Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Packers still pursuing the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    None of those. They were all Packer draft picks. The guy I'm thinking of was signed very late in his career as an injury replacement. I know Meredith came back for a few weeks, but he is still young.
    Do you remember who it was yet? There's another guy I remember, Irish name, ex-Patriot or Bill? Long time vet signed as an FA but hurt in camp and sued the Packers IIRC. Don't think he played a regular season down.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Do you remember who it was yet? There's another guy I remember, Irish name, ex-Patriot or Bill? Long time vet signed as an FA but hurt in camp and sued the Packers IIRC. Don't think he played a regular season down.
    Matt O'Dwyer? http://www.pro-football-reference.co...O/ODwyMa20.htm

TT signed him as a free agent in 2005. Was a starter for Jets and Bengals.

My recollection is that Packers didn't play him in the last preseason game because they were going to release him and didn't want him to get hurt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    That guy is incredible. He's been with about 8 different teams, but apparently never played in a regular season game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevin_McCaskill

Not O'Dwyer, he started 100+ games before coming to GB.
    McCaskill was a practice squad guy when the Packers signed him, wasn't he?

Not O'Dwyer, he started 100+ games before coming to GB.
    McCaskill was a practice squad guy when the Packers signed him, wasn't he?
    In my opinion, Ruegamer is the closest thing to what you described, except that he only played for 3 different teams. But other than 1 season with the Packers, he only started a handful of games in his 9 year career.

Blog Entries
    It looks like the Packers were the only team that signed him to their regular season roster, though he never played a down for them - or any of the other 9 teams he's been with at one time or another.

Career history
    Buffalo Bills (2007–2008)*
    Philadelphia Eagles (2008)*
    Green Bay Packers (2008)
    New York Jets (2009)*
    Miami Dolphins (2009)*
    Tennessee Titans (2010)*
    Pittsburgh Steelers (2011)*
    New York Jets (2011)*
    Washington Redskins (2011–2012)*
    Tampa Bay Storm (2013)
    * Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Ruegamer's career has ended up that way, but the guy I'm thinking of came to GB real late in his career. Maybe they just brought him in for a look, or something. I remember discussing him on here or elsewhere, and going back and looking at what he made in 10 or 11 years, even at minimum wage, having played in only a very small number of games.

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    Ruegamer's career has ended up that way, but the guy I'm thinking of came to GB real late in his career. Maybe they just brought him in for a look, or something. I remember discussing him on here or elsewhere, and going back and looking at what he made in 10 or 11 years, even at minimum wage, having played in only a very small number of games.
    Wasn't there a lineman named Wilkerson or Wilkinson who filled in during the 96 SB? He was with a few teams before that and he filled in for the Pack and did an OK job?

Quote Originally Posted by TravisWilliams23 View Post
    Wasn't there a lineman named Wilkerson or Wilkinson who filled in during the 96 SB? He was with a few teams before that and he filled in for the Pack and did an OK job?
    Wilkerson had started about 80 games for the Raiders over a number of years. Not the kind of guy Patler is referring to.

The Cleveland Browns brought in former Packer John Kuhn for a tryout.

Whups! I misread the title - this is a dream I am still pursuing.

Why do you need two fullbacks who play combined less than ten offensive snaps? (I pulled that stat out of my ass, but it's pretty close.)

Well, maybe this is like church. I need to be patient and believe - the truth will be revealed in the end to the faithful. It's a long season.

Are you referring to some guy from the '40's or '50's that only you would remember?

Was it Reggie Wells? Thought they brought him in for a cup of coffee. Adrian Klemm? Tony Moll? Honestly, I can't think of any others that actually played in a game.
    (Excluding Spitz/Colledge/Whittiker/Giacomini)

Frank zombo is still with the Chiefs apparently
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Was it Reggie Wells? Thought they brought him in for a cup of coffee. Adrian Klemm? Tony Moll? Honestly, I can't think of any others that actually played in a game.
    Pretty sure Moll was a Packer draft choice as well. I'd forgotten about Klemm, he spent one season in GB. Pretty sure he had a few SB rings from his time in NE. No idea who Reggie Wells is!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Are you referring to some guy from the '40's or '50's that only you would remember?
    Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I don't think he actually played a game in GB, and he wasn't there very long. Might have been preseason only, or a couple weeks as a backup during the season. Might have just been in for a tryout too, when they had a bunch of injuries. All I remember is that at the time I looked into his background, and he had been in the league for 9, 10, 11 years; something like that. As I recall, he didn't have more than a handful of starts in his career, but seemed to find a home every year.

Sort of a Doug Pederson of offensive linemen.

Not a bad gig if you can get it. Never playing in a regular season game means less chance of injury. You could make more as that kind of NFL-scuffler in ten years than I'll make in thirty years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Not a bad gig if you can get it. Never playing in a regular season game means less chance of injury. You could make more as that kind of NFL-scuffler in ten years than I'll make in lifetime.
    FIFY
    --

Assuming Patler's mythological player was on the 53 and appeared in at least one game, it would be one of these guys. These are all the OL that played for the Packers from 2000-2010 and appeared in less than 10 games.

My spidey-sense is tingling though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shamrock Fan, who's pulled the wool over our eyes more than once, is snickering as we all run around after this. He's trying to convince us all that there's a Packer FACT he doesn't know and we're supposed to dig it up for him. Hmmm...

Code:

Bedell, Brad	T	Colorado	2004	4
    Brooks, Barrett	 T	Kansas State	2002	2
    Giacomini, Breno	T	Louisville	2008	1
    Spriggs, Marcus	T	Houston	2003	2
    Walter, Tyson	T/G	Ohio State	2006	5
    Wisne, Jerry	T	Notre Dame	2002	2
    Blackshear, Jeff	G	Northeast Louisiana	2002	1
    Jackson, Alcender	G	Louisiana State	2002	2
    Walter, Tyson	T/G	Ohio State	2006	5
    --