Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Packers still pursuing the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers12 View Post
    And in the process of cleaning up said mess, Thompson made and continues to make even a bigger mess.
    and....... That's because...............................Ted's Mother........... always................ (You've got it).
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers12 View Post
    Collins was Butler's replacement.
    This argument is like a 3 card monte game.

Sharper did not have a great running mate after Butler was gone.

Collins at least had complementary piece Charlie Peprah next to him. Peprah was no Pro Bowl talent, but he did a job and usually did it well even if he could get into trouble in space. Who woulda ever thunk we would miss Pep?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Without the freakish play ending Collin's career, we would not be critical of the safeties. We likely would all agree that TT had done his job well finding long term starters in Collins and Burnett and effective shorter term players in Peprah, Bigby, etc. TT came to GB with Sharper an immediate cap casualty, so he needed two starters immediately, then he lost the best one he had found.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I expect the subject ex-Packers to be all-Pro's in the next 2-3 years.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I expect the subject ex-Packers to be all-Pro's in the next 2-3 years.
    Good subject. Who are the best players to leave, not by monster FA deal the Packers were unwilling to match, but because they did not perform at an adequate level to maintain their roster spot? And then went on to bigger success.

Let's limit it to players under McCarthy's current coaches and acquired by Thompson.

Of the top of my head (OK, that quickly became a lie, after only thinking of 10, I went to the Packer Historical Roster for help):

Code:
    "Allen, Jake"		WR
    "Barbre, Allen"		G/T
    "Barnett, Nick"		LB
    "Bell, Josh"		CB
    "Benson, Cedric"	RB
    "Bigby, Atari"		S
    "Bishop, Desmond"	LB
    "Blackmon, Will"	CB
    "Bodiford, Shaun"	WR
    "Bolston, Conrad"	DT
    "Briggs, Diyral"	LB
    "Chillar, Brandon"	LB
    "Clifton, Chad"		T
    "Cole, Colin"		DT
    "Colledge, Daryn"	G/T
    "Collins, Nick"		S
    "Coston, Junius"	T/G
    "Crabtree, Tom"		TE
    "Davis, Rob"		LS
    "Driver, Donald"	WR
    "Ealy, Biren"		WR
    "Favre, Brett"		QB
    "Ford, Trevor"		CB
    "Francies, Chris"	WR
    "Franks, Bubba"		TE
    "Frost, Derrick"	P
    "Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer"	DE
    "Giacomini, Breno"	T
    "Giordano, Matt"	S
    "Gordy, Josh"		CB
    "Grant, Ryan"		RB
    "Green, Ahman"		RB
    "Green, Alex"		RB
    "Green, Howard"		NT
    "Hall, Korey"		FB
    "Harrell, Graham"	QB
    "Harrell, Justin"	DT
    "Harris, Al"		CB
    "Havner, Spencer"	TE/LB
    "Holiday, Carlyle"	WR
    "Humphrey, Tory"	TE
    "Hunter, Jason"		DE
    "Jenkins, Cullen"	DT/DE
    "Jennings, Greg"	WR
    "Johnson, Quinn"	FB
    "Kampman, Aaron"	DE/LB
    "Kapinos, Jeremy"	P
    "Krause, Ryan"		TE
    "Lansanah, Danny"	LB
    "Lee, Donald"		TE
    "Lee, Pat"		CB
    "Lumpkin, Kregg"	RB
    "Malone, Alfred"	DT
    "Manning, Terrell"	LB
    "Martin, Derrick"	S
    "Martin, Ruvell"	WR
    "McMillian, Jerron"	S
    "Merling, Phillip"	DE
    "Miller, Jordan"	DT
    "Moll, Tony"		T/G
    "Montgomery, Michael"	DE
    "Morency, Vernand"	RB
    "Moses, Dezman"		LB
    "Muir, Daniel"		DT
    "Nall, Craig"		QB
    "Nance, Dimitri"	RB
    "Obiozor, Cyril"	LB
    "Palmer, Tony"		G
    "Peprah, Charlie"	S
    "Pettway, Kenny"	DE
    "Poppinga, Brady"	LB
    "Porter, Joe"		CB
    "Robinson, Koren"	WR
    "Ross, Jeremy"		WR
    "Rouse, Aaron"		S
    "Ryan, Jon"		P
    "Saine, Brandon"	RB
    "Saturday, Jeff"	C
    "Simpkins, Maurice"	LB
    "Smith, Anthony"	S
    "Smith, D.J."		LB
    "So'oto, Vic"		LB
    "Spitz, Jason"		G/C
    "Swain, Brett"		WR
    "Tauscher, Mark"	T/G
    "Thompson, Jeremy"	DE/LB
    "Toribio, Anthony"	NT
    "Underwood, Brandon"	CB
    "Walden, Erik"		LB
    "Walker, Frank"		CB
    "Wells, Scott"		C/G
    "White, Johnny"		RB
    "White, Tracy"		LB
    "Wilhelm, Matt"		LB
    "Williams, Corey"	DT/DE
    "Williams, D.J."	LB
    "Woodson, Charles"	CB
    "Wynn, DeShawn"		RB
    "Wynn, Jarius"		DE
    "Zombo, Frank"		LB
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I am leaving Favre out because his replacement was on the roster and it was obvious the wanted to move on, retirement, contract or not. But if you include him, I think the move nets positive for Packers.

Here are those who went on to be starters at least: Giacomini, Woodson, Tracy White (starter at least on Philly ST), Scott Wells, Frank Walker (nickel), Erik Walden, Anthony Smith (got a start somewhere), Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Poppinga, Muir, Moll (started as backup to injured), Ruvell, Lumpkin, Kampman, Quinn Johnson, Jennings, Jenkins, Havner, Harris, Ahman Green, Crabtree, Colledge, Cole, Blackmon, Bishop, Barnett.

Remove from consideration those who were not retained because of contract/cap value/FA but would have been retained otherwise: Woodson, Scott Wells, Erik Walden, Kampman, Jennings, Colledge (did he get an offer from the Pack?).

Cut because they were judged didn't fit or couldn't play or not worth roster spot: Giacomini, Tracy White, Frank Walker, Anthony Smith, Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Brady Poppinga, Daniel Muir, Tony Moll, Ruvell Martin, Kregg Lumpkin, Quinn Johnson, Cullen Jenkins (have heard both be was offered deal/was in plans but also was not given option to stay), Spencer Havner, Al Harris, Ahman Green, Tom Crabtree, Colin Cole, Will Blackmon, Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett.

What do you think? Regrets? Jenkins, Ryan, maybe Giacomini though he is on list to get replaced by Seahawks), Tracy White still hasn't been replaced, Muir started for Colts on some pretty average defenses. Bishop still had gas in tank but hurt, maybe Barnett?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Did Thompson get rid of the fullback who played for the Ravens and Texans? That guy did very well.

Favre, College, Jenkins, Ryan. Maybe only Jenkins is the true regret. I have no regrets about Favre:
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This argument is like a 3 card monte game.

Sharper did not have a great running mate after Butler was gone.

Collins at least had complementary piece Charlie Peprah next to him. Peprah was no Pro Bowl talent, but he did a job and usually did it well even if he could get into trouble in space. Who woulda ever thunk we would miss Pep?
    If anyone is a crackerjack researcher at bumping threads I did. I was amiss at everyone begging to replace him after the superbowl. Was he a stud...hell no, but we had studs (until collins went snap)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I am leaving Favre out because his replacement was on the roster and it was obvious the wanted to move on, retirement, contract or not. But if you include him, I think the move nets positive for Packers.

Here are those who went on to be starters at least: Giacomini, Woodson, Tracy White (starter at least on Philly ST), Scott Wells, Frank Walker (nickel), Erik Walden, Anthony Smith (got a start somewhere), Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Poppinga, Muir, Moll (started as backup to injured), Ruvell, Lumpkin, Kampman, Quinn Johnson, Jennings, Jenkins, Havner, Harris, Ahman Green, Crabtree, Colledge, Cole, Blackmon, Bishop, Barnett.

Remove from consideration those who were not retained because of contract/cap value/FA but would have been retained otherwise: Woodson, Scott Wells, Erik Walden, Kampman, Jennings, Colledge (did he get an offer from the Pack?).

Cut because they were judged didn't fit or couldn't play or not worth roster spot: Giacomini, Tracy White, Frank Walker, Anthony Smith, Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Brady Poppinga, Daniel Muir, Tony Moll, Ruvell Martin, Kregg Lumpkin, Quinn Johnson, Cullen Jenkins (have heard both be was offered deal/was in plans but also was not given option to stay), Spencer Havner, Al Harris, Ahman Green, Tom Crabtree, Colin Cole, Will Blackmon, Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett.

What do you think? Regrets? Jenkins, Ryan, maybe Giacomini though he is on list to get replaced by Seahawks), Tracy White still hasn't been replaced, Muir started for Colts on some pretty average defenses. Bishop still had gas in tank but hurt, maybe Barnett?
    Ryans took a minute to replace. We missed him, but not anymore. I miss wells even though he has been hurt without our bang up training staff. College was reliably average.

I would say that I may have preferred paying/hanging on to a couple guys on that list, but none of them change much.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ryans took a minute to replace.
    A LOT longer than that.

Getting rid of Ryan hurt the Pack quite a bit for 2 seasons. Frost and Kapinos were just this side of train wrecks. They were damn lucky when they finally found another ginger that came in and played well right away.

I know most will say it's only a punter, I'd say Ryan is biggest loss if you look at a player with a long future who has consistently played well.

Most of the others players, honestly, were borderline players, or the replacement was on the roster. Scott Wells is probably an exception.

aside: Will Blackmon got to start somewhere? Pity that team...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I think of Colin Cole in the group of players they couldn't afford to keep, but would have kept if they could have afforded it. I think they wanted him and made him an offer, but he got a bigger offer from Seattle than the Packers were willing to pay.

They gave up on Dave Tollefson early, and he went on to be a solid contributor for the Giants for a few years. But, I doubt the Packers have any real regrets about it.
    They also gave up on Clarke Harris, who is now the Bengals longsnapper. Again, I doubt the Packers have regrets about it.

Jon Ryan might be the one guy they let go without a good replacement on hand. They don't miss him now, but did until they got Masthay.
    Jenkins maybe, but the story isn't very clear about what really happened.
    I think they still wanted Giacomini. Seattle signed him from the Packers practice squad, although they released him later that season and the Packers didn't reacquire him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

They gave up on Dave Tollefson early, and he went on to be a solid contributor for the Giants for a few years. But, I doubt the Packers have any real regrets about it.
    They also gave up on Clarke Harris, who is now the Bengals longsnapper. Again, I doubt the Packers have regrets about it.
    The Packers didn't quite give up on Tollefson. He was signed by Oakland off the Packers practice squad in 2006 before ending up the NYG for several years. Also, when he became a free agent in 2012, the Packers were one of four teams he visited with.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ryans took a minute to replace. We missed him, but not anymore. I miss wells even though he has been hurt without our bang up training staff. College was reliably average.

I would say that I may have preferred paying/hanging on to a couple guys on that list, but none of them change much.
    Evan Dietrich-Smith is te 10th ranked Center in the NFL bt Pro Football Focus ( sunscription required).

I'm sure Aaron Rodgers wants his Center back. I certainly want for TT to make E D-S a priority re-signing.

I want TT to secure our OL because our defense has a mountain to climb. Aaron Rodgers must as a highest priority be protected.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    A LOT longer than that.

Getting rid of Ryan hurt the Pack quite a bit for 2 seasons. Frost and Kapinos were just this side of train wrecks. They were damn lucky when they finally found another ginger that came in and played well right away.

I know most will say it's only a punter, I'd say Ryan is biggest loss if you look at a player with a long future who has consistently played well.

Most of the others players, honestly, were borderline players, or the replacement was on the roster. Scott Wells is probably an exception.

aside: Will Blackmon got to start somewhere? Pity that team...
    I guess that came off different in text. When I said it took a minute, I meant it as, we didn't replace him instantly...it took time, but we did get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Evan Dietrich-Smith is te 10th ranked Center in the NFL bt Pro Football Focus ( sunscription required).

I'm sure Aaron Rodgers wants his Center back. I certainly want for TT to make E D-S a priority re-signing.

I want TT to secure our OL because our defense has a mountain to climb. Aaron Rodgers must as a highest priority be protected.
    I don't disagree that I want EDS back for a modest contract. 10th? I doubt that, but I don't focus on many teams centers. I watch tackles mostly. Sadly I think TT won't offer EDS much because he has Tretter and Lang if desperate.

It's a tough call. Rodgers would like some continuity, but I don't think EDS will ever be more than average. Tretter is probably the smartest guy on the team (33 wonderlic), so I don't have concerns about his ability to pick up the mental aspects of playing the position. He probably has more upside. Still, he hasn't played except for the scout team for a few weeks.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Tollefson didn't appear on the list because he spent no time with McCarthy, though it occurs to me my search might have missed 2006, Year 2 of T2 and Year 1 of M3.

Here is who I missed from 2006:

Code:
    Alcorn, Zac
    Allen, Kenderick
    Carroll, Ahmad
    Culver, Tyrone
    Dendy, Patrick
    Ferguson, Robert
    Gado, Samkon
    Henderson, William
    Herron, Noah
    Hodge, Abdul
    Leach, Vonta
    Manuel, Marquand
    Martin, David
    Martin, Ingle
    Miree, Brandon
    Pope, P.J.
    Rayner, Dave
    Taylor, Ben
    Walter, Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The Packers didn't quite give up on Tollefson. He was signed by Oakland off the Packers practice squad in 2006 before ending up the NYG for several years. Also, when he became a free agent in 2012, the Packers were one of four teams he visited with.
    The Raiders signed him after the Packers season ended, when their PS contracts were done. The Packers signed Tramon Williams, Spencer Havner, and their other PS guys to futures contracts at that point, but not Tollefson. Maybe it was Tollefson's choice not to sign with GB, but the Raiders signed him to their off season roster as a FA.

We discussed it at the time here:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...off-Packers-PS

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's a tough call. Rodgers would like some continuity, but I don't think EDS will ever be more than average. Tretter is probably the smartest guy on the team (33 wonderlic), so I don't have concerns about his ability to pick up the mental aspects of playing the position. He probably has more upside. Still, he hasn't played except for the scout team for a few weeks.
    It's too bad. They had a good plan. EDS signed for 2013 and a 4th round pick in Tretter. If Tretter hadn't been injured, they would know a lot more about his potential at center.

TT has to be getting frustrated with so many injuries screwing up his plans.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 6m
    Giants sign Jay Bromley, Terrell Manning http://wp.me/p14QSB-9vcz