Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...yer-fell-apart

The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

By Mike Freeman (NFL National Lead Writer) on November 20, 2013

" The team had decided yes. The player had decided the same. It was set. It was going to happen. An NFL player was going to publicly say he was gay and then play in the NFL.

What happened before that moment showed how parts of the NFL are progressive and ready for change. Then, ** what happened next showed how the sport is still in some ways fearful of it. . . .

Estimates of how many gay players are in the NFL range widely, but some of them, from people intimately familiar with the league, are far higher than might be assumed by the outside public.

Players and team executives give totals ranging from several dozen to several hundred. (There are about 2,000 players in the league.) One former general manager said he believes the number of gay players is 30-40.

** That period was, as one gay-rights advocate described it, "the spring of optimism for the NFL and gay rights." There was a feeling that the NFL was on the verge of crossing this significant barrier. There was great excitement. It was going to happen.

Until it didn't.

The question now is: What happened? "

Please click on the LINK above for this story.

PACKERS !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Polka Rat Starter
    So hoop dee do. If a player can play NFL caliber football, he's on the team, no problem. What he does in his private life is his business. I'm sick and tired of all the PC jackasses looking to cause a disruption to promote their agenda. It's football. I don't want to have social issues injected into my entertainment.

If no one in the NFL cares, then it's a non-issue isn't it? The problem is the activists pushing the agenda. We could go the next 100 years and not have to know who sleeps with whom. Like Dennis Miller said, I need a gay free day. It's all too much.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    So hoop dee do. If a player can play NFL caliber football, he's on the team, no problem. What he does in his private life is his business. I'm sick and tired of all the PC jackasses looking to cause a disruption to promote their agenda. It's football. I don't want to have social issues injected into my entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
    If no one in the NFL cares, then it's a non-issue isn't it? The problem is the activists pushing the agenda. We could go the next 100 years and not have to know who sleeps with whom. Like Dennis Miller said, I need a gay free day. It's all too much.
    Unfortunately, all the evidence is on the other side. Clearly the NFL member teams care, because no current player is out and no team signed either player in the article. If NFL teams can convince themselves they don't want Tebow because of distractions, this would easily fit in the same rationale, regardless of actual motive.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/teams-...cause-hes-gay/

NFL

So, This Article VERY Strongly Suggests That Kerry Rhodes Is Gay, And That’s Why Teams Aren’t Signing Him

by Matt Rudnitsky | 5:48 pm, November 20th, 2013

Comment
    woodbuck27:

What do you think of this article?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Unfortunately, all the evidence is on the other side. Clearly the NFL member teams care, because no current player is out and no team signed either player in the article. If NFL teams can convince themselves they don't want Tebow because of distractions, this would easily fit in the same rationale, regardless of actual motive.
    You got so much right there it's hard to follow up.

I'll just comment on the Bleacher Report title - 'inside story'? lol I guess this is what passes for journalism at that sight (for sore eyes). They didn't talk to the player or even know who he is, didn't talk to the team(s) that walked away and don't know who they are, and have a list of 5 possible reasons but they have no actual idea which, if any, of those is the right one. Officials from other teams told BR why the signing didn't happen - then they talked about Jackie Robinson and Jason Collins - now that's hard hitting journalism!

I know Woody, you read BR and this article did touch on a good subject, one I was wondering about after the reports this spring. But damn they drive me nuts!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

http://sandrarose.com/2013/11/gay-nf...e-to-bullying/

Gay NFL Player Leaves Miami Dolphins Due to Bullying

Friday, November 1, 2013

" While the team avoided questions about the abusive relationship between Martin and some of his teammates, other team sources reveal Martin left because he is gay and his teammates don’t like him.

If Martin really is gay, the behavior of his teammates is an indicator of the NFL’s intolerance of gay players in the locker room."

Comment woodbuck27:

Is there any reality here and the HOT story now in the NFL and OT Johnathan Martin Vs whomever/whatever? Is this really about his sexual choice?

In this day and age I can hardly believe it if that's the case.

Well sure they can convince themselves of it, just like they convince themselves of reasons to not have players who are overly vocal about politics or many other things. They have 60+ players to bring into harmony under difficult, pressure filled conditions, within relatively confined areas. Unless a player is uniquely talented, why take the player with a lot of extra baggage?

They need a player who is a solid player and says; "By the way, I'm gay." and then goes about his business as a football player. It will be next to impossible to break the ice with a guy who says, "I'M GAY!! and , oh, by the way, I play football."

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Well sure they can convince themselves of it, just like they convince themselves of reasons to not have players who are overly vocal about politics or many other things. They have 60+ players to bring into harmony under difficult, pressure filled conditions, within relatively confined areas. Unless a player is uniquely talented, why take the player with a lot of extra baggage?

They need a player who is a solid player and says; "By the way, I'm gay." and then goes about his business as a football player. It will be next to impossible to break the ice with a guy who says, "I'M GAY!! and , oh, by the way, I play football."
    You'd think Kerry Rhodes fits the conditions for the first case. He played well last year, yet sits unemployed. He's be a solid upgrade for the Pack, and considering he had no job a couple of weeks into the season should've been cheap. He's 31 but played well last year.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    You got so much right there it's hard to follow up.

I'll just comment on the Bleacher Report title - 'inside story'? lol I guess this is what passes for journalism at that sight (for sore eyes). They didn't talk to the player or even know who he is, didn't talk to the team(s) that walked away and don't know who they are, and have a list of 5 possible reasons but they have no actual idea which, if any, of those is the right one. Officials from other teams told BR why the signing didn't happen - then they talked about Jackie Robinson and Jason Collins - now that's hard hitting journalism!

I know Woody, you read BR and this article did touch on a good subject, one I was wondering about after the reports this spring. But damn they drive me nuts!
    Here's some dope on the author of the article this thread Guiness or Mike Freeman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Freeman_(columnist)

I don't 'just read' BR Guiness. I read a lot of shit on NFL football.

I posted this thread because I somehow stumbled on the Article RE: this thread and felt it would inform the forum on a HOT topic. A topic that by far shouldn't be HOT in this day and age. Is there anything and this issue related to the Miami Dolphins and the very HOT case of the Dolphins draft pick OT Johnathan Martin?

Good Lord.

Is football that manly!? The advertizers of NFL apparel are busting their ass's and blowing my mind with their silly commercials to peddle their womans line of NFL apparel. I'm wondering ... Does that include small panties? Am I even allowed to wonder that?

I'm so sick of that latest commercial....that runs over and over and over again.

Ohh Dear !

" Uptight !? .... Everything is all right."

That line from a song is playing in my head right now. Phil Collins is singing it.

For anyone who considers themselves homophobic. May I recommend the excellent HBO drama series of five seasons entitled 'SIX FEET UNDER'. Watching that series did wonders to assist me in dealing with my homophobia. Reference Michael C. Hall's character GAY Funeral Dierector David Fisher, the middle child in that Fisher family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Feet_Under_(TV_series)

Yea the same Michael C. Hall that plays DEXTER ... Our beloved serial killer.

Michael C. Hall ROCKS as an actor.

Well, this is almost a self enclosed lockout. The best players, the ones the teams would HAVE to accept or would be crazy to not sign as FA, have too much outside income to risk coming out first. You could never say it won't happen, but I think the incentives are strong to stay hidden.

So almost inevitably, the first out player will be more pedestrian, like Jason Collins was in basketball. Veterans with less to risk but very willing to continue their careers if possible. That player, by definition, is fungible. And can be replaced by a number of non-out or straight alternatives every year. A team has to want to do this because unlike the color barrier, there is no long term advantage accrued for going first.

Given the strong current (and successful) incentive to stay closeted, I am not sure how a team can judge accurately how the player might react to the inevitable publicity. A player choosing to do this is obviously thinking about more than football. But that is true of any barrier that is broken. Its also true of every player in the League who worries about their next contract. Teams do relinquish rights to these players to avoid distractions, but they also take the risk to sign them.

Employing closeted homosexual players and avoiding open ones is just dishonest and cowardly.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I really want things like this to just not matter. I'm not in favor of or opposed to gay players, I just don't care. I feel a bit sorry for the actual gay players who have not come out for their own reasons when there is an implied under current that they aren't brave enough. Making it a big deal will make it harder for it to happen.
    Why do we care about this crap?

Well, this is almost a self enclosed lockout. The best players, the ones the teams would HAVE to accept or would be crazy to not sign as FA, have too much outside income to risk coming out first. You could never say it won't happen, but I think the incentives are strong to stay hidden.

So almost inevitably, the first out player will be more pedestrian, like Jason Collins was in basketball. Veterans with less to risk but very willing to continue their careers if possible. That player, by definition, is fungible. And can be replaced by a number of non-out or straight alternatives every year. A team has to want to do this because unlike the color barrier, there is no long term advantage accrued for going first.

Given the strong current (and successful) incentive to stay closeted, I am not sure how a team can judge accurately how the player might react to the inevitable publicity. A player choosing to do this is obviously thinking about more than football. But that is true of any barrier that is broken. Its also true of every player in the League who worries about their next contract. Teams do relinquish rights to these players to avoid distractions, but they also take the risk to sign them.

Employing closeted homosexual players and avoiding open ones is just dishonest and cowardly.
    I disagree with your premise. There is a large class of players who fall between the "best players, the ones the teams would HAVE to accept or would be crazy to not sign as FA" and those who are totally fungible".

The error they are making is waiting until they are FAs to come out. A starter who recently signed a moderate extension should be the first to do it, and without great fanfare. Teams are full of those kinds of players, and I suspect some are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    I really want things like this to just not matter. I'm not in favor of or opposed to gay players, I just don't care. I feel a bit sorry for the actual gay players who have not come out for their own reasons when there is an implied under current that they aren't brave enough. Making it a big deal will make it harder for it to happen.
    Why do we care about this crap?
    I agree with you Upnorth.

I care about this as much as I do in terms of having to use a public washroom. There's no sense in being annoid or paranoid over a fact of life that's been around since all of history. I'm no expert on this subject but simply suspect that's the case. A certain % of the population is statistically homosexual. A small portion of that group will enjoy playing football; and of that group an even fewer will have the talent to make an NFL roster.

This isn't and shouldn't be a big deal.

If I'm picking my roster and select a GAY to that roster. I did so to strengthen my roster over picking some inferior straight prospect. The whole roster simply needs to accept and buy into that.

Anyone or any group that cannot accept that is clearly wrong and acting with discrimination.

Secondly... and I'll focus this comment on anyone that's homophobic.

Today this issue of a persons sexuality shouldn't be an issue or a distraction in any football locker room. Anyone that must go that coarse has to grow up and get over himself. One educates two and two four. It should begin now and in a decade that issue will be laughed at.

Ed..........woodbuck27
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 11-23-2013 at 12:41 PM.

I disagree with your premise. There is a large class of players who fall between the "best players, the ones the teams would HAVE to accept or would be crazy to not sign as FA" and those who are totally fungible".

The error they are making is waiting until they are FAs to come out. A starter who recently signed a moderate extension should be the first to do it, and without great fanfare. Teams are full of those kinds of players, and I suspect some are gay.
    If it's a starter signed to a moderate extension we are a likely place to be. If it's a recentl signed FA the first won't be in GB

Woody that is a pretty modern opinion for such an old fart!

If it's a starter signed to a moderate extension we are a likely place to be. If it's a recentl signed FA the first won't be in GB

Woody that is a pretty modern opinion for such an old fart!
    Then in your opinion the Packers wouldn't go after S Kerry Rhodes (who's not seemingly admitting to being GAY) or any GAY that might wish to come out of the closet.

IMO the packers won't go for almost any FA. However an openly gay FA may go cheaper so on second thought maybe we are in the running.

IMO the packers won't go for almost any FA. However an openly gay FA may go cheaper so on second thought maybe we are in the running.
    I wish we had him and in proper condition and ready to go this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    +1 Don't really give a shit one way or the other what anyone does in their private life. Just tired of everyone making it an issue and having it shoved in my face 24/7. Does every player need to have a, "coming out" press conference so that they can declare their sexual preference regardless of what it is. Maybe all the future draft picks should have a stat line next to their 40 times, height, weight, etc., that lists their sexual orientation. Different designations for homo, hetero, bi, polygamist, sheep f'rs, etc.. Just STFU about it already.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    +1 Don't really give a shit one way or the other what anyone does in their private life. Just tired of everyone making it an issue and having it shoved in my face 24/7. Does every player need to have a, "coming out" press conference so that they can declare their sexual preference regardless of what it is. Maybe all the future draft picks should have a stat line next to their 40 times, height, weight, etc., that lists their sexual orientation. Different designations for homo, hetero, bi, polygamist, sheep f'rs, etc.. Just STFU about it already.
    That is my general feeling as well, but there's a problem here - 2000 players in the NFL, and not one admitting to being gay, so obviously people associated with the NFL DO give a shit or it just would've happened. It is being prevented, the STFU doesn't work..."don't ask, don't tell" was a GD disaster.
    --