Thread: Withdrawal symtoms

Withdrawal symtoms

Checking in now, avoided this place like the plague for the past 24h because I missed the game and did NOT want to know the result. No news sites, facebook, etc, etc, etc.

Well, the game did not disappoint, great tilt. The Suh stomp was something else, of course. Rodgers has better control of his temper than I could ever have, if I was capable of throwing a fastball the way he can, I would've went all longest yard on him. No way he would not have felt a brushback.

Was I the only one calling for Flynn when the Pack was up 28-14? I wanted Rodgers off that field.

In other news, my dad had a stroke, is in ICU, and the doctor said he has already beat the odd by surviving the first 24 hours. I tried to sneak a bit of whisky and a cigarette in to him, got the whisky through but the cigarette was out of the question.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Sorry to hear the news guiness.

Good of luck to him and you

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's a tough shot, Guiness.

Hang with 'em, went thru a tough year myself.

Watch the replay with yer old man, if ya can.

Been there with my father Guinness....hang in there and do what you can for him. It's never to late for him to quite smoking.
    C.H.U.D.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Sir Alec, best to you and your family.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Thanks for the kind thoughts all. It's going to be a tough road back for him to be sure. He started smoking in his teens...and he's over 70. High blood pressure and other issues restrict the medications he can be given to help his recovery. Doctor did say there was no permanent damage, but that with the complications he's far from out of the woods.

ICU wards are something else, to be sure. Never been in one before.

Something interesting, the broken blood vessel, or 'bleed' which caused the stroke was on the left side, so he could not move his right side. When I was with him, he started, unconsciously, to shrug his right shoulder. I pointed it out to him, and he started doing it consciously (he was surprised). Talking to the doctor, he described his right side as 'weak', not paralyzed.

Great idea KY, wish I could've watched the game with him, but everything was too hectic. Great idea though, I'll set it up for the game in 2 weeks, he should be out of ICU and into the stroke ward.
    --

Guiness, enjoy him as much as you can.

My dad died this summer. He was a long-suffering Lions fan, and it'd piss me right off if they waited until my old man was gone to win a playoff game and look like a real contender. I hope the Lions get their asses kicked in Dallas.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Guin, sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully your Dad is able to turn it around like Starr in his recovery.

Best wishes for you both.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Sorry to hear this Guiness.

Good news is that the Packers have 3 more games left, so you'll be able to watch a few more with him.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ICU is a scary place. Glad to hear your Pops is doing ok Guniness. Sounds like good news with him having mobility on his right side. Please wish him well from PackerRats.

I went through this a couple of times with my Mother.

That stuff is really scary.

It's good for your D
    ad that your there for him Guiness.

Your in my thoughts.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

hope he's continuing to improve!

He's made it out of ICU and is improving! My brother told me yesterday that he was sitting up in a wheelchair and reading a paper, and they talked on the phone, which is quite amazing compared to where he was just a few days ago. Still a long ways to go, and there are a lot of potential pitfalls, but it feels a lot more possible now.
    --

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Good to hear, Guiness! Good health and well being to all.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Great news. Keep praying.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I was just talking to my next door neighbour and he's going through this same thing on a similar timeline with his Dad.

His Dad was in the hospital but back home now and having some issues with circulation and his feet (Gout).
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Must be something about the weather. Just found out my sister-in-law's grandmother-in-law was hospitalized for a stroke just before Christmas. At first they did a CAT scan and ruled out a stroke until someone more experienced (Nurse Practitioner) got a look at her and ordered an MRI.

Found she had been having a series of small strokes for a while. All is better and she is back home.

You would think they cover the right test in med school.

Guin, I hope you get as good an outcome with your Dad. Good luck.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.