Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    I'm not buying that these days. It might be true that people who identify as Christian may still skew slightly conservative, and certainly certain segments are firmly conservative due to their religious beliefs, but I don't think "Christians" are the conservative well they used to be. I would expect a pretty even political smattering across the Christian spectrum if I wasn't too lazy to look it up. Especially if you count black people, which apparently we have been forced to do by our Federal slave masters. Ishmeal also seems to forget that there are many a "devout" Catholic democrat as well, but then again, that's kind of exactly the problem with ignorant stereotyping I guess.
    Baptist blacks are highly conservative. Still, they all voted for Obama, because after careful dissection of all the issues, they felt Obama most accurately reflected their core values. Half of Catholics voted for Obama. That's because they feel that abortion - though opposed by the church - is a woman's right that the State should not take away, and that contraceptives are a right that the State should provide. Wait, was I talking about conservative Catholics? I'm confused.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    But I suppose that doesn't fit his narraative that he has been spoon fed that it's all the idiots in the suburbs driving their Chevrolets to church every Sunday morning hating gay people.
    I thought it was Dodge RAM trucks and Ford F150s in non-Austin Texas.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Nice Deliverance reference, Woodbuck.
    That movie was something else with a 94% Rating.

I liked the scenery and the white water canoeing. I've done a lot of that back in the day (s). Some of those trips into the remote back woods with a bunch of outdoor freaks and wildlife junkies. some wonderful fun filled and exciting times. That movie placed a new meaning on stay away from the fricken locals if you can help it.

I saw JAWS again for the maybe 10th time just recently. I just checked to see how it compares to Deliverence in terms of a rating.

JAWS gets a whopping 98% Rating. WOW!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

You know, it just occurred to me yesterday that I was married by a gay minister. He often smelled like stale bread, but otherwise was a swell chap.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

So gay-outters, when can the world change now there is an openly gay football player being paraded in front of world by CNN, ESPN, the first "lady" and every left wing rag in the nation? Do we have to wait until he's drafted, or until he secures a roster spot (if he doesn't, I can only imagine the reasons that will be foisted upon us from some political corners), or is it like Obamacare, where we have to wait for something considered positive to happen to find out, like 2017? Just wondering when this long dreamed of goal starts affecting all the change you think has to happen to our obviously gay hating society.

Also, I haven't noticed the massive "religious right wing" outcry. Did I miss something?

So gay-outters, when can the world change now there is an openly gay football player being paraded in front of world by CNN, ESPN, the first "lady" and every left wing rag in the nation? Do we have to wait until he's drafted, or until he secures a roster spot (if he doesn't, I can only imagine the reasons that will be foisted upon us from some political corners), or is it like Obamacare, where we have to wait for something considered positive to happen to find out, like 2017? Just wondering when this long dreamed of goal starts affecting all the change you think has to happen to our obviously gay hating society.

Also, I haven't noticed the massive "religious right wing" outcry. Did I miss something?
    Personally, I'm collecting those small New Testaments given out by the Gideons as ammo. Then in "flash mob" fashion we Christians will launch our own version of the "Knockout" game on every L and G and T we see. We need to discuss among ourselves whether the B should also be targeted as well. They have the idea half correct given that they sin in the normal way by lusting over the opposite sex. I say, if you are going to sin then at least do it the "right" way. There is still hope for them.

So we should start with the LGT first and see if the QQUIA get the message. Hopefully, our movement will spread and the country will return to its homophobic roots and peace will reign in the land once again.

He was rated as a 3rd to 5th round pick at best. We'll see how he plays out at the combine and by whoever drafts Sam. If the Packers pick him, I'll cheer for his playing ability, but that's all.

I am sick and tired of the constant harping about this by ESPN, CNN and Michelle Obama. This guy ain't Rosa Parks or Jackie Robinson, for God's sake. Also, I'm pretty sickened by the comments I've read in ESPN's comments section of people criticizing Sam's father for having a tough time dealing with this. If one of my kids came out, especially after the upbringing I've tried to instill, then I'd be pretty disheartened also. (especially when he didn't have the guts to say to his dad's face, he had to text him instead) It'd hit me hard because of my personal religious beliefs on the matter. It is my job as a father to point out to my kid what our faith states on the matter. Then it is up to them. God gives us all free will. Accept or reject, there are consequences with both. They can live their life in their own way, but they have to live with what they choose. I still won't love them any more or less because of it since I'll do anything / anytime for my kids. Any parent worth their salt would unconditionally love their children.

That being said, I still find it hypocritical how so many on the left portray the dad as a bigot. In not accepting homosexuality, he isn't one. But to those that keep screaming for freedom of beliefs and lifestyle, it is the criticism of people who don't accept that lifestyle as hypocritical. Be tolerant of everything, accept the PC ways that are shoved down the throat of Christians every single day. Sorry, Homey don't play that here.

So if people want to label me as a "religious right wing nut job", then go ahead and label away, even though it undercuts your "free speech" mantra. I don't hate anyone who is gay or accepts LGBT stances, because if I did, I'd be undercutting myself also.

</rant>
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Any parent worth their salt would unconditionally love their children.
    I have to disagree. If my kid turned into an serial murderer, etc. etc. I don't really think I'd much love him anymore.

I saw that the NFL network had a 'football life' episode following the career of the Washington TE Jerry Smith, who died of AIDS at 43, and how he lived in the shadows during his time in the NFL. It pretty much answered the questions about Lombardi - Lombardi basically shut down any locker room crap directed at gays; David Maraniss (Lombardi biographer) said that Vince's brother was gay, and that was part of the equation, but I suspect that Vince was generally opposed to any crap like that in his locker room.

The program was obviously sympathetic to the player, and wasn't openly hostile to 'homophobes' but any opposition to gay lifestyle was pretty much presented as a negative. There of course was no presentation of any coherent opposition to his lifestyle, except perhaps in the presentation of the AIDS epidemic, and it was strongly suggested that his absence from the HOF was due to bigotry.

I noticed he got a standing ovation at a basketball game:

Let the oppression end!

Michelle Carmichael" "We are all CoMo Sexuals"

Amazing how vitally, massively important this was to several people on this board (and our entire society apparently), and now that it's becoming a reality right before their eyes, they have nothing to say about it. It's almost like it doesn't matter. Hmmmmmmmmm....

In related news...

A San Diego State running back left the NFL Combine on Sunday in Indianapolis without running the forty, showing off his vertical leap, or pushing 225 pounds above his chest. His reason? God told him to depart.

"(God) told me to sit down, be quiet, and enjoy the peace," Adam Muema told the San Diego Union-Tribune. The prosepct believes that God speaks to him through numbers, and that exiting the combine would make it likely that the Seattle Seahawks, his "dream" desitination, would select him in the draft. "Can't go wrong with God," Muema reasoned.

Before divine intervention, analysts projected Muema as a late-round pick. He rushed for almost five yards a carry for the Aztecs, scoring fifteen touchdowns and accumulating 1,244 yards on the ground.
    You know I have to wonder... This guy is being labeled a whack-a-doo for believing in and adhering to his personal relationship with God. I have to wonder, but not too hard, what the reaction would be if he were skipping the combine to protest the obviously overt and intentional anti-gayness that dominates the NFL... according to some anyway.

You know I have to wonder... This guy is being labeled a whack-a-doo for believing in and adhering to his personal relationship with God. I have to wonder, but not too hard, what the reaction would be if he were skipping the combine to protest the obviously overt and intentional anti-gayness that dominates the NFL... according to some anyway.
    You've already seen the answer. Derision for the former, a standing ovation for the latter.

3/4 young people support gay marriage. 3/4 think religion is hateful and bigoted. The future is set.

Arizona passes a law to protect religious rights (and gay rights actually) in the face of suits against people who choose not to engage in practices with which they disagree, and the NFL (as well as many other groups) threaten boycott. McBain and Flakey oppose the law too. I suspect they haven't read it, don't understand it, but are bowing to economic terrorism. If you really care for an in depth analysis (not likely in this culture), here you go:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/is...t-gays-115093/

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Arizona passes a law to protect religious rights (and gay rights actually) in the face of suits against people who choose not to engage in practices with which they disagree, and the NFL (as well as many other groups) threaten boycott. McBain and Flakey oppose the law too. I suspect they haven't read it, don't understand it, but are bowing to economic terrorism. If you really care for an in depth analysis (not likely in this culture), here you go:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/is...t-gays-115093/
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Burke was anticipating officials like Attorney General Eric Holder who is calling for state attorneys general to consider not defending amendments in state constitutions that define marriage traditionally. So states' top law enforcement officers are encouraged to ignore their state's constitution that they swore to protect and upheld.

Nice. Welcome to Zimbabwe.

" I haven't noticed the massive "religious right wing" outcry. Did I miss something? " Skinbasket

Shock factor!??

What are you going to do when they come for you?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    " I haven't noticed the massive "religious right wing" outcry. Did I miss something? " Skinbasket

Shock factor!??

What are you going to do when they come for you?
    Confused by what you're shocked by. Maybe that you were totally wrong? Otherwise, I'm sure you'll present some examples from the "religious right wing," whatever that really means, other than being a convenient political bromide for leftists and progressives who can't defend their own beliefs so turn to labeling and attacking others.

Amazing how vitally, massively important this was to several people on this board (and our entire society apparently), and now that it's becoming a reality right before their eyes, they have nothing to say about it. It's almost like it doesn't matter. Hmmmmmmmmm....

In related news...

Why should it matter.

The fella gets drafted and try's to make the teams roster just the same as any other new NFL prospect.

End of story.

Why should it matter.

The fella gets drafted and try's to make the teams roster just the same as any other new NFL prospect.

End of story.
    Glad to see you've changed your mind.

Glad to see you've changed your mind.
    Actually that's always been my position. I'm Pro Choice and selection of a sexual partner.

If I was ever homophobic living nearby Montreal, Canada certainly acted as a deterrant and that nonsence.

It's never going to be if you can't beat em join em thing ; but certainly it makes zero sence to not accept the GAY lifestyle as it's upfront here to stay.

18.4% — The proportion of all same-sex couples who resided in Montréal in 2006.

21.2% — The proportion of all same-sex couples who resided in Toronto in 2006.

10.3% — The proportion of all same-sex couples who resided in Vancouver in 2006.

Actually that's always been my position.
    Except you want it to "not matter" via everyone agreeing with your position supporting the fallacy known as "gay rights," whereas I want it not to matter because no one cares, which is true equality. You want re-education and the violation of religious freedoms and principles to eliminate what you see as intolerance from your left eye dominant perspective. I simply want apathy, which to a large extent, already exists outside of the gay activist circles.