Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Peppers a Packer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Last year they used Jones and Neal. Why not throw Peppers in there instead of D. Jones for a handful of plays/game, especially if D. Jones takes longer to develop?

In answer to KY's question, you will get the aggressive, fresh Peppers (Fresh Peppers, get it?), who will come in for a handful of plays and be a beast. We got the Episode VI Darth Vader. He's freaking scary, but he's not as invincible as in Episode V: If he gets electrocuted and has to fight too long he will be defeated - and turn away from the dark side.
    This looks right to me. I think they are going to pay him to be a guy they put on the field when they absolutely need to harass a QB. And if the other team decides to run on that front, Peppers will be fine handling that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Woke up to this news like it was Xmas morning!

Dom's D is gonna be very interesting to watch moving forward. A motivated Peppers who situationally rushes the QB and harasses Cutler to no end is just what the doctor ordered in this D.

Anyone have a breakdown of Peppers play in 2013 from PFF? I'll be interested to see his production vs run and vs pass. He sure still looked like a beast against the packers that's for damn sure.
    "In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey."

Blog Entries
    Last year they used Jones and Neal. Why not throw Peppers in there instead of D. Jones for a handful of plays/game, especially if D. Jones takes longer to develop?

In answer to KY's question, you will get the aggressive, fresh Peppers (Fresh Peppers, get it?), who will come in for a handful of plays and be a beast. We got the Episode VI Darth Vader. He's freaking scary, but he's not as invincible as in Episode V: If he gets electrocuted and has to fight too long he will be defeated - and turn away from the dark side.
    Good.

Thanks, Rand I was worried about that.

After seeing a guy at his age improve radically during the year (I think I caught 3 Bears games last season), I couldn't help but wonder if he didn't have some physical miseries at the start of last season. A vet like him is pretty motivated in his contract year, I think he was hobbled by something early in the season.

I expect Peppers will be used as a down lineman in the 2-4, and some spot duty when they go to 3 down linemen - which of course isn't often.

Given what we have now - here's how I would build the defensive packages with the players we have... Of course the 2-4 is history - never to rear its ugly head again (sadly, we're stuck with it).

Here's how I would address the front seven -

Base?? We almost can't even go to a 3-4 base with the personnel we have. We could play 3-4 with Raji and Boyd rotating at NT, and Peppers/Boyd/D. Jones/Jolly rotating at DE, but that would be a waste of Peppers and Jones. We need another CJ Wilson and Johnny Jolly type to be able to play base 3-4.

We could also play some 4-3 base with any one of Peppers/Perry at RDE, Raji/Daniels/Worthy/Jolly at DT, and D. Jones/Perry at LDE. The OLB's would be Matthews and Neal, and the MLB would be Hawk/Jones.

Nickel -

As I said, absolutely not a sniff of the 2-4.

My first nickel package would be a 3-3 subpackage with Peppers, Daniels, and D. Jones across the line; Matthews at ROLB; Neal at LOLB; and Hawk/Jones at ILB depending on the game plan and offensive personnel.

Out of that I would find ways to get Mulumba on the field, and Hawk/Jones off the field.

I would rotate Perry with Peppers and D.Jones to keep everyone fresh and interested, and occassionly offer up a 4 downlineman look with all of my pass rushers, i.e. go to a 4-2 with Matthews and Neal defending the 2nd level, along with Hyde or whichever DB is inserted as the nickelback.

I would shift the 3 down linemen to address any possibility of the run, and attack the weakest links on the OL. I would constantly be running stunts up front, and if I'm planning a zone blitz I would bring Mulumba up the middle.

Dime -

My first dime look would be a 3-2, with the same DL rotated as noted above, with Matthews and Neal at LB. Depending on the opponent, I would have either a coverage dime (more man) or a zone dime, and the personnel for that look would have to be worked out in camp.

That's how I would approach it with what we have now...

As it is, we all know we're going to get another shit ton of 2-4.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Here's how I would address the front seven -

Base?? We almost can't even go to a 3-4 base with the personnel we have. We could play 3-4 with Raji and Boyd rotating at NT, and Peppers/Boyd/D. Jones/Jolly rotating at DE, but that would be a waste of Peppers and Jones. We need another CJ Wilson and Johnny Jolly type to be able to play base 3-4.

We could also play some 4-3 base with any one of Peppers/Perry at RDE, Raji/Daniels/Worthy/Jolly at DT, and D. Jones/Perry at LDE. The OLB's would be Matthews and Neal, and the MLB would be Hawk/Jones.

Nickel -

As I said, absolutely not a sniff of the 2-4.

My first nickel package would be a 3-3 subpackage with Peppers, Daniels, and D. Jones across the line; Matthews at ROLB; Neal at LOLB; and Hawk/Jones at ILB depending on the game plan and offensive personnel.

Out of that I would find ways to get Mulumba on the field, and Hawk/Jones off the field.

I would rotate Perry with Peppers and D.Jones to keep everyone fresh and interested, and occassionly offer up a 4 downlineman look with all of my pass rushers, i.e. go to a 4-2 with Matthews and Neal defending the 2nd level, along with Hyde or whichever DB is inserted as the nickelback.

I would shift the 3 down linemen to address any possibility of the run, and attack the weakest links on the OL. I would constantly be running stunts up front, and if I'm planning a zone blitz I would bring Mulumba up the middle.

Dime -

My first dime look would be a 3-2, with the same DL rotated as noted above, with Matthews and Neal at LB. Depending on the opponent, I would have either a coverage dime (more man) or a zone dime, and the personnel for that look would have to be worked out in camp.

That's how I would approach it with what we have now...

As it is, we all know we're going to get another shit ton of 2-4.
    I like your 4-3 base and 3-3 nickel, especially with CJ Mosley at ILB. Still need a safety. Hoping it is Hyde, an improved Richardson/Banjo, or rookie phenom.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I don't get it - how in the bloody fuck is he going to be used??

Seriously, if anyone can enlighten me as to Spraypaintedhair's evil plan - I'm all ears.

Since 2-4 is our most often used alignment - is Peppers going to be one of the DT's?? I assume Peppers and Daniels. If that is the case, the flaw in that thinking is that Hawk and B. Jones are still on the field - 2 very substandard players... not to mention the mess at Safety.

I would not have signed anyone new to the front 6/7... it's a waste of money. Another player for Spraypaintedhair to misuse.

If I was going to spend money in this FA period, I would have gone after Byrd or Ward - and actually solve an obvious disaster position. Next I would have looked at replacing either, or both, of Hawk and B. Jones.

I don't get this at all.
    Here ya go PB.

Mike Daniels ‏@Mike_Daniels76 4m

Looking forward to line up next to/learn from one of the best pass rushers, Julius Peppers #SackTime Still complaining about free agency??
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

i think we're more of a 4-3 team right now then a 3-4

we still need a fucking safety, or its all for nothing imo

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this. I think Peppers still has some games left in him. He showed it at times last year, so that is interesting. But, I listen to Chicago sports radio somewhat regularly, and they absolutely blasted Peppers' effort and attitude after most games last season. They especially criticized his effort the last part of the season when they said it was the veterans time to step forward, and he didn't.

When Peppers came to Chicago, no one questioned his ability/talent, but there were questions about his attitude. I don't see a leader on the Packer "D" who might get Peppers best out of him. If there was a White or Woodson, I would like it more.

This makes me want Pickett back, who they say has a very strong locker room presence.

All in all, I like the move, because there is not much downside to it. Could work out great, but if it doesn't, the team can move on without him.
    Last edited by Patler; 03-15-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    But, I listen to Chicago sports radio somewhat regularly, and they absolutely blasted Peppers' effort and attitude after most games last season. They especially criticized his effort the last part of the season when they said it was the veterans time to step forward, and he didn't.
    The thing is Patler, I've been listening to Chicago sports radio for 20+ years and I'm still waiting to hear the first intelligent thing come from it. I listen to it purely for the comedic value. 670 The Score never fails or disappoints me when I need a good laugh that's for sure.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 03-15-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    The thing is Patler, I've been listening to Chicago sports radio for 20+ years and I'm still waiting to hear the first intelligent thing come from it. I listen to it purely for the comedic value. 670 The Score never fails to disappoint me when I need a good laugh that's for sure.
    Ya, there is that, too!

Ground Rat
    The thing is Patler, I've been listening to Chicago sports radio for 20+ years and I'm still waiting to hear the first intelligent thing come from it. I listen to it purely for the comedic value. 670 The Score never fails to disappoint me when I need a good laugh that's for sure.
    This!

Win = Super Bowl
    Loss = worst team ever/ start the 2nd string QB/fire Lovie

I just realized that Peppers' 7.5 sacks would have led the GB defense last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers4Glory View Post
    This!

Win = Super Bowl
    Loss = worst team ever/ start the 2nd string QB/fire Lovie
    670 The Score is always hilarious but especially after any Bears loss. Buffone and O'Bradovich are comedic gold! I know it's hard to imagine but their, "over the top" act makes some of the more fervent posters on here seem comatose.

670 The Score is always hilarious but especially after any Bears loss. Buffone and O'Bradovich are comedic gold! I know it's hard to imagine but their, "over the top" act makes some of the more fervent posters on here seem comatose.
    I agree with you guys about 670... I would tune in just to listen to the lunacy. The hosts are as ignorant as the callers.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm somewhat ambivalent about this. I think Peppers still has some games left in him. He showed it at times last year, so that is interesting. But, I listen to Chicago sports radio somewhat regularly, and they absolutely blasted Peppers' effort and attitude after most games last season. They especially criticized his effort the last part of the season when they said it was the veterans time to step forward, and he didn't.

When Peppers came to Chicago, no one questioned his ability/talent, but there were questions about his attitude. I don't see a leader on the Packer "D" who might get Peppers best out of him. If there was a White or Woodson, I would like it more.

This makes me want Pickett back, who they say has a very strong locker room presence.

All in all, I like the move, because there is not much downside to it. Could work out great, but if it doesn't, the team can move on without him.
    Hopefully winning stokes his fire. When the Bears won the division in 2010 he was a beast. He certainly wasn't lacking effort in the NFCC. Also you know you'll get his best twice a year vs the Bears
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

great line in the pft comment section

Raji and Peppers? Fat, old, and slow is no way to upgrade your defense, son

Seems like a recipe for success here. Year to year rental and where Pepper's isn't expected to be an every down player. Situationally, it's hard not to get excited about him putting his ears back and rushing the QB. I would think that alone would due wonders for his motivation where he doesn't have to grind out two possible run downs and sticking to lane assignment only to finally then be able to pull out all his tricks. If he truly has little left in the tank then it's a low cost risk given the cap money we have.

Excited to see who this pans out.
    60% of the time it works every time.

his agent says the deal is worth "UP TO" 30 million over three years

expect lots of incentives

his first year take home is 8.5 million, expect some of that to be a signing bonus, so his cap number for this year could be in the 5 million dollar range (give or take a million)

thats not as bad as it first appeared , and something i might be able to live with

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    his agent says the deal is worth "UP TO" 30 million over three years

expect lots of incentives

his first year take home is 8.5 million, expect some of that to be a signing bonus, so his cap number for this year could be in the 5 million dollar range (give or take a million)

thats not as bad as it first appeared , and something i might be able to live with
    According to what I saw Red the first year cap number is only around 3.5M so that's a pretty friendly deal.