Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inside Story of How the NFL's Plan for Its 1st Openly Gay Player Fell Apart

Its strange that you choose to focus specifically on the sexual behavior as the defining characteristic. The attraction to the same sex might be the defining characteristic of the group, but it is not the defining characteristic of any individual. And that is the entire point. I doubt any of the people hoping for another athlete to emerge wants that athlete to detail, promote or otherwise advertise a specific sexual behavior or practice.

Just as Jordy Nelson's ad with his wife is not meant to be a testimony for heterosexual behavior, the appearance of a active, out professional athlete is not meant to be an advertisement for homosexual behavior.

I would hope that any person who chooses to do this does not do it to fulfill a sociopolitical movement. I hope they do it so the appearance of the object of their affection in Wisconsin Tourism ad, at a game, or in an interview is as run of the mill and unremarkable as the appearance of Mrs. Nelson in the ad.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    This just in there are straight people in the NFL, nobody talks about that!
    No one talks about who Jay Cutler was dating, got married to? No one talks about Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson or whomever he eventually got married to?

No one ever talks about Rothliesberger's escapades and well-timed marriage? Is there no chance you know who Tom Brady is married to? The chances of you knowing who he USED to be dating must be terrible, right?

I don't see McCarthy and his wife on my TV every 15 minutes soliciting donations for the Children's Hospital at UW-Madison?

I have nearly lost track of how many articles I have read about Ryan Pickett's wife and family. How about Strahan and his divorce? Howie Long's wife and kids?

Really, no one talks about straight relationships in the NFL?

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I would hope that any person who chooses to do this does not do it to fulfill a sociopolitical movement.
    maybe later on but the first few will definitely be of the sociopolitical variety. it can't be helped. the media, the movement, politicians, won't allow it to be anything else.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Its strange that you choose to focus specifically on the sexual behavior as the defining characteristic.
    the sexual behavior is the issue. Otherwise you're just talking about close friends
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    maybe later on but the first few will definitely of the sociopolitical variety. it can't be helped. the media, the movement, politicians, won't allow it be anything else.
    Oh, it will be all tied together to the point that denying or proclaiming otherwise would be ineffectual.

But I hope it is not the sole reason. But there is no guarantee. Any sane person would harbor reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    the sexual behavior is the issue. Otherwise you're just talking about close friends
    The public acknowledgment is not simply about behavior. Its an effort to lead an open and honest life.

There is a natural tension between private and public realms, but this particular public realm remains unchartered.

The public acknowledgment is not simply about behavior. Its an effort to lead an open and honest life..
    Yes, an open and honest life about behavior. Otherwise there is nothing to be 'open and honest' about. No one would care.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Yes, an open and honest life about behavior. Otherwise there is nothing to be 'open and honest' about. No one would care.
    I doubt no one would care, but the salaciousness the topic lends itself to no doubt helps with the fascination.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.

The NFL may be a tough nut to crack:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kluwe
    As [my teammates and I] sat down in our chairs, Mike Priefer, in one of the meanest voices I can ever recall hearing, said: ‘We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows.’ The room grew intensely quiet, and none of the players said a word for the rest of the meeting.

Former Vikings punter says he lost job due to stance on gay marriage
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/chri...-mike-priefer/

Perhaps part excuse-making, but will be interesting to see if Kluwe ever punts again. I guess Tampa Bay won't be calling.

The NFL may be a tough nut to crack:

Former Vikings punter says he lost job due to stance on gay marriage
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/chri...-mike-priefer/

Perhaps part excuse-making, but will be interesting to see if Kluwe ever punts again. I guess Tampa Bay won't be calling.
    I had a hard time buying that Priefer had that kind of pull, until I read in his article that the Pioneer Press said he was the only in house candidate with a chance.

Then on Twitter I discovered he interviewed with the Bears for the HC job last year. Harbaugh, Cowher and whatshisface have really improved the visibility of the ST Coordinator.

as one commenter (jrz) on the article said:

Nonsense, he was released because he was due 1.45 million, whereas a rookie could be had for 450 thousand. Plus, they got a guy who could credibly handle kickoff duty if Walsh was injured (Kluwe's never hit a touchback when he's had to fill in). Kluwe can claim martyrdom all he wants, he was released because the Vikings found a cheaper, as-good-and-potentially-better replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    as one commenter (jrz) on the article said:

Nonsense, he was released because he was due 1.45 million, whereas a rookie could be had for 450 thousand. Plus, they got a guy who could credibly handle kickoff duty if Walsh was injured (Kluwe's never hit a touchback when he's had to fill in). Kluwe can claim martyrdom all he wants, he was released because the Vikings found a cheaper, as-good-and-potentially-better replacement.
    There are a ton of reasons he could have been released. But that doesn't change his coach's reaction.

Also, given the Vikings year, they may have wanted to spend that 5th round pick elsewhere. Are they cash strapped?

There are a ton of reasons he could have been released. But that doesn't change his coach's reaction.

UNBALANCED!!

(seriously though, you wonder at the amount of embellishment)

UNBALANCED!!

(seriously though, you wonder at the amount of embellishment)
    Yes, corroboration would be nice.

Or a statement from anyone else. However the Deadspin piece is pretty detailed. Interesting timing on the topic. And as you all have moved forward in this discussion while I was busy earning a living...My statement was in response to another statement. What they needed to do to get to the point that a current player could come out without a single wave being made about it is what I was referring to...context is key. Also, I'm not sure anyone here is saying that any needs to or should be forced to come out. What folks are saying is that if they choose to, it shouldn't be to the detriment of their careers. In order for that to happen, someone somewhere would have to make the first step and that is why it is a topic of conversation. Gay players cannot live their lives the same as straight ones as Max mentioned. You don't see the cameras cut to a player's BF in the stands cheering him on. Because no player can admit to having a boyfriend without worrying about losing millions of dollars. If you're sick of hearing about it and want the media to shut up about it already, then make sure that gay marriage is legal everywhere and it instantly becomes a non-issue because there would be nothing left to say. Simple solution. That Chris Kluwe could make a credible case that he was fired for just talking about gay rights without actually even BEING gay tells you that the league is not as enlightened as you like to think it is. It's not about acceptance, but equal treatment under the law.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    That Chris Kluwe could make a credible case that he was fired for just talking about gay rights ...
    is it really credible?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Or a statement from anyone else.
    If you're sick of hearing about it and want the media to shut up about it already, then make sure that gay marriage is legal everywhere and it instantly becomes a non-issue
    Is that what needs to be done to make it a "non-issue?" I suppose if there is no opposition then it's a non-issue. Make sure everyone thinks exactly the same. But that's what I've been saying all along, the next generation is on board and the push is to silence people opposed and turn them into the pariahs. Tolerance is not the objective.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    Or a statement from anyone else. However the Deadspin piece is pretty detailed. Interesting timing on the topic. And as you all have moved forward in this discussion while I was busy earning a living...My statement was in response to another statement. What they needed to do to get to the point that a current player could come out without a single wave being made about it is what I was referring to...context is key. Also, I'm not sure anyone here is saying that any needs to or should be forced to come out. What folks are saying is that if they choose to, it shouldn't be to the detriment of their careers. In order for that to happen, someone somewhere would have to make the first step and that is why it is a topic of conversation. Gay players cannot live their lives the same as straight ones as Max mentioned. You don't see the cameras cut to a player's BF in the stands cheering him on. Because no player can admit to having a boyfriend without worrying about losing millions of dollars. If you're sick of hearing about it and want the media to shut up about it already, then make sure that gay marriage is legal everywhere and it instantly becomes a non-issue because there would be nothing left to say. Simple solution. That Chris Kluwe could make a credible case that he was fired for just talking about gay rights without actually even BEING gay tells you that the league is not as enlightened as you like to think it is. It's not about acceptance, but equal treatment under the law.
    +1

is it really credible?

Is that what needs to be done to make it a "non-issue?" I suppose if there is no opposition then it's a non-issue. Make sure everyone thinks exactly the same. But that's what I've been saying all along, the next generation is on board and the push is to silence people opposed and turn them into the pariahs. Tolerance is not the objective.
    I said nothing about everyone thinking the same. I said let 'em get married to who they want (provided who they want is a consenting adult) and everyone will stop discussing whether gay people should be able to get married. You don't have to dance at the wedding (though having been at a gay pride parade or two in my life, and one of them in New Orleans no less, the parties I've been to have always been worth dancing at). You're right. The younger generation is on board, and gay marriage will eventually be legal everywhere and even NFL players will be able to be open about who they're dating no matter who it is (provided it's a consenting adult).
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I had a hard time buying that Priefer had that kind of pull, until I read in his article that the Pioneer Press said he was the only in house candidate with a chance.

Then on Twitter I discovered he interviewed with the Bears for the HC job last year. Harbaugh, Cowher and whatshisface have really improved the visibility of the ST Coordinator.
    "Harbaugh, Cowher and ** whatshisface ** have really improved the visibility of the ST Coordinator." pbmax

** This fella? **

Brian Schneider - Special Teams Coach - Seattle Seahawks
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    "Harbaugh, Cowher and ** whatshisface ** have really improved the visibility of the ST Coordinator." pbmax

** This fella? **

Brian Schneider - Special Teams Coach - Seattle Seahawks
    Nope, I was thinking of Belichick. He started as a ST coach.