Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Green Bay Packers 7 Round Mock Draft

Brandon, nice job, although I'd argue that some of the picks feel a bit early for me.
    Wasn't sold on Niklas...especially at 35 and with guys like Amaro and Fiedorwzxqz likely still on the board, but I think he has more upside. They'd have to sign a vet like Quarless for sure though -- I think Niklas isn't ready to step into a starter's lineup. Also skeptical about Boyd; I think there will be other WRs there with a lot less baggage. Looks like he has good hands, but running a 4.7+ 40 means he's almost as slow as Niklas.

I really like the idea of trading with CLE.
    For fun, I'll throw out
    35. Jordan Matthews, WR
    53. Troy Niklas, TE
    71. DaQuan Jones, DT
    85. Terrence Brooks, S
    R3 Comp Christian Jones, LB
    TT trades the rest of his picks for the entire 7th round, drafts a bunch of OTs so CampenSlocum can convert them to Guard/Punter, and re-signs Shields, Pickett, Kuhn, Jolly and Lattimore. Raji, JJ, Finley, CJ Wilson, Francois, et. al., are not retained. EDS is kept if he gets a Garza/Raiola type of deal.

Troy Niklas is rated higher then both the TEs you mentioned though. He also has the NFL bloodline...Clay Matthew is his cousin who some also thought couldn't step into a starters role right away.

Also don't focus so much on 40 times for WRs...Boykin had a 4.7 40 time. I like your picks especially Jordan Matthews but I don't think we would take two offensive players first with our current defense unless we make some changes in FA.

i'm not a fan of any players from ND, they always seemed to be more hype then substance and most turn out to be flops in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Troy Niklas is rated higher then both the TEs you mentioned though. He also has the NFL bloodline...Clay Matthew is his cousin who some also thought couldn't step into a starters role right away.

Also don't focus so much on 40 times for WRs...Boykin had a 4.7 40 time. I like your picks especially Jordan Matthews but I don't think we would take two offensive players first with our current defense unless we make some changes in FA.
    Very true. 40 times are helpful to gauge downfield speed...personally, I'm more interested in whether they can run a route, get separation, and catch the ball with their hands (not body). I like Matthews because of his size, and production in the SEC. Familiarity with a Rodgers (Jordan) and the bloodlines (Jerry Rice) don't hurt.

As for Niklas, I didn't like him at first but I think with a year or two of good coaching he could be a good one. I don't think he'll be the best of them next year but in Year 3 he could be pretty darn good. He's a project and a risk, and I'm skeptical TT goes that route. I do think he'll fill out the DLine and probably add an interior OL unless they keep EDS or think Barclay can do it. All the rumblings indicate they really like Tretter, they'll need someone else to play C-G. They are also talking about a QB (JSO was pumping David Fales, FWIW) and I like your Matthews suggestion.

One of the mocks someone threw out here had Devon Kennard and DeAndre Coleman in the R4/5...thought those were pretty good picks as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Neal gets a Waldenesque offer and they have to add an OLB.

I think TT will draft players that I didn't see coming but will make sense in hindsight. I also think taking offense with one of their first 3 picks is likely. (Don't think it will be QB, RB, or OT though.)

BTW if I didn't mention it, nice work. I appreciate it when posters put time into a good read.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    BTW if I didn't mention it, nice work. I appreciate it when posters put time into a good read.
    ditto...an outstanding effort Brandon 494.

To get that done so soon is also a testament to your preparation. Your knowledge of the college game.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I think Marqueston Huff would be a reach as a second pick. I think there would be better rated talent, even at his position, at that point of the draft. I like the balance of offense and defense that you chose. I was waiting for an impact DL. I'm sure the Packers will address the DL, I'm just not sure how.

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Our Defense doesn't want an impact DT. Look at Raji. Dude has the skills to be a pass disrupter but instead they ask him to be a hole plugger. They don't want DT's who have the ability to close the pocket. They wan't DT's that will hold the line for the run defense. And for that, all you need is some 350 # fatty. We can pick up two of those in the undrafted range.
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Blog Entries
    I'll join the chorus on this one.

That is one king hell job, Brandon.

If we do a deal with Cleve, should we get more than a 2-3?

Mebbe a 1-3?

I don't know, I just wanna get in an argument over something football related.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I'll join the chorus on this one.

That is one king hell job, Brandon.

If we do a deal with Cleve, should we get more than a 2-3?

Mebbe a 1-3?

I don't know, I just wanna get in an argument over something football related.
    Maybe if a good player drops to us and they really want to move up to get him.

Last year the Cowboys traded 18 to SF for a 31 and a 74. That's about what Brandon had the Browns giving up for our 21. Seems about right. If we wanted their 26 overall, we'd probably get their 4th rounder (#83 - from Pittsburgh) instead of their #71.

The Packers come out way ahead on the Harvard chart either way, in case anyone cares about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeefers View Post
    Our Defense doesn't want an impact DT. Look at Raji. Dude has the skills to be a pass disrupter but instead they ask him to be a hole plugger. They don't want DT's who have the ability to close the pocket. They wan't DT's that will hold the line for the run defense. And for that, all you need is some 350 # fatty. We can pick up two of those in the undrafted range.
    I don't doubt that TT can pick up talent anywhere. I think you greatly discount the skill set and talent needed to be a plugger to say you can find an undrafted fatty to do the job. I'm sure they drafted Raji at #9 overall because they thought he cold both provide some pass rush and be a plugger as you described. His problem wasn't that he was "mis-cast", he either wasn't talented enough to be a hold the point of attack guy, which means Green Bay missed on their projection of him, or he was good at in his first years and then lost production later, which means his skills are deteriorating. You'd think if you draft a guy #9 overall that he could be both a plugger and provide some pass rush. It just wasn't consistent enough.

It may not be a glamorous job, but it's important. Look at how exposed our defense gets when people like Raji can't hold the point of attack. We need run stuffers. It's all predicated on stopping the run and winning the down and distance battle. Otherwise, the defense is on their heels consistently. So, whether it's some "undrafted fatty" or a first round draft pick, what I hope for the Packers is that they fix the leaky defensive line so that their linebackers can shine. The pluggers/point of attack holders are the catalyst for the 3-4.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 03-02-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I don't doubt that TT can pick up talent anywhere. I think you greatly discount the skill set and talent needed to be a plugger to say you can find an undrafted fatty to do the job. I'm sure they drafted Raji at #9 overall because they thought he cold both provide some pass rush and be a plugger as you described. His problem wasn't that he was "mis-cast", he either wasn't talented enough to be a hold the point of attack guy, which means Green Bay missed on their projection of him, or he was good at in his first years and then lost production later, which means his skills are deteriorating. You'd think if you draft a guy #9 overall that he could be both a plugger and provide some pass rush. It just wasn't consistent enough.

It may not be a glamorous job, but it's important. Look at how exposed our defense gets when people like Raji can't hold the point of attack. We need run stuffers. It's all predicated on stopping the run and winning the down and distance battle. Otherwise, the defense is on their heels consistently. So, whether it's some "undrafted fatty" or a first round draft pick, what I hope for the Packers is that they fix the leaky defensive line so that their linebackers can shine. The pluggers/point of attack holders are the catalyst for the 3-4.
    I did discount the skill set. Sorry. I get depressed this time of year because everyone talks about the guys TT might go out and pick up but in reality... well.. we all know that he's not getting anyone and that makes me sad. This is going to be the first time in a long time where I think the pack won't be able to sustain the loss we'll incur at free agency and we'll actually get worse. I agree with everything you said. It sounds like something I would say actually.
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

The Packers have invested a ton of high draft picks and money in the front seven - of course we rarely play seven in the front, so it's really the front six.

Raji, Perry, Jones, Matthews, and Hawk were all 1st round picks; Worthy and Neal were 2nd's; Daniels was a 4th; Pickett was a former #1; and they thru wasted $millions at Brad Jones.

That's 10 players who were high draft picks or overpaid playing in our defensive front - and yet we're garbage, and have been for 3 years running.

I'm not the only one pointing out that, with the exception of Matthews, all of those guys have been misused - especially Raji. I said a couple of years ago that if I were Raji, I'd just play out my contract and beat a hasty trail out of town as soon as I could.

Everyone knew when Raji came out that he wasn't a 2-gap player. His strength was penetration, and on the move, he was a load and difference maker who had to be accounted for. After his second year, Capers stopped using him that way, and his career tanked. His career tanked, and our defense tanked.

Either TT sucks at evaluating defensive talent - and I do think the Packers as an organization are dismal evaluators of defensive talent - or Capers is a complete idiot... which he obviously is.

I put almost all of the blame on Capers. I'm happy for Raji that he is leaving for greener pastures - as I'm happy for Mike Neal and Sam Shields. All 3 of those players should get pretty decent contracts and be much more productive with other teams.
    wist

I did discount the skill set. Sorry. I get depressed this time of year because everyone talks about the guys TT might go out and pick up but in reality... well.. we all know that he's not getting anyone and that makes me sad. This is going to be the first time in a long time where I think the pack won't be able to sustain the loss we'll incur at free agency and we'll actually get worse. I agree with everything you said. It sounds like something I would say actually.
    It's all good. We as Packer fans all want the same thing. I think we want proof that the team is trying to move toward improving the short-comings, the most obvious being defense. It will be interesting to see what they do. I would love nothing better than to have less complaining about the defense.

thats what i've been saying. i don't know about undrafted range, but mid to later rounds at least

look at our best 3-4 guys over the years

pickett, was a first round pick, but not for us, infact he was a considered a bust in st louis before moving here
    cullen jenkins- undrafted
    jolly- 6th round
    boyd- 5th round
    cj wilson- 7th round
    mike daniels- 4th round

guys who haven't done so well or haven't shown mush yet on the d-line

raji- top 10 pick
    neal- 2nd round
    worthy- 2nd round
    datone- 1st round

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    The Packers have invested a ton of high draft picks and money in the front seven - of course we rarely play seven in the front, so it's really the front six.

Raji, Perry, Jones, Matthews, and Hawk were all 1st round picks; Worthy and Neal were 2nd's; Daniels was a 4th; Pickett was a former #1; and they thru wasted $millions at Brad Jones.

That's 10 players who were high draft picks or overpaid playing in our defensive front - and yet we're garbage, and have been for 3 years running.

I'm not the only one pointing out that, with the exception of Matthews, all of those guys have been misused - especially Raji. I said a couple of years ago that if I were Raji, I'd just play out my contract and beat a hasty trail out of town as soon as I could.

Everyone knew when Raji came out that he wasn't a 2-gap player. His strength was penetration, and on the move, he was a load and difference maker who had to be accounted for. After his second year, Capers stopped using him that way, and his career tanked. His career tanked, and our defense tanked.

Either TT sucks at evaluating defensive talent - and I do think the Packers as an organization are dismal evaluators of defensive talent - or Capers is a complete idiot... which he obviously is.

I put almost all of the blame on Capers. I'm happy for Raji that he is leaving for greener pastures - as I'm happy for Mike Neal and Sam Shields. All 3 of those players should get pretty decent contracts and be much more productive with other teams.
    We're all frustrated by the lack of bottom line success with the defense. You've been pretty consistent in blaming Capers for most of the Packers defensive woes. Time will tell if the players you predict will leave are so talented that once they can show their ability outside of Capers system that they will show how much more productive they could be.

I don't know if you agree, but I also look at what the players bring to the table. If a player is so good, then their talent will not hide in a system. Their talent will not hide in one on one battles. Good players "overcome" or transcend scheme. Average or system players may depend on it. To me, if some of these guy were so good, it would show out more consistently in one on one, or open field. That you can't lay at the feet of Capers.

It does no good to blame Capers anyway. They are obviously choosing to stick with him, not seeing him as the problem. I'm sure he feels the pressure. Anyone choosing to do what they do for a living must have a lot of pride in doing a good job. Blaming never really fixed anything. That said, I think the patience for bottom line success is shorter with each passing year, and next year may be his last if the Packers don't make strides, healthy or not. I hope he can finally take what TT brings him, has brought him, leaves him with, and can shape it into a competitive defense to complement our offense.

It seems obvious now, but hasn't always been, McCarthy is the ideal coordinator to work with Ted and draft and develop. When Ted pans out a future All-Pro in the seventh, you don't know what specialty the kid will have. M3 tends to plug him in and adjust on the fly.

Capers on the other hand is a product of the unique Steelers structure, where the personnel guys, while in charge of the draft, are not in charge of the kind of player they are looking for or the choice of coach. The odd structure of their personnel front office (they had never had a GM until Colbert got a promotion in the last two years) and battles between HCs and VP of Personnel types were features, not bugs.

So this year we might finally see whether McCarthy can teach Capers to Be Like Mike and use all available talent, even if that means lining up with 7 LBs on the field.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    thats what i've been saying. i don't know about undrafted range, but mid to later rounds at least

look at our best 3-4 guys over the years

pickett, was a first round pick, but not for us, infact he was a considered a bust in st louis before moving here
    cullen jenkins- undrafted
    jolly- 6th round
    boyd- 5th round
    cj wilson- 7th round
    mike daniels- 4th round

guys who haven't done so well or haven't shown mush yet on the d-line

raji- top 10 pick
    neal- 2nd round
    worthy- 2nd round
    datone- 1st round
    When you list Wilson (who barely suited up) as a "best" guy and you list Raji (who plays a ton of snaps) as "haven't done so well" you lose a lot of credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    It seems obvious now, but hasn't always been, McCarthy is the ideal coordinator to work with Ted and draft and develop. When Ted pans out a future All-Pro in the seventh, you don't know what specialty the kid will have. M3 tends to plug him in and adjust on the fly.

Capers on the other hand is a product of the unique Steelers structure, where the personnel guys, while in charge of the draft, are not in charge of the kind of player they are looking for or the choice of coach. The odd structure of their personnel front office (they had never had a GM until Colbert got a promotion in the last two years) and battles between HCs and VP of Personnel types were features, not bugs.

So this year we might finally see whether McCarthy can teach Capers to Be Like Mike and use all available talent, even if that means lining up with 7 LBs on the field.
    I am starting to question Dom's committment/work ethic. His history of starting out gangbusters then stinking up the joint screams complacency.