Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic McGinn--JS---"Packers should take Page out of Broncos Book"

Blog Entries

Classic McGinn--JS---"Packers should take Page out of Broncos Book"

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

It's a copycat league; McGinn is justifying his trip to NYC by cranking this stuff out. Haven't checked to see how many pieces he's written about SEA and how TT should copy their approach.

Polka Rat Starter
    I guess McGinn forgot about Jeff Saturday.

We had to know it was coming to this eventually.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

So we should let Clay Matthews go to the Ravens?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If Manning missed 8 games, Denver wouldn't have made the playoffs. Everything is gravy when the franchise QB stays on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So we should let Clay Matthews go to the Ravens?
    Does he or his agent have a fax machine?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    How did Seattle build its roster?

McGinn is right on one hand and chooses not to really look at the other hand.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Perhaps my old friend at the JSO forgets that the Packers have to play in the NFC and get by both San Francisco and Seattle to get to the Superbowl. Or perhaps he forgot that a fellow named Rodgers missed a number of games, ironically right after McGinn forwarded the thesis that the Packers would be just fin without him - perhaps much like the Colts after Manning was hurt. McGinn is too often engaging in two fatal flaws late in his esteemed career: 1) Bandwagon reporting - some successful team this year must be doing something better, so the Packers should consider their approach. 2) Blindly throwing darts at a 'topic' dartboard with only controversial/outrageous topics on it (the Skip Bayless stratagem) . Every once in a while you'll be right, but more often than not you will end up with bigger, stronger egg on your face.

did anyone actually read the fucking article? or anything past the first paragraph?

i like the idea

i think our over reliance on rookies and undrafted rookies to play key roles as backups is when has been hurting us. these guys aren't ready to play, its as simple as that

denver goes out and gets nfl vets for dirt cheap and signs them to one year deals to be backups. then if your starter goes down, you have someone with nfl experience to step in, you don't have some kid out there who doesn't know his head from his asshole.

I think McGinn has great resources, and I love the information that he posts that come from scouts, etc. However, he does tend to put out these head scratching articles. In the same article that he says the Packers should follow the Broncos path (they never will, whether they sign a FA or two this offseason or not), he glosses over the young team that the Broncos are playing in the Super Bowl--a team built by somebody who came from the Green Bay front office.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I stopped reading when McGinn praised them for overcoming injuries to 5 starters and a nickel back. Lets see them lose both starting Tackles and the nickel back before the first game. How about having them lose the quarterback for 8 games and their best OLB for a bunch, including the playoffs. Lets see them play defense without von miller and champ bailey (effectively what we were doing against SF). How about losing Eric Decker for most of the year (Cobb), then have Julius Thomas go down (Finley). For good measure lets remove their equivalent of JJones for a few games.

What we will get to see is how their offense works against a real defense (with all their weapons healthy)....something we had to do without the tackles or Finley.

Yea, we should consider the denver model...of staying healthy.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    did anyone actually read the fucking article? or anything past the first paragraph?

i like the idea

i think our over reliance on rookies and undrafted rookies to play key roles as backups is when has been hurting us. these guys aren't ready to play, its as simple as that

denver goes out and gets nfl vets for dirt cheap and signs them to one year deals to be backups. then if your starter goes down, you have someone with nfl experience to step in, you don't have some kid out there who doesn't know his head from his asshole.
    We've gotten plenty of dirt cheap FAs, but they rarely work out. I'm okay with opening the purse strings a little to find a veteran safety. Otherwise, I like the approach TT takes. I think we are a safety, another dynamic front seven player, and some good health away from being near the top of the list of contenders again.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I think McGinn has great resources, and I love the information that he posts that come from scouts, etc. However, he does tend to put out these head scratching articles. In the same article that he says the Packers should follow the Broncos path (they never will, whether they sign a FA or two this offseason or not), he glosses over the young team that the Broncos are playing in the Super Bowl--a team built by somebody who came from the Green Bay front office.
    and that young team in seattle signed a couple a vets to 1(bennett) and 2 (avril) year deals this season and those 2 guys have been huge contributors for them. so the seahawks also took a "page out of the broncos book" if you will

we had the cap space where we could have sprinkled in a some free agent vets like the broncos did with shawn phillips for a million bucks (12 sacks) or seattle did with bennett (5 million for 1 year)

we need experience on this team, we need guys that can show all these 21 and 22 year olds how to practice and prepare for games and play at an nfl level when he gets on the field

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

i like the idea

yes, I did read the article, and it struck me that the signing of cheap vet FA's is exactly what so many Packer fans have been bitching about Ted doing in his career here. Ted scours the bottom of the FA barrel, signs vets to the minimum or close to it, and brings them to camp while everybody bitches that he isn't signing the big-name guys.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Are there 30 newspapers around the country with this same article and we just don't read them? Or is the Urinal Scented the only one that posts contrived, simple articles?

They did a thing that worked. Other teams should do that to. All 32 teams should be in the Superbowl every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    yes, I did read the article, and it struck me that the signing of cheap vet FA's is exactly what so many Packer fans have been bitching about Ted doing in his career here. Ted scours the bottom of the FA barrel, signs vets to the minimum or close to it, and brings them to camp while everybody bitches that he isn't signing the big-name guys.
    like who saturday? thats 1 guy in the last 5 years.

i'm not talking about signing undrafted rookies or bottom of the roster fodder from other teams. i'm talking about vets that have actual playing and starting experience in the nfl

we tried it with saturday, we tried it with klemm, we tried it with o'dwyer. those guys unfortunately didn't work out, but none of them cost us a ton of money to try out

I wonder what the hit rate is for retread veterans. For every Shawn Phillips and his 12 sacks for $1MM, how many are complete failures?

I think cheap veterans are worth a shot, but they more often than not don't work out: a la Mulligan or whatever that TE's name was.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I wonder what the hit rate is for retread veterans. For every Shawn Phillips and his 12 sacks for $1MM, how many are complete failures?

I think cheap veterans are worth a shot, but they more often than not don't work out: a la Mulligan or whatever that TE's name was.
    Phillips can be an indifferent pass rusher, that's part of the reason SD let him go. However, Denver's offense has set him up for success by scoring at a prolific rate and forcing a lot of opponents to pass.

One thing McGinn fails to consider is that EVERY FA pickup the Packer made looked good in 2010 when teams abandoned the run often versus the Packers, letting the pass rushers and ball hawkers in the secondary play to their strengths.

This does not always work, as evidenced by the League record worst D the Packers played while the offense was setting its own scoring records in 2011. But just as key injuries can torpedo a D, a key FA might also be limited in exactly the correct way (Howard Green) to serve a limited role with a Super Bowl winning team.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    Perhaps my old friend at the JSO forgets that the Packers have to play in the NFC and get by both San Francisco and Seattle to get to the Superbowl. Or perhaps he forgot that a fellow named Rodgers missed a number of games, ironically right after McGinn forwarded the thesis that the Packers would be just fin without him - perhaps much like the Colts after Manning was hurt. McGinn is too often engaging in two fatal flaws late in his esteemed career: 1) Bandwagon reporting - some successful team this year must be doing something better, so the Packers should consider their approach. 2) Blindly throwing darts at a 'topic' dartboard with only controversial/outrageous topics on it (the Skip Bayless stratagem) . Every once in a while you'll be right, but more often than not you will end up with bigger, stronger egg on your face.
    Whatever Bob McGinn writes is moot.

The GM of the Green Bay Packers is .... Ted Thompson.

The Head coach of the Green Bay Packers is .... Mike McCarthy.

They regularly enjoy this song :

** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau