Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Peppers a Packer

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'm sure this was important to Thompson.
    Oh yeah great point. That's awesome.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I like this signing well enough. I almost love it, just because of how amazingly cap friendly it is.

Not sure what he has left in the tank, but I think the biggest thing the signing does for us is from a team-motivating standpoint in the first place. Not as great a motivator as Charles Woodson, but an approximation of that. You can bet that Mike Daniels, Mike Neal, CM3, etc... are all pumped about this.

That's good enough for me, even if the guy wasn't high on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Packers signed Julius Peppers, formerly of the Bears, to a three-year, $30 million deal.

The deal includes $7.5 million guaranteed.
    Wow ! That surprises me.

That's much bigger money than I expected TT would pay for a player of Julius Peppers age.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Packers signed Julius Peppers, formerly of the Bears, to a three-year, $30 million deal.

The deal includes $7.5 million guaranteed.
    That's more than I expected. Hopefully the third year is inflated.
    Go PACK

Peppers has definitely been durable. He's only missed 6 games in his 12 year career. We'll see if the Packer training staff can fix that glaring issue.

I don't get it - how in the bloody fuck is he going to be used??

Seriously, if anyone can enlighten me as to Spraypaintedhair's evil plan - I'm all ears.

Since 2-4 is our most often used alignment - is Peppers going to be one of the DT's?? I assume Peppers and Daniels. If that is the case, the flaw in that thinking is that Hawk and B. Jones are still on the field - 2 very substandard players... not to mention the mess at Safety.

I would not have signed anyone new to the front 6/7... it's a waste of money. Another player for Spraypaintedhair to misuse.

If I was going to spend money in this FA period, I would have gone after Byrd or Ward - and actually solve an obvious disaster position. Next I would have looked at replacing either, or both, of Hawk and B. Jones.

I don't get this at all.
    wist

Mike Daniels ‏@Mike_Daniels76 4m

Looking forward to line up next to/learn from one of the best pass rushers, Julius Peppers #SackTime Still complaining about free agency??
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

well, that was unexpected

wow

lets hope the old guy can still play

i think we're more of a 4-3 team right now then a 3-4

we still need a fucking safety, or its all for nothing imo

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I don't get it - how in the bloody fuck is he going to be used??

Seriously, if anyone can enlighten me as to Spraypaintedhair's evil plan - I'm all ears.

Since 2-4 is our most often used alignment - is Peppers going to be one of the DT's?? I assume Peppers and Daniels. If that is the case, the flaw in that thinking is that Hawk and B. Jones are still on the field - 2 very substandard players... not to mention the mess at Safety.

I would not have signed anyone new to the front 6/7... it's a waste of money. Another player for Spraypaintedhair to misuse.

If I was going to spend money in this FA period, I would have gone after Byrd or Ward - and actually solve an obvious disaster position. Next I would have looked at replacing either, or both, of Hawk and B. Jones.

I don't get this at all.
    I honestly don't know. I imagine the player he'll displace the most often though is Perry. Peppers is an edge rusher.

The fact that I don't automatically know how the front 7 is going to look excites me because I don't have the hubris to think I know personnel better than Ted's team or NFL defenses as well as Dom's team.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 03-15-2014 at 09:46 AM.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this. I think Peppers still has some games left in him. He showed it at times last year, so that is interesting. But, I listen to Chicago sports radio somewhat regularly, and they absolutely blasted Peppers' effort and attitude after most games last season. They especially criticized his effort the last part of the season when they said it was the veterans time to step forward, and he didn't.

When Peppers came to Chicago, no one questioned his ability/talent, but there were questions about his attitude. I don't see a leader on the Packer "D" who might get Peppers best out of him. If there was a White or Woodson, I would like it more.

This makes me want Pickett back, who they say has a very strong locker room presence.

All in all, I like the move, because there is not much downside to it. Could work out great, but if it doesn't, the team can move on without him.
    Last edited by Patler; 03-15-2014 at 09:56 AM.

great line in the pft comment section

Raji and Peppers? Fat, old, and slow is no way to upgrade your defense, son

his agent says the deal is worth "UP TO" 30 million over three years

expect lots of incentives

his first year take home is 8.5 million, expect some of that to be a signing bonus, so his cap number for this year could be in the 5 million dollar range (give or take a million)

thats not as bad as it first appeared , and something i might be able to live with

Seems like a recipe for success here. Year to year rental and where Pepper's isn't expected to be an every down player. Situationally, it's hard not to get excited about him putting his ears back and rushing the QB. I would think that alone would due wonders for his motivation where he doesn't have to grind out two possible run downs and sticking to lane assignment only to finally then be able to pull out all his tricks. If he truly has little left in the tank then it's a low cost risk given the cap money we have.

Excited to see who this pans out.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    But, I listen to Chicago sports radio somewhat regularly, and they absolutely blasted Peppers' effort and attitude after most games last season. They especially criticized his effort the last part of the season when they said it was the veterans time to step forward, and he didn't.
    The thing is Patler, I've been listening to Chicago sports radio for 20+ years and I'm still waiting to hear the first intelligent thing come from it. I listen to it purely for the comedic value. 670 The Score never fails or disappoints me when I need a good laugh that's for sure.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 03-15-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm somewhat ambivalent about this. I think Peppers still has some games left in him. He showed it at times last year, so that is interesting. But, I listen to Chicago sports radio somewhat regularly, and they absolutely blasted Peppers' effort and attitude after most games last season. They especially criticized his effort the last part of the season when they said it was the veterans time to step forward, and he didn't.

When Peppers came to Chicago, no one questioned his ability/talent, but there were questions about his attitude. I don't see a leader on the Packer "D" who might get Peppers best out of him. If there was a White or Woodson, I would like it more.

This makes me want Pickett back, who they say has a very strong locker room presence.

All in all, I like the move, because there is not much downside to it. Could work out great, but if it doesn't, the team can move on without him.
    Hopefully winning stokes his fire. When the Bears won the division in 2010 he was a beast. He certainly wasn't lacking effort in the NFCC. Also you know you'll get his best twice a year vs the Bears

it really isn't a bad gamble to take when we're sitting on so much cap space

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    his agent says the deal is worth "UP TO" 30 million over three years

expect lots of incentives

his first year take home is 8.5 million, expect some of that to be a signing bonus, so his cap number for this year could be in the 5 million dollar range (give or take a million)

thats not as bad as it first appeared , and something i might be able to live with
    According to what I saw Red the first year cap number is only around 3.5M so that's a pretty friendly deal.

Yeah at worst I'm gathering this is a 8.5M rental.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    According to what I saw Red the first year cap number is only around 3.5M so that's a pretty friendly deal.
    oh, then this is a no brainer signing imo

good move