Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

No, trade down when someone gets infatuated. All about the sweet haul of picks. I'd rather have the SC boy though.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    No, trade down when someone gets infatuated. All about the sweet haul of picks. I'd rather have the SC boy though.
    If the Packers lose out they will be 5-11. And while 9 straight losses would be the worst in the league, they still would not pick higher than 6th. So who would be picking later than that, but need to trade up to get a QB that would still be there? I mean it would be great if this pans out, but with at least Jax, TB, Hou and Min picking ahead of us and in the QB market, the stars would have to align perfectly. (Cleavland wanting to leapfrog Oakland would be good, but there has to be a QB that falls).
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    QB in Round 1?
    If we win two more games and finish with a 7-9 record we'll pick somewhere between positions 10-14.

Who's there at this time?

Rank - Name - Position - Position Rank - School - Class - Ht. - Wt. - Proj. Rd.

10 - Taylor Lewan - OT - 3 - Michigan - rSr - 6-7 - 315 - 1

11 - C.J. Mosley - OLB - 3 - Alabama - Sr - 6-2 - 232 - 1

12 - Louis Nix - DT - 1 - Notre Dame - rJr - 6-2 - 345 - 1

13 - Mike Evans - WR - 2 -Texas A&M - rSo - 6-5 - 225 - 1

14 - Vic Beasley - DE - 2 - Clemson - rJr - 6-2 - 235 - 1

15 - Derek Carr - QB - 4 Fresno State - rSr - 6-3 - 215 - 1

16 - Cameron Erving - OT- 4- Florida State - rJr - 6-5 - 320 - 1

17 - Jace Amaro - TE -1 - Texas Tech - Jr - 6-5 - 260 - 1
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    If we win two more games and finish with a 7-9 record we'll pick somewhere between positions 10-14.

Who's there at this time?

Rank - Name - Position - Position Rank - School - Class - Ht. - Wt. - Proj. Rd.

10 - Taylor Lewan - OT - 3 - Michigan - rSr - 6-7 - 315 - 1

11 - C.J. Mosley - OLB - 3 - Alabama - Sr - 6-2 - 232 - 1

12 - Louis Nix - DT - 1 - Notre Dame - rJr - 6-2 - 345 - 1

13 - Mike Evans - WR - 2 -Texas A&M - rSo - 6-5 - 225 - 1

14 - Vic Beasley - DE - 2 - Clemson - rJr - 6-2 - 235 - 1

15 - Derek Carr - QB - 4 Fresno State - rSr - 6-3 - 215 - 1

16 - Cameron Erving - OT- 4- Florida State - rJr - 6-5 - 320 - 1

17 - Jace Amaro - TE -1 - Texas Tech - Jr - 6-5 - 260 - 1
    if we find ourselves in a position to draft nix, then i would grab him, then let raji walk

the problem is, we have to make a decision on raji before the draft and if we let raji go, and can't draft nix, then we're boned because there's a big drop off between nix and anyone else that is fat enough to play nose

qb? heck no!! impact tight end.

I have zero interest in a non-LT offensive player. The offense is good enough with Aaron to win. They're never going to be a super bowl team without Aaron, so what is the point?

I think the QBs are gonna climb in the draft. There are a lot of good ones. Aaron Murray is a baller, the dude from Clemson is supposed to be good, AJ McCarron reminds me of Tom Brady for some reason. The dude from LSU, UCLA and the kid from Louisville are supposed to be the top 3 guys in the draft.

If Clowney fell, I'm all over it. I want the Packers to bring in a some combination of 3 ILB/S, CB, and a linemen.

I watched Alabama's QB AJ McCarron a couple of weeks ago in a game Vs LSU and he looked really solid.

He has that boyish Tom Brady look but he's cool with the ball and decisive and accurate with his throws. I just forget now how he wings it out to the sideline left.

I'm watching the OL again Vs Minny but if things don't change there yesterday >>> MM had better realize he has more RB's than Eddie Lacy. I felt so sorry for that young RB Vs the GIANTS. MM should utilize Starks and Franklin more unless the OL opens up holes. All those negative yard carries in that game last week Vs the GIANTS are a lasting indicator of real need on our OL.

A TE >>>a TE like Jimmy Graham. There is 'only one' TE like Jimmy Graham >>> Jimmy Graham. He's a rare beast.

A terrific weapon for Drew Brees and he'll be paid a $bundle$ to remain a Saint.

PACKERS !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Zach Mettenburger is intriguing on the 2nd day for a backup: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...nto-second-day
    Thanks Ted!

Quote Originally Posted by packrulz View Post
    Zach Mettenburger is intriguing on the 2nd day for a backup: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...nto-second-day
    If he lasts to day 2 (which wouldn't surprise me, with a torn ACL) he'll go early in R2 a la Geno Smith. Not sure TT will pull the trigger on a pick that high with other needs on defense and Tolzien to develop. I could see him go the late round or UDFA route, unless a veteran comes available cheap in FA or waivers.
    Let's say Ponder, Sanchez or Gabbert get cut...would TT/M3 want to take on a project like that as a backup? Is Matt Schaub gonna stick with HOU having a high pick?

I think when it's GB turn to draft and TT sees a group of similarly graded BPA's, he will give preference to DL, WR, S, TE, and ILB over QB in the draft.

Interesting to see when Zach goes. He was thought to be a high R1.

i'm starting to lean towards CJ Mosley, if HaHa is already gone when we pick

i think he could be exactly the type of player we need in the middle of the field

take him in the first, take a TE in the second, and then grab one of the second tier of safties in the third (second tier is everyone besides HaHa)

And we need a good MLB. Brad Jones can't tackle to save his life. I liked the guy way back when when he had four sacks in his rookie season playing for an injured Kampman, but I'm officially done. Too many missed tackles for a MLB.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    And we need a good MLB. Brad Jones can't tackle to save his life. I liked the guy way back when when he had four sacks in his rookie season playing for an injured Kampman, but I'm officially done. Too many missed tackles for a MLB.
    He has not progresses at all. His tackling in tight is atrocious. He can still cover, but 1st and 2nd down aren't kind to him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He has not progresses at all. His tackling in tight is atrocious. He can still cover, but 1st and 2nd down aren't kind to him.
    i'm not convinced he can cover either after this weeks game

is offensive tackle back on the table yet? sherrod is healthy, and he's playing on special teams. barclay isn't lighting the world on fire, if sherrod had anything to offer then i think he would have been in there getting a look-see

are bulaga and bach with barclay backing them up going to be good enough? i don't know. bach has been really up and down in my opinion

and it does look like we might be falling out of the clinton-dix race. we just keep winning and dropping in the round

i am noticing a lot of mock having us taking a TE, either amaro from texas tech or ebron from north carolina

Packers currently have the 16th position in the draft. There are 4 teams at 7-8, so they could conceivably move as high as 12th if they lose Sunday. Of course if they win Sunday, then the earliest they could draft would be 21st. By the way, the last time the Packers picked 16th they took Justin Harrell.

Just to throw a name out there...NT Louis Nix of Notre Dame was thought to be a top 10 pick but had surgery for a torn meniscus in late November. Some mocks have him slipping to where he could be available when the Packers pick. Would TT take the chance?

The Redskins would have the 2nd pick in the draft, but St. Louis has the pick because of the RGIII deal. Ouch!
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers currently have the 16th position in the draft. There are 4 teams at 7-8, so they could conceivably move as high as 12th if they lose Sunday. Of course if they win Sunday, then the earliest they could draft would be 21st. By the way, the last time the Packers picked 16th they took Justin Harrell.

Just to throw a name out there...NT Louis Nix of Notre Dame was thought to be a top 10 pick but had surgery for a torn meniscus in late November. Some mocks have him slipping to where he could be available when the Packers pick. Would TT take the chance?

The Redskins would have the 2nd pick in the draft, but St. Louis has the pick because of the RGIII deal. Ouch!
    i've looked at nix, and he would be the big body that we need if raji and/or pickett leave

but, does anyone else think we suck at drafting d-linemen in the first and second rounds?

i think i would like it if nix were to be the pick, but i can also see us sitting here in 3 years saying the same things about nix that we're now saying about raji

who knows, but he is on my list of guys i wouldn't mind at this point

I wonder who ends up with Johnny 'football' Manziel. I have a pretty strong feeling that the best thing about him is going to be his bobble head doll.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I wonder who ends up with Johnny 'football' Manziel. I have a pretty strong feeling that the best thing about him is going to be his bobble head doll.
    The 2 mock drafts at CBS have him going 3rd (Jacksonville) and 8th (Minnesota). He's one guy who will be watched real closely at the combine in terms of his team and press interviews, to see how he carries himself. A real boom or bust pick.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The 2 mock drafts at CBS have him going 3rd (Jacksonville) and 8th (Minnesota). He's one guy who will be watched real closely at the combine in terms of his team and press interviews, to see how he carries himself. A real boom or bust pick.
    I listened to so called NFL experts say that Matt Schaub is definitely done in Houston and Case Keenum would make a decent backup to some QB that the Texans will obviously pick. I was surprized when those fellas said because Johnny Manziel comes from Texas A & M he might be a logical pick for the Houston Texans because of the popularity he'll draw for that team.

He's a dual threat style of QB and arguably the best coming out of college. He made strides passing downfield this season. Manziel is 6' - 1" and 210 lbs.

If they go QB they might be better off looking at either:

** Good height for the NFL.

A) Teddy Bridgewater 6' -3 " and a tad light 193 lbs; Big East Rookie of the Year (2011); Freshman All-American (2011); Big East Offensive Player of the Year (2012) and
    Sugar Bowl MVP, 2013 (2012 season)

B) Blake Bortles ** 6' - 4" and 230 lbs ; C-USA Champion (2010); 2012 Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl MVP; The American Champion (2013) and The American Offensive Player of the Year (2013).

GO PACKERS ... GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 12-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Woot, finally a new avatar
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i've looked at nix, and he would be the big body that we need if raji and/or pickett leave

but, does anyone else think we suck at drafting d-linemen in the first and second rounds?

i think i would like it if nix were to be the pick, but i can also see us sitting here in 3 years saying the same things about nix that we're now saying about raji

who knows, but he is on my list of guys i wouldn't mind at this point
    Packers haven't drafted well at all above 20 in over two decades - since Sterling Sharpe. And Sharpe, Reuttgers, and Lofton are the only memorable above 20 picks going back thirty years. The rest have been pretty much "meh." When Taylor, Holliday, Franks, Hawk, and Raji are the best you can get, you may as well trade down.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck