Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Official 2014 Fire Slocum! Thread

Blog Entries
    DITTO

It was just a matter of time be4 he f'cked up a game
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Only Slocum, in a season of relatively good health, could have his unit take a nosedive due to backups. He is a retread blowout of a coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I WANT Shawm Slocum ... FIRED !!!!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    While we've spent enormous amounts of time bitching about the defense, or Dom Capers, or whose fault that all is, and lots of time recently bitching about A-Rod, or his girlfriend, or MM's playcalling, the real undoing of this team this year will be the special teams.

It's been a running joke on this site that Slocum needs to be fired, and people are on record as wanting that, but it seems more jokish than vitriolic.

It's the special teams that will kill this team in a close playoff game. I don't know how they fix this tire fire, but for god's sakes - blocked field goals, blocked extra points, allowing punt return touchdowns, shitty punting.

These are the things that will undermine this team in the end.

I'm not worried about A-Rod or the offense. I believe a certain kind of defense - the Bills', the Seahawks', the Lions', the Cards' - can seriously slow down this offense. But I think they can score in the 20's.

And while I don't think it's a SB defense, that defense is better than last year's. It's not a great defense, but it's been okay much of the time. Not great, but okay.

So it will be that blocked field goal, that punt or kickoff return, that missed extra point, that will wreck this team in the end.

What can be done? Would it help to fire Slocum at this point?
    This is not a joke, it never was.

Jim Haslett has been fired as DC of Washington Redskins. He and McCarthy have a relationship and he was considered for the DC opening when Capers was hired.

Has he ever coached Special Teams?

Fire Slocum!@$#%
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Jim Haslett has been fired as DC of Washington Redskins. He and McCarthy have a relationship and he was considered for the DC opening when Capers was hired.

Has he ever coached Special Teams?

Fire Slocum!@$#%
    Haslett coached defensive line, linebackers and special teams for the Sacramento Surge of the WLAF in 1991-1992.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Only Slocum, in a season of relatively good health, could have his unit take a nosedive due to backups. He is a retread blowout of a coach.
    Exactly. We heard the "constantly changing lineup" excuse for too many years. Now they hint at an excuse that without Sitton there aren't enough guys capable of blocking to be able to get even an extra point off. Eight guys, That's all you need, is eight guys in addition to the snapper, holder and kicker.

Wow, this thread is almost a year old.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Make no mistake, I'm on the "Fire Slocum" bandwagon.

That said, however, I admit to being unable to give cogent reasons why...other than nonperformance.

What exactly and specifically are Slocum's documented problems?

Is he generally clueless, technically football stupid, irresponsible, without leadership qualities, insubordinate, careless, lazy, too much a players coach, a yes man, too old school, too new school....?

I mean what is it with the guy?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

How long have we been calling for this guys head? FIRE SLOCUM!
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Make no mistake, I'm on the "Fire Slocum" bandwagon.

That said, however, I admit to being unable to give cogent reasons why...other than nonperformance.

What exactly and specifically are Slocum's documented problems?

Is he generally clueless, technically football stupid, irresponsible, without leadership qualities, insubordinate, careless, lazy, too much a players coach, a yes man, too old school, too new school....?

I mean what is it with the guy?
    In his first year I believe, there was a catastrophic stretch of ST play. Brutal errors more egregious than the seven blocked kicks this year. Things that screamed bad design, or 10 men on the field, miscommunication, etc.

After the ship was partially righted, JSO ran an article that got some on the record quotes from other ST coaches that Slocum was trying some new things and several of them seemed schematically unsound. And that later iterations of the same units were going back to more traditional designs. My version of events might mix things from two years, because I think some time passed between the disaster of his debut to subsequent revelations.

McCarthy is not a coach who is afraid to experiment and I bet his buddy Slocum indulged M3s wish to be aggressive on ST. And it backfired spectacularly.

Even after the two of them were done with their teenage experimentation, Slocum had units that would not improve. He has had one, maybe two years above average but usually in the bottom third. They never seem to develop better options, schemes or players. And if a problem develops (kick blocks, Crosby's struggles two years ago) it persists for most of the year before getting straightened out.

His only successes seem to be player driven self-improvement; Masthay and the Aussie kick, Crosby's self correction and Bush.

If I had to guess, Slocum is too good a friend to M3 and he can't tell the HC to go jump in a lake when he is off his nut about something. This is related to his being inexperienced or incompetent enough not to recognize and fix trouble before we recognize the problems.

Blog Entries
    Slocum hardly seemed ready when he was hired.
    He was the assistant of he guy who was canned with a resume that was not too impressive
    How many times does a fired guy's assistant get hired long term as an assistant coach
    The only reason I can think of is he's MM's friend

Last year they were a disaster for a while and came on strong late in the season
    I had noted that was a bad thing for GB because had the trainwreck continued at least we would have had a shot

I think every year he's been here the ST incompetence has greatly contributed to 1-2 losses and I can't remember many wins

He's junk.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?