Thread: Take this job...

Take this job...

Just curious, I've heard stories of grand corporate exits before. I'm looking for some killer inspiration while I look for a job to replace the one I still have. Give me your best shot!
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    OK. That's the last straw..I could...set... the building on fire...

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I'm starting to thing that just giving notice without any detail might be the best way to go. I don't HAVE to tell them where I'm going...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    I'm starting to thing that just giving notice without any detail might be the best way to go. I don't HAVE to tell them where I'm going...
    as long as you don't need them as references

Just curious, I've heard stories of grand corporate exits before. I'm looking for some killer inspiration while I look for a job to replace the one I still have. Give me your best shot!
    I have always tried to leave every employer on the very best terms possible. It is amazing how many times someone connected to your distant past appears in your future, and I want them as friends, not enemies. I recently had dealings with a guy who succeeded me, one person removed, at the single worst place I ever worked. when we realized the connection, we hit it off well, because he said my previous employer spoke highly of me. Had I vented my anger when I left, I might have undermined a deal 35 years in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    as long as you don't need them as references
    I can't use them as references anyway because they don't know I'm looking for another job. I've heard people have gotten fired for looking. Right now, I'm just trying to get my references put together and draft a genius cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I have always tried to leave every employer on the very best terms possible. It is amazing how many times someone connected to your distant past appears in your future, and I want them as friends, not enemies. I recently had dealings with a guy who succeeded me, one person removed, at the single worst place I ever worked. when we realized the connection, we hit it off well, because he said my previous employer spoke highly of me. Had I vented my anger when I left, I might have undermined a deal 35 years in my future.
    Hear you loud and clear. There's a guy I know and we've followed each other around for going on 20 years now. He was a junior engineer when I first met him (and IMO, not a very good one). I've come across him 2-3 more times at different companies as he moved up the ladder, the last being with him as the plant manager for a new autoparts plant being set up!

Tough question Ziggy, and ask yourself what you stand to gain? Most likely nothing but a bit of grim satisfaction, which in the long run is probably not worth it. I've seen people leave jobs because 'it was the worst place ever!!!!' only to find out they got out of the frying pan and into the fire. You may not envision yourself going back, but never say never. Give them a good, honest exit interview, and move on in a professional manner.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Give them a good, honest exit interview, and move on in a professional manner.
    And follow it up with a written letter, cc'ed to the appropriate people. The last thing you want is to have others define for the organization (usually for their own self-interest/survival) the reasons you left. I'm dealing with a lady who is bolting and the admin. is trying to say she was 'lonely' - and she's furious - so she's doing the whole exit interview and letter to make sure they know her actual reasons. But yeah, you have to be careful - some of those bridges you might burn could strand someone you like on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'm dealing with a lady who is bolting and the admin. is trying to say she was 'lonely' - .
    What does she look like?
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Just watch "Office Space".
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

And for the record, I wasn't actually planning on DOING any of it, just looking for some outrageous stories through which to live vicariously...

And for the record, I wasn't actually planning on DOING any of it, just looking for some outrageous stories through which to live vicariously...
    kinda like my high school gf.

Wasn't planning on it, but gave my notice to my first full time employer on April Fool's Day. Suffice it to say my employer didn't think it was too funny.

The only other full time job I quit from I was actually planning on freelancing my graphic design full time instead of part time, which is what I told my employer (even though one of the owners was such a bipolar control freak that pushed me over the edge). After I gave my notice, a friend of mine had an opening and I started working just down the street from old employer.

Have to agree re: leaving on best terms possible. I feel regardless of the situation it's best to be civil, but honest during exit interviews. My wife did that for a logistics firm she worked for. She was honest (especially on how she felt she was treated by mgmt.), didn't have a job lined up when she gave her notice, but had 2 interviews before she finished her last day last week. Now she started her new job today.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Congrats to your wife!

"Most" places say to lie your ass off in an exit interview to paint a picture of happiness and simply leaving for a better opportunity. I say "most" because I've read it in a few places but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Exactly Patler and look here;

This disgruntled employee got so carried away with it all he ruined the clean crisp and fresh mountain air. Jeb demonstrated a certain deviance; a total disrespect for his fellow townspeople, family / friends and acquaintances.

How in heck was anyone going to get down to Joe's Variety for a treat that evening or maybe get milk and bread.

I say throw the book at him....before he burns that too.

We all share any failure. People need to get over themselves as a final and huge step in knowing LIFE.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 03-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Wasn't planning on it, but gave my notice to my first full time employer on April Fool's Day. Suffice it to say my employer didn't think it was too funny.

The only other full time job I quit from I was actually planning on freelancing my graphic design full time instead of part time, which is what I told my employer (even though one of the owners was such a bipolar control freak that pushed me over the edge). After I gave my notice, a friend of mine had an opening and I started working just down the street from old employer.

Have to agree re: leaving on best terms possible. I feel regardless of the situation it's best to be civil, but honest during exit interviews. My wife did that for a logistics firm she worked for. She was honest (especially on how she felt she was treated by mgmt.), didn't have a job lined up when she gave her notice, but had 2 interviews before she finished her last day last week. Now she started her new job today.
    Reading that I see good news and you digitaldean.

Nice turn around. I'm happy for you.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

how's the job these days?