Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The error they are making is waiting until they are FAs to come out. A starter who recently signed a moderate extension should be the first to do it, and without great fanfare. Teams are full of those kinds of players, and I suspect some are gay.
    There is certainly logic to that approach from a financial aspect in the immediate term. But I doubt the player sees it that way. I think they view coming out as a risk, to both the current and future contracts. To them it would also be a risk with teammates and coaches to drop that after signing. I suspect some teams in the article passed on the entire possibility just to avoid the issue. To have it dropped in their lap after a signing likely will not go over well. Some will see the logic, others will see duplicity.

I think the likeliest candidates will be older and wanting to start afresh, on honest terms, with a new deal (probably what they view as the last deal) so there is no surprise and some announced support from within the organization.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    I really want things like this to just not matter. I'm not in favor of or opposed to gay players, I just don't care. I feel a bit sorry for the actual gay players who have not come out for their own reasons when there is an implied under current that they aren't brave enough. Making it a big deal will make it harder for it to happen.
    Why do we care about this crap?

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Those opposed and those for are the ones that have to make everything such a big fucking deal. I don't care if you're gay, black, white, yellow, straight. I just don't care. I just want to watch football in peace and eat a fucking chicken sandwich without being told I'm against gays cause I'm eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    If it's a starter signed to a moderate extension we are a likely place to be. If it's a recentl signed FA the first won't be in GB

Woody that is a pretty modern opinion for such an old fart!
    " Woody that is a pretty modern opinion for such an old fart! " Upnorth

Upon examination I feel I've been complimented. Thanks Upnorth.

I was referred back to this thread by Patler RE: Did Rodgers flirt with pro sports immortality last summer? thread started - Dec. 31, 2013.

This thread:

It's a rather calm and open and may I use the word 'liberal' discussion of the matter/topic.

GO PACKERS ....GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

when a high profile sports journalist has to wait until she's in her 50s to come out it'll be a long time before a football player does...if he intends to keep playing that is.

What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out. After that happens a few times, people will start giving that "so what" response and then when someone does come out before he's ready to retire, folks will say that the NFL has had gay players for years. "So what?"
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out. After that happens a few times, people will start giving that "so what" response and then when someone does come out before he's ready to retire, folks will say that the NFL has had gay players for years. "So what?"
    You place conditions on this issue based in a timeline!?

Come on MJ... Why are you disappointing me?

How long in your view MJZiggy must we for what has already been won?

You need some help here MJ. Your not getting it.

I'm always here to help.

What needed to happen in terms of your American Constitution:

Is that any gay NFL players shouldn't ever have any problem or issue (with NFL Teams) and with coming out or declaring themselves openly as being sexually Gay.

Why? Because today that shouldn't be an issue. The fact it is defines an American society that needs to be more open minded and intelligent in it's response to 'every person's hard fought Freedom Of Rights'.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    You place conditions on this issue based in a timeline. Come on MJ...you disappoint me. How long in your view must we for what has already been won?

No your not getting it MJ.

Is that any gay NFL players shouldn't ever have any problem or issue (with NFL Teams) and with coming out or declaring themselves openly as being sexually Gay.

Why? Because today that shouldn't be an issue. The fact it is defines an American society that needs to be more open minded and intelligent in it's response to 'every person's hard fought Freedom Of Rights'.
    Notice the use of the past tense, Woodbuck. Today it shouldn't be an issue. Problem is that if your article is to be believed, right or wrong, it still is.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Notice the use of the past tense, Woodbuck. Today it shouldn't be an issue. Problem is that if your article is to be believed, right or wrong, it still is.
    Here is your statement MJZiggy:

" What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out. After that happens a few times, people will start giving that "so what" response and then when someone does come out before he's ready to retire, folks will say that the NFL has had gay players for years. "So what?" .. " MJZiggy

Taking this portion of your statement out of the whole:

" What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out..... "

I made my repost to you and I stand now on my broader and clearly more accurate view than yours.

You'll get it...when? After you retire?

You place conditions on this issue based in a timeline!?

Come on MJ... Why are you disappointing me?

How long in your view MJZiggy must we for what has already been won?

You need some help here MJ. Ygour not getting it.

I'm always here to help.

don't bring nationalism into it. how many openly gay hockey players are there in canada or anywhere else? it's a human prejudice issue, a male team-sports issue...not an american issue.

Here is your statement MJZiggy:

" What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out. After that happens a few times, people will start giving that "so what" response and then when someone does come out before he's ready to retire, folks will say that the NFL has had gay players for years. "So what?" .. " MJZiggy

Taking this portion of your statement out of the whole:

" What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out..... "

I made my repost to you and I stand now on my broader and clearly more accurate view than yours.

You'll get it...when? After you retire?
    Needed. Past tense. Like 10 years ago. If that had happened, there would be no discussion about it now. It would be a non-issue. Quit being so defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    don't bring nationalism into it. how many openly gay hockey players are there in canada or anywhere else? it's a human prejudice issue...not an american issue.
    Canadian hockey players and Aaron Rodgers and NFL players and gay or not.

Make a better attempt et getting focused, member.

As difficult as that may be for you gbgary. At least attempt some clear focus and not some ridiculous diversion to Canada Vs the USA (America) and OUR way Vs YOURS.

Such is to entertain a debate with me where 'YOU' gbgary would be severely tested. You would need a great deal of help to even be marginally close to making some stupid point and that. Hopefully the membership is more as a whole intelligent.

I do NOT bring Nationalism into my post. I refer to your American Constitution. I do so with all respect and if you have an issue with that **FUCK OFF please ! Thank You.

**I never go there with any member here but in your case and your debased way that's clearly appropriate and likely the 'only' thing you might understand. That's generally the 'only' demand your kind understands.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    After skimming this thread, the obvious conclusion is that Tim Tebow is gay.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Needed. Past tense. Like 10 years ago. If that had happened, there would be no discussion about it now. It would be a non-issue. Quit being so defensive.
    I'm never defensive MJ. I need not be.

There's right and wrong and shades in between that need not be discussed in any elaborate sense.

don't bring nationalism into it. how many openly gay hockey players are there in canada or anywhere else? it's a human prejudice issue, a male team-sports issue...not an american issue.
    Not a lot of openly gay players, but the NHL and hockey generally have made a commitment to acceptance of gay players. Read about Brenden Burke, and the work of NHL executives including his father and brother backing the "You Can Play Project". Many top NHL players have gotten behind the project with videos and such.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...143441932.html

There is a strong effort in the NHL and both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada to change the culture on the ice and in the locker rooms to make it accepting of gay players, much of it being the work of the Burkes.

Interesting to contrast that with the inaction of the NFL, even though Paul Tagliabue has a son who has been openly gay since before his father became Commissioner. While Paul Tagliabue has been very active in gay rights after retiring from the NFL, he didn't push the issue while commissioner, as far as I know.

bla bla bla
    you said "...american society needs to..." and I infered it's world-wide male-sports issue not solely an american one. what things should be and what they are are miles apart. we agree things should be different and such things shouldn't matter but sadly that isn't the case. you've gone off the deep end with your personal
    attack but that's up to you. you have a happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Not a lot of openly gay players, but the NHL and hockey generally have made a commitment to acceptance of gay players. Read about Brenden Burke, and the work of NHL executives including his father and brother backing the "You Can Play Project". Many top NHL players have gotten behind the project with videos and such.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...143441932.html

There is a strong effort in the NHL and both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada to change the culture on the ice and in the locker rooms to make it accepting of gay players, much of it being the work of the Burkes.

Interesting to contrast that with the inaction of the NFL, even though Paul Tagliabue has a son who has been openly gay since before his father became Commissioner. While Paul Tagliabue has been very active in gay rights after retiring from the NFL, he didn't push the issue while commissioner, as far as I know.
    I don't track outed athletes but they are very few and far between in male team sports be it football, soccer, cricket, hockey, baseball, rugby, or whatever. any progress these institutions make is commendable and over due. I just don't see much happening for several years as these athletes keep quiet for whatever reason be it fear of personal, financial, or institutional backlash.

you said "...american society needs to..." and I infered it's world-wide male-sports issue not solely an american one. what things should be and what they are are miles apart. we agree things should be different and such things shouldn't matter but sadly that isn't the case. you've gone off the deep end with your personal
    attack but that's up to you. you have a happy new year.
    See this gbgary...SEE POST #35. 'YOU gbgary' forged a post under my name.

Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

Your BS gbgary not mine.

bla bla bla ... Your shit gbgary...

I don't act like such a adolescent gbgary.

Your clearly out of line doing so...'forging a post' and thereby disrespecting yourself.

I exercise a good deal more respect for myself. Are capable of such?

Personal attack..NO mister. You get simply what you clearly ask for.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-01-2014 at 05:03 PM.

I don't track outed athletes but they are very few and far between in male team sports be it football, soccer, cricket, hockey, baseball, rugby, or whatever. any progress these institutions make is commendable and over due. I just don't see much happening for several years as these athletes keep quiet for whatever reason be it fear of personal, financial, or institutional backlash.
    Of course not, because things don't change overnight. However, I believe hockey is quite far ahead of the other major sports in changing their culture. As a result, there is not much surprise in the hockey world when a player does come out. Contrast that with the fanfare in the NBA last year, and the anticipation of a breakthrough yet to come in the NFL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3316/kerry-rhodes

Free agent S Kerry Rhodes had generated little interest from NFL teams since being released by the Cardinals in March. It's been reported that Kerry Rhodes turned down a one-year, $3 million contract offer from the Arizona Cardinals (Sept. 13, 2013). There has been interest in Rhodes; it just isn't mutual. Long a high-quality on-field performer Kerry Rhodes could be helping an NFL football team, but he seems intent on continuing his life away from the gridiron.

Kerry Rhodes worked out for the New York Giants on Tuesday Sept. 17, 2013 and nothing came of that and it's his last known visit to any NFL team.

Why one of the top safeties in all of football in the 2012 season has been out of the game may simply be described as a mystery.

** Kerry Rhodes Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 212 lb (96 kg) :

** All-Pro (2006); NFC Interception Return yards leader (2010)

** Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012 ...Tackles 608; Sacks 13.0 ; Interceptions 23 and Forced fumbles 8

Alert Ted Thompson:

Ted Thompson get this MAN into Green Bay for a try out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Rhodes

His sista's love Kerry. His sista's say: Come Onn Packers !

Come On Ted ! Try Kerry out Ted. Come Onn !

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-02-2014 at 07:05 AM.

What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out.
    Why did they "need" to come out? Can't they just be gay without being an activist about it or telling a world that shouldn't, and for the most part doesn't, care anymore? Who are the people asking these questions? Usually they aren't people trying to intimidate or mock. The people desperately trying to "out" queers are the same who are incessantly pushing the gay agenda that's given this nation fag fatigue.

As others have already mentioned, the fans, the players, and the front offices don't want to hear about it. They want to watch, play, and manage football without having another sociopolitical issue forced on them turning the league into another terrible, soul-destroying season of Glee. People are tired of being told that if you don't actively support every aspect of the gay agenda, from marriage to equality in sports, to floats in parades and naked assholes dancing in the streets reinforcing all the negative stereotypes about them, to fake hate crimes meant to raise "social awareness," you're homophobic or otherwise hate the gays.

So until we start demanding that every player with something minorital about him reveal himself, maybe people should stop demanding that the fags do the same and just leave them the fuck alone to make their own decisions.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial