Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Draftek is ridiculous. Our last three WRs picked in the first round?

JAMES LOFTON
    STERLING SHARPE
    JAVON WALKER

Pretty fucking awesome players. None drafted by Thompson.

Speaking of which, Lofton was the most recent Packer first rounder (1978) to be inducted in the HoF. The most recent first rounder to get in was Johnathan Ogden (1996).

That's nearly twenty years without a first-rounder panning out into a HoF. :C
    Holy moly. Talk about an argument for trading out of the first round.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

There are 96 underclassmen in this draft. The most ever, making this a deep draft. This would be the kind of draft where you would want to trade down if you can find a buyer.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    OR:

Legitimately or fairly questioning a GM and his Scout-Draft Team's "competence" in actually spoting and securing legitimate Round 1 talent.

ie Ted Thompson and his team is having some difficulty or is that simply relegated to bad luck?

First order of the day for TT and Company in this draft. Draft tough MEN.

Try on the "Nice Guy's Finish Last" motto for a couple of years.

I don't mean bring in border line psycho's and morally corrupt "no brain" dirt bag's. That extreme is fraught with obvious impending disaster.

I mean:

Select with a PRIMARY FOCUS ONLY PROSPECTS that have demonstrated "Farvesque Toughness"; and the focus of what it takes to dress for football games week in and week out.

We need more Eddie Lacy's.

We need more David Bakhtiari's.

GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-19-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The most recent first rounder to get in was Johnathan Ogden (1996).

Is that really significant? To be a HOF'er, a guy has to pretty much play at least 10 years, most play longer, then wait five years after retirement before being elected to the Hall. Not too many guys make it in until 15 years or more after they were drafted. Are there even very many who started after 1996 that are in the Hall already, regardless of their draft status? (I don't know and am too lazy to look this morning.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

Our last few first round draft picks appear to the the argument for trading out
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Our last few first round draft picks appear to the the argument for trading out
    Packers 1st and 2nd round picks since 2010:

1st round:

Brian Bulaga
    Derek Sherrod
    Nick Perry
    Datone Jones

2nd Round:

Mike Neal
    Randall Cobb
    Jerel Worthy
    Casey Hayward
    Eddie Lacy

2 things stand out. One is that they've gotten more from their 2nd round picks than 1st round picks. The other is the incredible number of games missed by these players. Bulaga, Sherrod, Perry, Neal, Cobb, Worthy and Hayward haveall either missed entire seasons, or majority of a season.

JAMES LOFTON
    STERLING SHARPE
    JAVON WALKER

Speaking of which, Lofton was the most recent Packer first rounder (1978) to be inducted in the HoF. The most recent first rounder to get in was Johnathan Ogden (1996).

well its gonna be 27 years, thes the time in between when we drafted lofton and then a-rod, who is the first real candidate we've had since 78

the more shocking thing to be is the lacl of pro bowlers out of those picks. we've had 28 first round picks between 1978 ans 2005 (not counting those years)

5 pro bowlers

bruce clark (and he never played for us cause we sucked so bad, nice waste of the #4 pick)
    brent fullwood
    sterling sharpe
    bubba franks
    javon walker

thats not all that impressive of a list either

only one of them (sharpe) is even in the packer HOF

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    well its gonna be 27 years, thes the time in between when we drafted lofton and then a-rod, who is the first real candidate we've had since 78

the more shocking thing to be is the lacl of pro bowlers out of those picks. we've had 28 first round picks between 1978 ans 2005 (not counting those years)

5 pro bowlers

bruce clark (and he never played for us cause we sucked so bad, nice waste of the #4 pick)
    brent fullwood
    sterling sharpe
    bubba franks
    javon walker

thats not all that impressive of a list either

only one of them (sharpe) is even in the packer HOF
    Yea...so continuing to fail there can be passed off as ...so ... and ... so what's your point...what's new!?

Does such ever suck.

We Green Bay Packer fans (certainly us here); offer so much to psyche up for the DRAFT.

Many Rats really give errrr and really ........... what're we hoping for ?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

JAMES LOFTON
    STERLING SHARPE
    JAVON WALKER

Favre was obtained for a first round pick.

Rodgers could be headed there as well. 20 years of terrible (72-92) kinda puts a gap in the pipeline.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Favre was obtained for a first round pick.

Rodgers could be headed there as well. 20 years of terrible (72-92) kinda puts a gap in the pipeline.
    Those sensational Packer leaders don't count as their obvious.

Bart Starr is like Zeus ( King of the Gods and Ruler of Mount Olympus)

Favre is like Ares (The GOD of War)

Rodgers is like Apollo (The GOD of Light, Knowledge, and Healing...and do we ever need him to deliver on that right now.)

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Those sensational Packer leaders don't count as their obvious.

Bart Starr is like Zeus ( King of the Gods and Ruler of Mount Olympus)

Favre is like Ares (The GOD of War)

Rodgers is like Apollo (The GOD of Light, Knowledge, and Healing...and do we ever need him to deliver on that right now.)
    Matt Flynn is like the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Sharpe is a borderline HoFer, but I sort of doubt he'll ever sneak in. He most likely would have been in if not for the neck issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    There are 96 underclassmen in this draft. The most ever, making this a deep draft. This would be the kind of draft where you would want to trade down if you can find a buyer.
    I think TT is in a sweet spot in the draft, I'd be pissed if he traded down. There should be 4 QB's and 4 OT's taken ahead of the Pack, this should cause some stud players to slip, like Mosley, Nix, HaHa, Pryor, Ebron, Lee, Hageman, Evans, and others. I hope he stays put.
    Thanks Ted!

Quote Originally Posted by packrulz View Post
    I think TT is in a sweet spot in the draft, I'd be pissed if he traded down. There should be 4 QB's and 4 OT's taken ahead of the Pack, this should cause some stud players to slip, like Mosley, Nix, HaHa, Pryor, Ebron, Lee, Hageman, Evans, and others. I hope he stays put.
    But wouldn't this be the argument for trading down? If he can trade down and still get one of those guys, why wouldn't he? I'm not talking about trading down 20 spots. But if he could trade down 8-10 spots to pick up a 3rd and still get one of those guys, I think that would be a good move.

Depends on the evaluations and the teams between, of course. If you say you've got 8 guys you're seriously considering and two of them are gone by the time you pick, if you trade back 8 spots, they could all conceivably be off the board by the time you pick again. If they're really the 6 best players, they probably would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    But wouldn't this be the argument for trading down? If he can trade down and still get one of those guys, why wouldn't he? I'm not talking about trading down 20 spots. But if he could trade down 8-10 spots to pick up a 3rd and still get one of those guys, I think that would be a good move.
    I'd be ok with TT trading down a few spots to pick up an extra pick. They have 17 FA's and aren't going to keep all of them, and you know TT isn't going hog-wild in the FA market.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'd be ok with TT trading down a few spots to pick up an extra pick. They have 17 FA's and aren't going to keep all of them, and you know TT isn't going hog-wild in the FA market.
    I'd be okay with trading down as well, as long as it picks up an additional second round pick with maybe a fourth as well.

But, this is a draft where they can stand pat and fill any number of holes as well.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
    Somewhere around 35 of the 98 underclassmen entered in this draft won't get drafted, scout says.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Sharpe is a borderline HoFer, but I sort of doubt he'll ever sneak in. He most likely would have been in if not for the neck issue.
    Sterling Sharpe is now filed in "the Forgotten Drawer".

That man was very possibly headed for the very top of all NFL receivers.

The memory of losing him. That exact moment of realizing the seriousness of that down as a Green Bay Packer; the impending result that loss would mean for the Packers:

A sickening memory for me and as well I expect for many members here that experienced that.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
    Somewhere around 35 of the 98 underclassmen entered in this draft won't get drafted, scout says.
    That's your crop of rookie FAs that TT will pore over for the next Shields, etc. etc. Raw underclassman, confidence in your coaching; take risk on measurables and see what develops. Then let go four years later in FA and get 3rd round pick!
    Last edited by mraynrand; 01-20-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: pour grammar!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck