Page 37 of 72 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Packers still pursuing the dream

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    As I scanned the AAF rosters and coaches, I came across another blast from the past: Tim Lewis - head coach of Memphis. I had to check if he was really the guy, not just a similar name. He is. For those who don't remember, Tim Lewis was probably on the way to becoming the greatest Packer Corner in my lifetime, and I go back to Herb Adderly and before. He played about two years, injured his neck, and never played again. He was truly the shutdown Corner at the pro level that one poster in here dreams he was in high school hahahahaha.
    Yup, was just starting to be mentioned as being a great one in the making when his career ended abruptly.

Not sure what happened to him as a coach. He ascended the ranks in the NFL, and spent three years as DC in Pittsburgh and another three in NY. Some thought he was a potential HC, then his career went backwards and he was out of the league a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Had he stayed healthy, and had Eddie Lee Ivery not blown out his knee back in the day, that Packer era might have been so much less dismal.
    ...and had Bruce Clark signed with GB instead of going to Canada, the Packers might never have had Lewis. He was drafted with the pick GB got from New Orleans for their rights to Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    ...and had Bruce Clark signed with GB instead of going to Canada, the Packers might never have had Lewis. He was drafted with the pick GB got from New Orleans for their rights to Clark.

Bruce Clark. Did he even do anything in Canada or in the NFL?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Bruce Clark. Did he even do anything in Canada or in the NFL?
    Played 10 years, 2 in Canada and 8 in the NFL.. All-star in Canada and had a pro-bowl season with the Saints. Ended up being a good, solid player.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Funny how Clark snubbed the Packers and then ended up with the early 80's Saints under Bum Phillips. Those were some average to below average teams, but hey, he was in New Orleans! When Jim Mora got there, they had two good years in 87 (strike year) and 88 and then he had one more very average year under Marty ball in KC and then done. Those early 80's Packers teams could have totally used a guy like Bruce Clark.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Funny how Clark snubbed the Packers and then ended up with the early 80's Saints under Bum Phillips. Those were some average to below average teams, but hey, he was in New Orleans! When Jim Mora got there, they had two good years in 87 (strike year) and 88 and then he had one more very average year under Marty ball in KC and then done. Those early 80's Packers teams could have totally used a guy like Joe Montana.
    FIFY. The story I read on Packerrats was that one or two Packer scouts were really, really pushing for this skinny QB from Notre Dame, but the story goes that Bart Starr wanted to demonstrate that he was in charge and could spot talent, so he went with Rich Campbell int he first round.

No idea if there's any truth to this, except that we know the Packers did not draft Joe Montana. Of course, no one did until the third round. Sometimes I think it would have been more fun to be a scout in those days, because it seems that there was more opportunity to uncover a gem, or see things on tape that others didn't see. Those days, you might be the only scout watching film from the Colorado School of Mines or going to Antelope Hole, Wyoming, to watch some offensive tackle your brother's friend's dad saw playing for the Wyoming Wranglers. Nowadays, there isn't a twelve-year-old Potential NFL Quarterback in the land whom the NFL doesn't already know about.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    FIFY. The story I read on Packerrats was that one or two Packer scouts were really, really pushing for this skinny QB from Notre Dame, but the story goes that Bart Starr wanted to demonstrate that he was in charge and could spot talent, so he went with Rich Campbell int he first round.

No idea if there's any truth to this, except that we know the Packers did not draft Joe Montana. Of course, no one did until the third round. Sometimes I think it would have been more fun to be a scout in those days, because it seems that there was more opportunity to uncover a gem, or see things on tape that others didn't see. Those days, you might be the only scout watching film from the Colorado School of Mines or going to Antelope Hole, Wyoming, to watch some offensive tackle your brother's friend's dad saw playing for the Wyoming Wranglers. Nowadays, there isn't a twelve-year-old Potential NFL Quarterback in the land whom the NFL doesn't already know about.
    Red Cochran (legendary GB coach and scout) assumed he had Bart sold on drafting Montana. When Bart picked Charles Johnson, Red screamed obscenities, fired his clipboard across the room and stomped out of the draft room. The next year, Red and all the scouts had Bart sold on drafting Ronnie Lott. They flew Lott out to GB, steak dinner at Oneida Country Club, the whole bit. Lott committed to the Pack. On draft day, Bart freaked out and made Rich Campbell #1. Bart explained that Hawg Hanner talked him into picking Campbell.

it was later claimed that Hawg talked Starr into drafting Charles Johnson over Joe Cool.

So maybe Hawg fucked up the 80's for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hanner

Coaching career
    Following his playing career, Hanner spent sixteen seasons as an assistant coach for the Packers. From 1965 through 1970, he was the defensive line coach. When Dan Devine took over as head coach in 1971, he was promoted to the defensive coordinator, a position he served in until 1974. Bart Starr became the team's head coach in 1975 and Hanner remained as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. He was released after the 1979 season (and then worked for the rival Chicago Bears), but returned as the team's quality control assistant in 1982. He transferred into a scout role until he retired in 1996.

Hanner was inducted into both the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

First, he may have become a Bears' plant after 1979.

Second, that is a whale of a career but he seems to be moving into a downward trajectory after being let go as DC in '79. However a defensive minded guy is someone I could see (as a coach or as a scout) trying to get a player for the defense (Johnson). If he recommended Campbell, who knows what the motivation was.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hanner

Coaching career
    Following his playing career, Hanner spent sixteen seasons as an assistant coach for the Packers. From 1965 through 1970, he was the defensive line coach. When Dan Devine took over as head coach in 1971, he was promoted to the defensive coordinator, a position he served in until 1974. Bart Starr became the team's head coach in 1975 and Hanner remained as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. He was released after the 1979 season (and then worked for the rival Chicago Bears), but returned as the team's quality control assistant in 1982. He transferred into a scout role until he retired in 1996.

Hanner was inducted into both the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

First, he may have become a Bears' plant after 1979.

Second, that is a whale of a career but he seems to be moving into a downward trajectory after being let go as DC in '79. However a defensive minded guy is someone I could see (as a coach or as a scout) trying to get a player for the defense (Johnson). If he recommended Campbell, who knows what the motivation was.
    By that timeline, it doesn't look like Hawg was with the club in any capacity when those decisions/picks were made.

I totally forgot Hawg worked with the Bears. I wonder how he got on with Buddy and that crew!

Well he coached through 1979, so he could have been onboard the no Montana train. JoeCool was drafted in 1979 I believe.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    By that timeline, it doesn't look like Hawg was with the club in any capacity when those decisions/picks were made.

I totally forgot Hawg worked with the Bears. I wonder how he got on with Buddy and that crew!
    Yep. If Hawg was out of the picture from 1979 to 1982, he would have missed the 1981 draft when Rich Campbell was chosen as Green Bay's first pick (oy!). In the first two rounds, they could have had Ronnie Lott, Mike Singletary or Howie Long. Double oy! #thanksbart
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Yep. If Hawg was out of the picture from 1979 to 1982, he would have missed the 1981 draft when Rich Campbell was chosen as Green Bay's first pick (oy!). In the first two rounds, they could have had Ronnie Lott, Mike Singletary or Howie Long. Double oy! #thanksbart
    Maybe Hawg called his old friend Bart and said "You know, you guys should really consider drafting tnat Campbell kid ".

Perhaps he got canned for recommending against Montana.

Jordy still sounds a little bitter about not being resigned by the Packers.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...on/2884067002/

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Jordy still sounds a little bitter about not being resigned by the Packers.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...on/2884067002/
    Mostly sounds like he doesn't want to re-live it.

Here is a writeup about Nelson's talk with Wilde and Tauscher. Former Packers Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley and Kabeer somehow make an appearance too.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/footb...d56010913.html

Nelson found Finley’s remarks particularly curious.

“When you actually read the comments and what they say, it makes absolutely no sense,” Nelson said. “A quarterback expects you to practice well and do what you’re supposed to do on the practice field in order to be successful in a game? That’s pretty well what’s expected.
    KGB's comments are just precious too. The guy who refused to play the run, got benched (hello Cullen Jenkins at DE) and released for giving up huge runs on the edge says that becoming the starter changed Rodgers. KGB got a good what, six months look at that, before playing his way out of town.

Losing stinks, mainly because fools come out of the woodwork.

I got into a discussion with Packer Report who was mad at people IRL and online nattering on about Rodgers being coachable. He was mad that people insisted this was a question and did not want to discuss that Rodgers himself brought this up AND made it a story this year with his own comments (game plan versus Bills was it?).

He thinks it'd par for the course for QBs to be mad about things when results are going south. I tend to agree, but Rodgers performance, comments and the team situation, all make the coachable question pretty obviously relevant, even if in my opinion its easily answered as yes.

Also realized that a HC who calls plays put themselves in this position. Belichick can stay well above the fray as HC with TebowDrafter getting the bulk of the complaints. Or you go with Holmgren which means you keep your distance and only hand out limited freedom to have input of change the plays.

“It’s crazy to say, but I played with the guy for 6, 7 years, and I had to gain my trust by running the right routes and knowing the plays. It’s crazy.”
    J-Mike is pretty hilarious here. Unintentionally I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    “It’s crazy to say, but I played with the guy for 6, 7 years, and I had to gain my trust by running the right routes and knowing the plays. It’s crazy.”
    J-Mike is pretty hilarious here. Unintentionally I believe.
    Recall that, as a rookie, after he had completely botched a couple passes thrown his way in a game toward the end of the season, Finley "explained" one was dropped because Rodgers had not yet learned where he (Finley) liked to have the ball thrown, and the other was because he (Finley) didn't do back shoulder type routes.

Ron Zook hired by Salt Lake Stallions of The AAF. He will assist on secondary and special teams. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...llions-of-aaf/