with Don Barclay and possibly Derek Sherrod serving as backups behind a solid starting group.

Ted Thompson should address thje "C" position for insurance.

6. Defensive line

B.J. Raji is playing on a one-year contract, and Johnny Jolly (neck injury) and Ryan Pickett (age) might not be brought back. Remember the old saying: big men are hard to find.

TT should go DL early and make that a priority over the OL.

7. Cornerback

This is a well-stocked position at the moment, but Tramon Williams isn’t getting any younger and there’s a chance Hyde will land at safety.

You can't have enough solid CB's and especially in the NFL of today.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Vandermause on Packer Draft needs:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/2...rs-draft-needs

I find it odd he doesn't know who he wants to replace at ILB.
    I think it's pretty clear you need to replace one before you can replace the other.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think it's pretty clear you need to replace one before you can replace the other.
    Its also the most likely. But each has different strengths and replacing either had different effects, especially when you consider the talent of the guy replacing him. The jobs are not the same. Not telling us which, or who, should fill the role is sidestepping the issue of what's wrong with the ILBs.

He tells us Finley is a large unknown and his backups are not fully proven. Quarless is somewhat limited in comparison. Gives a clear picture of the need and what might help.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Terry Bridgewater has a $5 million loss-of-value insurance policy if he isn't drafted in the Top 10, which increasingly seems likely.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-out-of-top-10

Bridgewater purchased a $5 million loss-of-value insurance policy after the 2013 season, ESPN.com reported. That came on top of his $10 million total disability injury policy. Disability insurance has become common among top prospects, but ESPN.com reported that, "It is believed that no player who has bought loss-of-value insurance for the NFL draft has actually collected."

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Terry Bridgewater has a $5 million loss-of-value insurance policy if he isn't drafted in the Top 10, which increasingly seems likely.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-out-of-top-10
    Mathieu reportedly had one, and fell to the third round. He certainly lost value, but it wasn't because of an injury so I doubt he collected. I expect the same with Bridgewater, I haven't seen any report that he's hurt.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Terry?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Mathieu reportedly had one, and fell to the third round. He certainly lost value, but it wasn't because of an injury so I doubt he collected. I expect the same with Bridgewater, I haven't seen any report that he's hurt.
    I heard that Kate Upton bought a loss of value insurance policy on her rack, in case it (they) droop(s) prematurely. Probably hard to collect on that too, but the insurance assessment might be interesting.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Bowen likes Ward, even in the first if necessary. Does have him behind Ha-Ha and Prior.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ns-draft-radar

Given the multiple personnel packages we see from NFL defensive coordinators, Ward is a fit at the next level because of the versatility he brings to the secondary.

With speed in the high 4.4 range, coverage ability and ball skills (11 career interceptions), Ward can roll down over the slot, drop to the deep middle of the field or play in the run front where he can chop down ball-carriers.

Plus, Ward can align underneath in the defensive sub-packages as a nickel or dime defender in both man and zone schemes to give coordinators more flexibility in the game plan.

He is quick with his hands in press, physical on the release and displays the lateral ability/closing speed to attack the football as a zone defender.

There are questions on Ward’s size (5’11”, 193 lbs) and the level of competition he saw in the MAC Conference. However, after watching the NIU product compete in the Senior Bowl, there is no question he stacks up versus top talent.

I graded out Ward behind Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor, but don’t be surprised if he is drafted in the first round next Thursday night.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bowen likes Ward, even in the first if necessary. Does have him behind Ha-Ha and Prior.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ns-draft-radar
    Aren't we hearing now the Packers like Terrance Brooks? And as always, is that just media puff, is it a Packer smokescreen, or is it true?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Brooks has speed to spare. Even if he never becomes a starter, he would at least push Jarrett Bush off the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Aren't we hearing now the Packers like Terrance Brooks? And as always, is that just media puff, is it a Packer smokescreen, or is it true?
    When was the last time the pundits called Ted's pick outside of AJ Hawk?

Tennessee reportedly not picking up 2015 option on Jake Locker. http://tracking.si.com/2014/04/30/ti...5-team-option/

Do we add them to the list of teams looking to draft a QB early? Many thought they were targeting Anthony Barr.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Tennessee reportedly not picking up 2015 option on Jake Locker. http://tracking.si.com/2014/04/30/ti...5-team-option/

Do we add them to the list of teams looking to draft a QB early? Many thought they were targeting Anthony Barr.
    Maybe, but wouldn't say for sure. Locker is not a total loss, just not worth $14M that the option would've given him - he was a top 10 pick.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Reports keep coming out of Detroit - different reporters - that the Leos want to trade up.

They're Jonesin' for Watkins, and unless Mayhew is a genius and this is all a smokescreen, they're not even trying to hide it.

And I don't think it is a smokescreen. It's clear that the mandate from above is "win now," so there's no holding back. This might be another one of those years in which the Lions trade up - either to get Watkins, or, if they sit tight at ten, they may well trade up from their second round pick to try to get back into the first, late. That'd probably require their third, but they do have two fourths.

'Sniff. Sniff' What's that smell?

Ah, the sickly slightly sour smell of desperation.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I hope they get their wish. Its worked out well for the Falcons.

A trio of Megatron, Tate, and Watkins with Reggie Bush would be hard to stop.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    A trio of Megatron, Tate, and Watkins with Reggie Bush would be hard to stop.
    They would be. But they threw for almost 4,500 yards last year and had almost 6,300 yards in total offense last year. Where do the extra yards come from? If you throw for another 1,000 yards you are taking 100-250 carries away from the running game and Bush.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Maybe the Lions are more worried about Megatron's knee than people realize.