Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Looking at this over the last couple of days and it seems as if all three of the four we covet ie C. J. Mosely; Ryan Shazier and Calvin Prior might be picked prior to our #21 pick based on the current ranking by this draft site (CBS.Com).

Today... FS Ha ha Cllinton-Dix is ranked 23rd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...teadiest-riser

Newest CBS Ranking:

11th LB C.J. Mosely Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.65)

15th OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State (6-1, 237, 4.58)

18. FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville (5-11, 207, 4.58)

Others:

20. TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina (6-4, 250, 4.60)

21. DE Kony Ealy, Missouri (6-4, 273, 4.92)

22. WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State (5-10, 189, 4.33)

23. FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, Alabama* (6-1, 208, 4.58)

24. WR Odell Beckham Jr., LSU (5-11, 198, 4.43)

25. DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State (6-3, 251, 4.80)

26. DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State (6-2, 299, 5.06)

27. WR Marqise Lee, Southern Cal (6-0, 192, 4.52)

28. CB Jason Verrett, TCU (5-9, 189, 4.38)

29. QB Derek Carr, Fresno State (6-2, 214, 4.69) woodbuck27: Maybe? .... Draft and trade him.

30. OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA (6-4, 307, 5.04)

31. WR Cody Latimer, Indiana (6-3, 215, 4.45)

32. OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU (6-3, 243, 4.71)

33. DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State (6-3, 274, 4.84)

34. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State (5-11, 194, 4.39)

35. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada (6-4, 302, 4.97)

36. FS Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois (5-11, 193, 4.59)

OF THIS GROUP the only one that jumps out is Ebron as 22; I think he's going well ahead of us but perhaps that is due to not many TE's being worth muck. I also think the safeties get over drafted and it would really surprise me if HaHa and Prior get by the Ravens. Jimmy Ward will be there for us if we want him as many in PR do.

I would love it if somehow any of the following fell: Barr (I'd trade up if he gets close to us), HaHa, Prior, Shazier, and Mosley. I have a feeling it's going to be Shazier and the SL Slugs and some high rates WR's though. And Arizona could grab Shazier and ruin my day. Part of my intrigue with Shazier...who I hate deep down....is I'm sick of being San Francisco's bitch for four times straight. AND if you want to call a spade a spade.....they are in a better position draft wise to improve their team as they are loaded with picks.

If we're sitting there with the Slugs, Ward, and WR's I'm more than fine with TT taking the Best WR (Cooks/Beckam).....reaching for Ward a bit...but in reality...I'd be trying like hell to trade down.

At worst....try to get Cleveland to trade up to 21 (so nobody jumps them for a QB) and take as little as a 4th round pick to do so. You might be able to use their 4th on a guy like Ed Reynolds or Jared Abrederis.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Interesting list with two Packer entries. Also worrisome because a lot of these guys turned into pudding as pros.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Interesting list with two Packer entries. Also worrisome because a lot of these guys turned into pudding as pros.
    Looks like 3 Packers, Datone Jones, Nick Perry, and Jeremy Thompson.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Ruh roh. Jeremy Thompson - he turned not into a pudding but a pud.

Let's hope Nick Perry and Datone Jones don't follow suit, and maybe get closer to Aldon Smith (playwise) and Mario Williams than to Aaron Maybin and Vernon Gholston.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Uncanny how close Thompson and Perry are.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shush, you.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Thompson retired due to injury and also had to deal with a position change even before that. Gholston and, to a lesser extent, Maybin are more damning. Maybin is a cautionary tale wrt to Shazier if anything.

this big board is interesting

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nf...3927--nfl.html

they have bridgewater as the #1 guy in the draft, even though others have dropped him out of the 1st round

they have pryor as the top safety and #16 overall

but then they have jimmie ward as the #2 safety, #20 overall. they do have him listed as running a 4.59 40 even though he didn't run it at the combine and ran a 4.47 at his proday

and finally, clinton-dix as the #3 safety at #22 overall

The difference between the pro time and the combine time is only relevant for linemen. If he's been clocked at 4.47, he runs 4.47

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    this big board is interesting

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nf...3927--nfl.html

they have bridgewater as the #1 guy in the draft, even though others have dropped him out of the 1st round

they have pryor as the top safety and #16 overall

but then they have jimmie ward as the #2 safety, #20 overall. they do have him listed as running a 4.59 40 even though he didn't run it at the combine and ran a 4.47 at his proday

and finally, clinton-dix as the #3 safety at #22 overall
    You kind of have to think the person who made up this board is just trying to stand out - dropping Clowney out of the top spot in favour of Bridgewater, but also having Manziel all the way down at #27 -- I don't think I've seen him lower than 5 (certainly not 10) anywhere else.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    You kind of have to think the person who made up this board is just trying to stand out - dropping Clowney out of the top spot in favour of Bridgewater, but also having Manziel all the way down at #27 -- I don't think I've seen him lower than 5 (certainly not 10) anywhere else.
    SI's online Draft Board also has Bridgewater at #1. Some people think the anti-Bridgewater is mostly spin, helped by a bad pro day.

CBS Mock Drafts have both top ranked safeties off the board by pick #21 in each of five mocks. 2 of them have Ward drafted by then. All Packer picks are linebackers (Shazier and Mosley).

CBS Mock Drafts have both top ranked safeties off the board by pick #21 in each of five mocks. 2 of them have Ward drafted by then. All Packer picks are linebackers (Shazier and Mosley).
    yeah i saw those. kirwin has 3 safeties off the board when we pick. thats what i fear, a run on safeties. that means teams in need will pull the trigger quick in the second round too, leaving us without the top 3, or the rest of the decent prospects by the time our 2nd round pick comes around

yeah i saw those. kirwin has 3 safeties off the board when we pick. thats what i fear, a run on safeties. that means teams in need will pull the trigger quick in the second round too, leaving us without the top 3, or the rest of the decent prospects by the time our 2nd round pick comes around
    I have a hard time believing that though. Safety is usually one of the afterthought positions. Could happen, but hasn't happened a lot in the past, especially considering that one of them has a second round grade on a lot of boards (Ward-often, Prior-a couple, Dix-one).

the thinking is, that the thinking is changing after what the seahawks were able to do with 2 very good safeties last season

if your safeties are able to do anything (ours were not) then that allows that extra second or two for your pass rush to look all world

I have a hard time believing that though. Safety is usually one of the afterthought positions. Could happen, but hasn't happened a lot in the past, especially considering that one of them has a second round grade on a lot of boards (Ward-often, Prior-a couple, Dix-one).
    Safety doesn't seem to be a position at which a lot of emphasis is placed to draft early, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change with the league becoming ever more pass centric. Having said that, over the past 4 years, there have been 3, 2, 0 and 2 safeties drafted in the first round.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

this is interesting. derrick carr says that he's been told by 4 or 5 teams that they would like to take him in the 20's. PFT thinks that those 4 or 5 teams are teams with high second round picks that would want to move back up into the 20's to take him

could be just the kind of high demand that the folks in the "trade back" camp are looking for. if 4 or 5 teams are in the hunt, then you should be able to rape the hell out of some other team for #21

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

my top three hopes for our 1st rd pick...

1- safety or linebacker
    2-linebacker or safety
    3-te

it better be 1 or 2!

this is interesting. derrick carr says that he's been told by 4 or 5 teams that they would like to take him in the 20's. PFT thinks that those 4 or 5 teams are teams with high second round picks that would want to move back up into the 20's to take him

could be just the kind of high demand that the folks in the "trade back" camp are looking for. if 4 or 5 teams are in the hunt, then you should be able to rape the hell out of some other team for #21

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/
    Article today in the JSO in which some unnamed scout or personnel guy for some team goes through the Packers' roster to assess need.

I was okay with this "expert" opinion, though nothing seemed too especially insightful, until I got to this statement on the state of the center position:

""They got a guy (JC Tretter) they drafted last year in the fourth round. They don't have a need. At some point he has to (play). He's a fourth-round pick! What the hell did they pick him for? He must be hell on wheels to pick a center that high. C'mon."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...#ixzz30qw2l0VM
    Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

If I recall correctly, and I believe I do, Tretter was a tackle.

The Packerrats - even the ones with whom I vehemently disagree - know more than this so-called expert. At least about the Packer's roster.

KYPack

Okay, my last two cent before the draft:

Think HHCD and Prior are gone. Leaning towards Ward. Not sold on the ILBs. Hoping someone formerly expected to be gone drops (Barr, whomever). I'd be okay with a WR, but I almost think that'd be wasted value unless someone slips through the draft. Can't think of anyone else on whom I have an opinion.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.