Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    It's important for gay people to come out of closet, it reduces stigmatization. Obviously people still do care very much about athletes being gay, otherwise more gay athletes would be out of closet.
    " Obviously people still do care very much about athletes being gay..." H H

** Therein lies the rub.

Suddenly.....pausing to think..... !!!

A real experience I share with y'all.

Jheeesh, I did it again, or did I?

Is what I just wrote, **, demonstrative of my heterosexuality. NO...I'm OK there. Mae rubbed my back last night. It's OK to use that word 'rub'. Certainly OK... to use that word as I did.

A classic example of literary paranoia dealt with, and after some thought, easily dismissed.

Why should I ever care? I'm heterosexual so surely all that shouldn't matter to me. That's not my problem and thus why make it my concern?

In a society where marginalization is clearly alive and wielding it's bloody sword in a masterfully masked way?

Masked way... No ! Rather again, as it's always worked with the use of POWER.

' Power', improperly employed.

Why is so much that we might not ordinarily question as proper, 'even' in our writing; suddenly become open for interpretation in terms of it's gayness or gay vernacular !? Why should any time be lost to such thought/examination?

Now please, maybe!? take some time ......

Extend (or take that) to what Gay folk must endure, in the shadows of their daily struggles, to merely live and enjoy every advantage offered to the majority ?

Ohh wait, should I check again !? I must not error. I must be absolutely sure !

Just a wee while please.

Let me go into the attic and consult with my dusty edition of Gay Talk : A Dictionary of Gay Slang (Formerly The 'Queens' Vernacular) by: Bruce Rodgers.

There I did it again....I digressed Harlan Huckleby : I did so as simply an exercise in reality.

It's the manner and undeniable TRUTH in which " people ", " still do care very much " that's in contention.

It's about the NFL and bringing it up with the times.

About the NFL and open acceptance of same sex relationships.

About the NFL fully accepting same sex unions in any form of commitment without any negative repercussions.

It's about the NFL and any denial that it's not already there.

It's about that NFL and denial and obvious support for the openly gay side that's very aware this denial supports only one very clear NFL agenda:

No gay homosexual football players are allowed in NFL team locker rooms.

It's about an NFL that's homophobic and selfish in terms of the needed attention this issue deserves.

Obvious acceptance.

Allow the rest to take care of itself, as it will, in some order of time.

It's about the NFL embracing 'the so deemed distraction' in terms of the better good.

It's about the NFL focusing on the good of the game of football.

It's about the NFL catching up in this regard to where Pro hockey has been arriving/ has arrived and same sex relationship and 'NO' exclusion of such people at any level of participation in the NFL in terms of a career short or otherwise.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-03-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

It's important for gay people to come out of closet, it reduces stigmatization.
    I think this is a quote right out of a 1979 freshman human growth class. Newflash: gays are everywhere! Openly, and ridiculously over-represented in popular culture. No one is crossing the street to avoid them. No one is murdering them. Hell, even harassment claims have more often than not turned out to be hoaxes perpetrated by homos to maintain their victim status in the last few years. What stigma are you referring to? For bonus points, name a stigma or a perceived stereotype that isn't perpetuated by the gay community.

Obviously people still do care very much about athletes being gay, otherwise more gay athletes would be out of closet.
    Who are these "people?" Did you see them on a PBS special? Why do you assume that the natural social state for a homo is that everyone knows they're a homo? Why don't you want fags to have the same expectations to privacy as the rest of us? Why do you hate gays?
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    What stigma are you referring to? For bonus points, name a stigma or a perceived stereotype that isn't perpetuated by the gay community.
    This is what I was referring to with the Duck Dynasty issue. The discussion was not about gay behavior right or wrong but about whether the culture will allow someone who believes gay behavior is wrong to voice that view. If it weren't for the popularity of the show (Read $$$), that cultural right would be completely gone. For all practical purposes, it is gone. Even kids calling each other gay apparently will be shunned and scorned (as indicated above), like kids wielding gun-shaped pop tarts. That's the culture the NFL is operating in - they will collapse in short order and celebrate homosexuality from the mountaintops.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think this is a quote right out of a 1979 freshman human growth class. Newflash: gays are everywhere! Openly, and ridiculously over-represented in popular culture. No one is crossing the street to avoid them. No one is murdering them. Hell, even harassment claims have more often than not turned out to be hoaxes perpetrated by homos to maintain their victim status in the last few years. What stigma are you referring to? For bonus points, name a stigma or a perceived stereotype that isn't perpetuated by the gay community.

Who are these "people?" Did you see them on a PBS special? Why do you assume that the natural social state for a homo is that everyone knows they're a homo? Why don't you want fags to have the same expectations to privacy as the rest of us? Why do you hate gays?
    Is the debate about:

or about:

HANDS OFF !!

or BOTH?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    What needed to happen is that several gay players, as they retired, needed to come out. After that happens a few times, people will start giving that "so what" response and then when someone does come out before he's ready to retire, folks will say that the NFL has had gay players for years. "So what?"
    What is truly sad is the fact that anyone has to 'come out' at all. Frankly, if it doesn't affect his performance on the gridiron it is nobody's damn business what they do in the privacy of their own home. I have several friends and acquaintances who are gay (both men and women). I don't understand the attraction but other than that I have no problem with any of them.

After skimming this thread, the obvious conclusion is that Tim Tebow is gay.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3316/kerry-rhodes

Free agent S Kerry Rhodes had generated little interest from NFL teams since being released by the Cardinals in March. It's been reported that Kerry Rhodes turned down a one-year, $3 million contract offer from the Arizona Cardinals (Sept. 13, 2013). There has been interest in Rhodes; it just isn't mutual. Long a high-quality on-field performer Kerry Rhodes could be helping an NFL football team, but he seems intent on continuing his life away from the gridiron.

Kerry Rhodes worked out for the New York Giants on Tuesday Sept. 17, 2013 and nothing came of that and it's his last known visit to any NFL team.

Why one of the top safeties in all of football in the 2012 season has been out of the game may simply be described as a mystery.

** Kerry Rhodes Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 212 lb (96 kg) :

** All-Pro (2006); NFC Interception Return yards leader (2010)

** Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012 ...Tackles 608; Sacks 13.0 ; Interceptions 23 and Forced fumbles 8

Alert Ted Thompson:

Ted Thompson get this MAN into Green Bay for a try out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Rhodes

His sista's love Kerry. His sista's say: Come Onn Packers !

Come On Ted ! Try Kerry out Ted. Come Onn !

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-02-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Skin, the NFL is the Silver Tuna of gay activism. Acceptance there will go a long, long way towards turning the tide and making tolerant, unaccepting people the pariahs. Society isn't there yet, based on the Duck Dynasty fiasco, but that will not stop the activists - they truly believe they are fighting a civil rights battle every bit as legitimate as racial and women's civil rights.
    Last edited by mraynrand; 01-02-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Skin, the NFL is the Silver Tuna of gay activism. Acceptance there will go a long, long way towards turning the tide and making intolerant people the pariahs. Society isn't there yet, based on the Duck Dynasty fiasco, but that will not stop the activists - they truly believe they are fighting a civil rights battle every bit as legitimate as racial and women's civil rights.
    You mean intolerant people and tolerant people who refuse to actively celebrate other's sexual behavior.

I agree with you, that when you go through the motions of this debate, it boils down to an agenda driven campaign against a certain segment of the population rather than the noble pursuit or equality, love, and tolerance for a certain segment of the population. Otherwise a gay NFL player has no more value than a gay fishmonger.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

You mean intolerant people and tolerant people who refuse to actively celebrate other's sexual behavior.

I agree with you, that when you go through the motions of this debate, it boils down to an agenda driven campaign against a certain segment of the population rather than the noble pursuit or equality, love, and tolerance for a certain segment of the population. Otherwise a gay NFL player has no more value than a gay fishmonger.
    I edited my post to tolerant, un-accepting. But in response to your post, it's BOTH - the activists are against those who think gay behavior is wrong, regardless of tolerance and of course, they are also for the gay person. If millions watched the gay fishmonger on Sundays, and the fishmonger's co-workers were generally unaccepting of his fishmonger gayness, they would target the National Fishmonger League.

Skin, the NFL is the Silver Tuna of gay activism. Acceptance there will go a long, long way towards turning the tide and making intolerant people the pariahs. Society isn't there yet, based on the Duck Dynasty fiasco, but that will not stop the activists - they truly believe they are fighting a civil rights battle every bit as legitimate as racial and women's civil rights.
    Based on a POLL I observed that basically deems that Aaron Rodgers is a lier (as a possible translation) and 'in TRUTH' Gay; that inspite of his TRUTH, that he's "not gay and really really likes women". That's such nonsense. Aaron Rodgers says he's not Gay or whatever has no bearing on any TRUTH.

That 50% of a certain population of POLL respondents deem that Aaron Rodgers is GAY as a contradiction of his statement is alarming to me. Thus I deem it invalid/absurd.

Where to go then:

It comes down to every effort towords making a person's sexual choice a passé...non issue. Too large a proportion of society are simply ignorant in terms of focusing on this as an issue worthy of any real discussion.

People have every right to believe whatever that will as long as no segment of society is denied it's basic rights.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-02-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I feel you bang on there.
    excuse me?

excuse me?
    I removed that sentence out of respect for the discussion.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    This just in there are straight people in the NFL, nobody talks about that! I'm sick of the gay agenda, you want tolive the gay lifestyle or are born to it rock on but I don't give a shit who you are banging as long as it is a consenting adult.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    This just in there are straight people in the NFL, nobody talks about that!
    No one talks about who Jay Cutler was dating, got married to? No one talks about Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson or whomever he eventually got married to?

No one ever talks about Rothliesberger's escapades and well-timed marriage? Is there no chance you know who Tom Brady is married to? The chances of you knowing who he USED to be dating must be terrible, right?

I don't see McCarthy and his wife on my TV every 15 minutes soliciting donations for the Children's Hospital at UW-Madison?

I have nearly lost track of how many articles I have read about Ryan Pickett's wife and family. How about Strahan and his divorce? Howie Long's wife and kids?

Really, no one talks about straight relationships in the NFL?

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Its strange that you choose to focus specifically on the sexual behavior as the defining characteristic. The attraction to the same sex might be the defining characteristic of the group, but it is not the defining characteristic of any individual. And that is the entire point. I doubt any of the people hoping for another athlete to emerge wants that athlete to detail, promote or otherwise advertise a specific sexual behavior or practice.

Just as Jordy Nelson's ad with his wife is not meant to be a testimony for heterosexual behavior, the appearance of a active, out professional athlete is not meant to be an advertisement for homosexual behavior.

I would hope that any person who chooses to do this does not do it to fulfill a sociopolitical movement. I hope they do it so the appearance of the object of their affection in Wisconsin Tourism ad, at a game, or in an interview is as run of the mill and unremarkable as the appearance of Mrs. Nelson in the ad.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I would hope that any person who chooses to do this does not do it to fulfill a sociopolitical movement.
    maybe later on but the first few will definitely be of the sociopolitical variety. it can't be helped. the media, the movement, politicians, won't allow it to be anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    maybe later on but the first few will definitely of the sociopolitical variety. it can't be helped. the media, the movement, politicians, won't allow it be anything else.
    Oh, it will be all tied together to the point that denying or proclaiming otherwise would be ineffectual.

But I hope it is not the sole reason. But there is no guarantee. Any sane person would harbor reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its strange that you choose to focus specifically on the sexual behavior as the defining characteristic.
    the sexual behavior is the issue. Otherwise you're just talking about close friends

the sexual behavior is the issue. Otherwise you're just talking about close friends
    The public acknowledgment is not simply about behavior. Its an effort to lead an open and honest life.

There is a natural tension between private and public realms, but this particular public realm remains unchartered.