Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I likes me some Jimmie Ward. Perhaps the closest thing you'll find to Nick Collins in this draft--although not at that elite level. I've read that the drills that some tend to ignore at the combine (vertical and broad jump) are good indicators for success for safeties at the NFL level. The best safeties in the draft for combined SAA (speed, acceleration, and agility) + explosion (vertical and broad) are Jimmie Ward, Kenny Ladler, Dezman Southward, and Dontae Johnson (if he moves from CB). Buchanan is pretty close. Ward and Buchanan combine good tackling ability with those traits--although Buchanan looks stiff in coverage to me. Ward also has ball skills. His film looks good too. I'm very close to having him as my top rated safety.
    its tough, because for 4 months,i've been saying haha and pryor have been the 2 clear cut best safeties, then i found ward

and its tough to come to grips with, but i really am starting to think he could be the best safety in the draft

Blog Entries
    I like him. My final ILB board may have him at the top. Tough though because Mosley is a just a solid all-around player. He has a high floor. I'm not 100% positive that Shazier's game will translate to the NFL though. I think he has more upside than Mosley, and he might be the right fit for the Packers because our LBs have lacked coverage skills.

For what it's worth I consider Shazier and Mosley about even as fits for Green Bay; would be elated with both. But IMO no way do we have a shot at Mosley and it's about 50-50 for Shazier.

Ward will be there for sure..........I'M CALLING IT.......TRADE DOWN...............

TT trades down into round two.................Ward is there......Red Specialty............TT goes BPA and drafts a WR..............lol

that would add priceless entertainment through the whole off season
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its tough, because for 4 months,i've been saying haha and pryor have been the 2 clear cut best safeties, then i found ward

and its tough to come to grips with, but i really am starting to think he could be the best safety in the draft

he's a good form tackler and that INT was nice. Looks small but has football instincts. I still think HaHa and Prior are the two tops but I'm find with Ward and like him better than Buchanon and Brooks. I think Ward goes in the 30's
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    I likes me some Jimmie Ward. Perhaps the closest thing you'll find to Nick Collins in this draft--although not at that elite level. I've read that the drills that some tend to ignore at the combine (vertical and broad jump) are good indicators for success for safeties at the NFL level. The best safeties in the draft for combined SAA (speed, acceleration, and agility) + explosion (vertical and broad) are Jimmie Ward, Kenny Ladler, Dezman Southward, and Dontae Johnson (if he moves from CB). Buchanan is pretty close. Ward and Buchanan combine good tackling ability with those traits--although Buchanan looks stiff in coverage to me. Ward also has ball skills. His film looks good too. I'm very close to having him as my top rated safety.

To see Southward's name up there is kind of mind boggling. Top honor was honorary mention all Big Ten. He did start four years; but here is what his production was over four years.

He's the anti Chris Borland; complete opposite

BORLAND AS A BADGER- Team leader, smash mouth football player. Explosive tackler who made big time plays in big time games. Plays faster than his measurables ......but lacks measurables

SOUTHWARD AS A BADGER- Hardly noticeable to even the most diehard fan. Great Measurables in height, weight, and speed. But made a rarity of plays at best. Dude is fast, and stays healthy But match his production up against others.....yikes..it ain't there

SOUTHWARD
    playing in 54 games, never missing a game over his four-year career ... started 30 games, including 28 consecutive contests to end his career ... recorded 152 total tackles and 11.5 TFLs, forcing four fumbles ... made two interceptions and broke up 11 passes

I like Shazier a lot more than Mosley.

Would be happey with Shazier in the 1st, would be disappointed with Mosley.

Mosley is okay, but I want more upside in the 1st round than just "okay". I'm not even sure Mosley is a 2nd rounder... my initial reaction was 3rd rounder, but I haven't watched him much since I first took a look at him - I'll watch him some more and see if he changes my mind.
    wist

I'm really with you on the ilbs and safeties. I'm leaning Mosley a little more than you because of leadership and intangibles. I read scouts who said he could be better in the nfl because he understands the game. Casey Heyward is that kind of guy, better in the nfl. I do like Shaziers upside more and I waffle from time to time because he's just so fast and plays that way.

Then the safeties. I think all three of haha, cp and ward look similarly good on tape with prior winning the big-play battle. I think ward is the best tackler in open space and the best in man coverage. And he's the best athlete. I'm with you, if I ignore other peoples rankings, ward is the best safety in the group. Only reason I doubt it is because all the sites say he's 3rd.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

What if we got Mosley in the first and then moved up in the second and got ward too!! Plus peppers and Casey heyward back. If not for capers, we'd probably be pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    What if we got Mosley in the first and then moved up in the second and got ward too!! Plus peppers and Casey heyward back. If not for capers, we'd probably be pretty good.

If you believe GB is just a couple impact players away....as I do....everybody would be very happy with this !!!

On the other hand, if Shazier, Mosley, Prior, and Haha are all gone I really hope TT makes a strong effort to trade down

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    he's a good form tackler and that INT was nice. Looks small but has football instincts. I still think HaHa and Prior are the two tops but I'm find with Ward and like him better than Buchanon and Brooks. I think Ward goes in the 30's
    Is he really 5'11", though? He looks small on video. I like him, too, and I would be 100% cool with him if he is of size.

Blog Entries
    Just watched the NFL Network Mock Draft. They have a guy I LOVE dropping to 18 in Anthony Barr

Putting him opposite the Claymaker.....there is a guy I would move up for

They also have HaHa going to Chicago and Prior going to Ravens. Nearly everybody has the enforcer, Prior, going to Baltimore

To see Southward's name up there is kind of mind boggling. Top honor was honorary mention all Big Ten. He did start four years; but here is what his production was over four years.

He's the anti Chris Borland; complete opposite

BORLAND AS A BADGER- Team leader, smash mouth football player. Explosive tackler who made big time plays in big time games. Plays faster than his measurables ......but lacks measurables

SOUTHWARD AS A BADGER- Hardly noticeable to even the most diehard fan. Great Measurables in height, weight, and speed. But made a rarity of plays at best. Dude is fast, and stays healthy But match his production up against others.....yikes..it ain't there

SOUTHWARD
    playing in 54 games, never missing a game over his four-year career ... started 30 games, including 28 consecutive contests to end his career ... recorded 152 total tackles and 11.5 TFLs, forcing four fumbles ... made two interceptions and broke up 11 passes
    I don't think Southward will excel in the NFL, but you are selling him short. His name was used probably second most behind Borland's IMO. This is from the opinion of a guy who goes to a lot of home games and is typically buzzed, though, so that opinion may or may not be accurate when facts get involved. I'd describe him as active and a good college player.

Blog Entries
    they also had Mosley going 11; that was a surprise.

GB..they have them taking SHAZIER...calling him a guy who can run and cover and an explosive blitzer

Blog Entries
    Everybody has Derek Car going to Cleveland at 26; would any teams trade up to get ahead of them ??

Everybody has Derek Car going to Cleveland at 26; would any teams trade up to get ahead of them ??
    Id take Barr in a heartbeat, bretsky. Reminds me of Aldon smith without the alcoholism.

Let's hope. I would love this. Aren't the latest rumors having the DE going one, the LT going 2, then Sammy Watkins then the QB from TT to the Brownies?

Barr would be preferable to the other guys mentioned from a BPA perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Is he really 5'11", though? He looks small on video. I like him, too, and I would be 100% cool with him if he is of size.
    he was invited to the combine and did some of the non running stuff, his official height was 5'10 5/8ths i think. 193 pounds

that makes him a whole 3/8ths of an inch shorter then pryor

and also 3/8th of an inch short and 13 pounds lighter then nick collins was at the combine

If you believe GB is just a couple impact players away....as I do....everybody would be very happy with this !!!

On the other hand, if Shazier, Mosley, Prior, and Ha Ha are all gone I really hope TT makes a strong effort to trade down
    Looking at this over the last couple of days and it seems as if all three of the four we covet ie C. J. Mosely; Ryan Shazier and Calvin Prior might be picked prior to our #21 pick based on the current ranking by this draft site (CBS.Com).

Today... FS Ha ha Cllinton-Dix is ranked 23rd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...teadiest-riser

Newest CBS Ranking:

11th LB C.J. Mosely Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.65)

15th OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State (6-1, 237, 4.58)

18. FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville (5-11, 207, 4.58)

Others:

20. TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina (6-4, 250, 4.60)

21. DE Kony Ealy, Missouri (6-4, 273, 4.92)

22. WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State (5-10, 189, 4.33)

23. FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, Alabama* (6-1, 208, 4.58)

24. WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU (5-11, 198, 4.43)

25. DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State (6-3, 251, 4.80)

26. DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State (6-2, 299, 5.06)

27. WR Marqise Lee, Southern Cal (6-0, 192, 4.52)

28. CB Jason Verrett, TCU (5-9, 189, 4.38)

29. QB Derek Carr, Fresno State (6-2, 214, 4.69) woodbuck27: Maybe? .... Draft and trade him.

30. OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA (6-4, 307, 5.04)

31. WR Cody Latimer, Indiana (6-3, 215, 4.45)

32. OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU (6-3, 243, 4.71)

33. DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State (6-3, 274, 4.84)

34. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State (5-11, 194, 4.39)

35. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada (6-4, 302, 4.97)

36. FS Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois (5-11, 193, 4.59)
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Id take Barr in a heartbeat, bretsky. Reminds me of Aldon smith without the alcoholism.
    No kidding:

8. OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA (6-5, 255, 4.66):

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...teadiest-riser
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...raft-prospects

Tracking teams' interest in top 2014 NFL Draft prospects

Published: May 2, 2014 at 03:32 p.m.
    Updated: May 2, 2014 at 03:44 p.m.

Green Bay Packers

General manager at pro day: N/A

Head coach at pro day: N/A

Reported workout/visits:

Luke Bowanko, C, Virginia;

Jeremy Butler, WR, Tennessee-Martin;

Brandon Dixon, CB, Northwest Missouri State;

John Fullington, G, Washington State;

Brock Jensen, QB, North Dakota State;

Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh;

Jimmy Staten, DT, Middle Tennessee State;

Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State