Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Packers still pursuing the dream

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Sign Tramon.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Sign Tramon.
    He's 33 years old (soon to be 34), does he have anything left in the tank?
    Last edited by Teamcheez1; 02-07-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I don't know. Bring him in and see. Then sign him. lol
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    He would have been the perfect insurance policy for a season like this last one. Considering they will more than likely be injury riddled yet again. I say sign him on the cheap if possible and if he has something left.

Also that assumes he wants to sign a cheap contract as a 12 year vet and possibly not get to play.

I get the complaints about the Packers. What I don't get are this board's goofy solutions: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-and-reaction

Williams, 33, signed with the Browns in 2015 after an eight-year run with the Green Bay Packers. He played in 27 of a possible 32 games, starting 22. Browns coach Hue Jackson benched Williams in favor of Jamar Taylor in 2016; he started just seven of his 12 appearances after being a starter for all 15 in 2015.

The Browns experimented with playing Williams at safety late in the season.

"I like to see the ball and at this point in my career at the safety position probably, you would definitely be able to see the ball," Williams told reporters. "I like picks."

Williams finished 2016 with 36 tackles and one interception. He had just two total as a Brown after posting multiple interceptions in his last seven seasons in Green Bay.

If he gets a look with another NFL team, Williams' move to safety may become permanent. Pro Football Focus graded him as just the 74th-best cornerback in the NFL last season.
    He couldn't start at cornerback for the Browns. Not even in nickel or inside. 74th rated. He might need to move to safety. He is old and unless the laws of time have been suspended, he is getting older and not better. He is a terrible player right now.
    Last edited by pbmax; 02-08-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't see how it hurts to bring him in for a look see. Nobody's saying (at least I'm not) that it's a "solution."

I don't see how it hurts to bring him in for a look see. Nobody's saying (at least I'm not) that it's a "solution."
    The Packers know what he had when they released him, or did not re-sign him. He hasn't gotten better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Packers know what he had when they released him, or did not re-sign him. He hasn't gotten better.
    I guess you know more about it than I do.

I guess you know more about it than I do.
    I don't. But he could no longer start for a 29th overall ranked defense, that ranked 30th in pass defense.

Unless there is some undisclosed injury that he will recover from in short order, the assumption has to be that he was worse than when he left GB.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Anybody point out yet that Erik Walden had 11 sacks for the Colts this year?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I don't. But he could no longer start for a 29th overall ranked defense, that ranked 30th in pass defense.

Unless there is some undisclosed injury that he will recover from in short order, the assumption has to be that he was worse than when he left GB.

The question for me is: Is he currently as good or better than any of our CB's. His experience has got to count for something. He could serve as nothing more than a band-aid. In fact, I think it is rational to ask why, if the Browns had soured on Tramon, we didn't pursue him early last season when our guys started to bite the dust. His familiarity with Dom's system might have made him more serviceable than an injured Rollins or Randall.

Just sayin'.

The Packers have released players that are still good before. TT and stubby are not the be all end all. He is NOT the fix fix, but IF able to be gotten cheap. He could be a partial patch job on the huge hole they have to fix. Piss poor contingency is what gets them in trouble as it is.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    The question for me is: Is he currently as good or better than any of our CB's. His experience has got to count for something. He could serve as nothing more than a band-aid. In fact, I think it is rational to ask why, if the Browns had soured on Tramon, we didn't pursue him early last season when our guys started to bite the dust. His familiarity with Dom's system might have made him more serviceable than an injured Rollins or Randall.

Just sayin'.
    I hear ya, Maxie. Yeah, as long as it's a tire kicking and if he has tread left and doesn't expect a big money, then he could be depth. It could be a cheaper option than brining back Hyde, but then you'd have to decide which player brings more to the table at this point, and that is likely Hyde. It's awesome to be good with the cap, but sometimes laying out the money is worth it for younger legs and better production. However, if there is a hybrid free agent, slightly younger than Hyde who has better cover skills, I'd rather give that player the money we would be giving to Hyde. He does what he can in coverage, and was asked to do a lot more because of injuries, but savvy only carries you so far.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Could part of that just be that the Browns suck?? Maybe he would be better with better coaching, you are always praising the coaching staff of the Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I hear ya, Maxie. Yeah, as long as it's a tire kicking and if he has tread left and doesn't expect a big money, then he could be depth. It could be a cheaper option than brining back Hyde, but then you'd have to decide which player brings more to the table at this point, and that is likely Hyde. It's awesome to be good with the cap, but sometimes laying out the money is worth it for younger legs and better production. However, if there is a hybrid free agent, slightly younger than Hyde who has better cover skills, I'd rather give that player the money we would be giving to Hyde. He does what he can in coverage, and was asked to do a lot more because of injuries, but savvy only carries you so far.
    Agreed, completely. All I'm suggesting is that ALL options be thoroughly explored and left on the table. Don't let preconceived notions negate possible opportunity.

Agreed, completely. All I'm suggesting is that ALL options be thoroughly explored and left on the table. Don't let preconceived notions negate possible opportunity.
    EXACTLY, very well stated.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    There was an article a few years ago that state TT brings the most guys weekly to GB to be looked at during the season. In the article it said he brought in around 10 players per week to look at. We just don't hear about it. We don't know what goes on in 1265.

I think TT has a very good grasp that our CBs and pass defense sucked this year. To think he doesn't is silly.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    We don't know what goes on in 1265.
    A greater truth has never been spoken. It's why I said earlier that I won't get too excited about what is said here until TT and MM start posting.

Trying to decide if you believe what you're saying or just being contrary. As the great Cincinnati poet Johnny Fever said, "speed kills Del" and Tramon has none of it left. Yes, at this point, a street UDFA has more to offer than he does because any NFL WR is going to get a step on his EVERY play.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...