Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Peppers a Packer

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    The thing is Patler, I've been listening to Chicago sports radio for 20+ years and I'm still waiting to hear the first intelligent thing come from it. I listen to it purely for the comedic value. 670 The Score never fails to disappoint me when I need a good laugh that's for sure.
    Ya, there is that, too!

Peppers will be a Leo/Devil/Elephant in a four-man front. It also means Clay will be rushing (mostly) from the offense's right side.

First year seems to have a 2.5 bonus and a 1.0 base. If we cut him after the first season, it's 2.5 off the 2015 cap and 2.5 off the 2016 cap and 8.5 total paid.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I don't get it - how in the bloody fuck is he going to be used??

Seriously, if anyone can enlighten me as to Spraypaintedhair's evil plan - I'm all ears.

Since 2-4 is our most often used alignment - is Peppers going to be one of the DT's?? I assume Peppers and Daniels. If that is the case, the flaw in that thinking is that Hawk and B. Jones are still on the field - 2 very substandard players... not to mention the mess at Safety.

I would not have signed anyone new to the front 6/7... it's a waste of money. Another player for Spraypaintedhair to misuse.

I don't get this at all.
    It would appear MM is demanding new schemes from Dom? Perhaps the 2-4 is no more. Intriguing. Rumor has it that Dom has also gone bleach blond to shake things up further.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Peppers will be a Leo/Devil/Elephant in a four-man front. It also means Clay will be rushing (mostly) from the offense's right side.

First year seems to have a 2.5 bonus and a 1.0 base. If we cut him after the first season, it's 2.5 off the 2015 cap and 2.5 off the 2016 cap and 8.5 total paid.
    no, it would be 5 million off the 2015 cap and nothing off the 2016 cap

if he's cut after 2015 then its 2.5 million cap hit in 2016. maybe thats what you ment

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    no, it would be 5 million off the 2015 cap and nothing off the 2016 cap

if he's cut after 2015 then its 2.5 million cap hit in 2016. maybe thats what you ment
    Teams can designate a contract of a released player to be spread over two caps, just like the old provision for releasing after June 1. Allows teams to release earlier, and let players look sooner.

This is a great move. I think they'll line him up in a variety of ways, but I predict he will be an end in the base defense. He has freaky long arms and will be a menace at shutting down the run.

I really like this move. I received a text message about it this morning to wake up to and I pretty much jumped out of bed when I saw it. Great move, and the contract is super friendly.

I would like to see the Packers look into Shaun Phillips if they can get him for a rate like the Broncos did. Of course, he may not want to play here because we do have depth at OLB so he wouldn't get a ton of playing time, but I think you could even line him up inside on obvious passing downs and get some pressure.

Great signing! I can't see Peppers playing as a 3-4 DE, you'll see him at OLB I'm almost certain. Clay and Peppers rushing from both sides with Neal and Perry spelling them...we might actually have a pass rush worth a damn next season.

This guy's site (Very Under-rated in my opinion) indicated the same thing about the Elephant position ala Tim Harris and Charles Haley back in the 80's creating mismatches along the O-line. It's gonna be interesting that's for sure.

http://packerupdate.net/?p=30912

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time" Max McGee

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar

Seriously, if anyone can enlighten me as to Spraypaintedhair's evil plan - I'm all ears.

Since 2-4 is our most often used alignment - is Peppers going to be one of the DT's?? I assume Peppers and Daniels. If that is the case, the flaw in that thinking is that Hawk and B. Jones are still on the field - 2 very substandard players... not to mention the mess at Safety.

I would not have signed anyone new to the front 6/7... it's a waste of money. Another player for Spraypaintedhair to misuse.

If I was going to spend money in this FA period, I would have gone after Byrd or Ward - and actually solve an obvious disaster position. Next I would have looked at replacing either, or both, of Hawk and B. Jones.

I don't get this at all.
    Easy Wist, they just signed him. I'm a little concerned about his age, like some have indicated, but if they can use him creatively, I think they can help pressure the QB more than they currently do. As far as the 2-4-5 goes, perhaps they are re-thinking this alignment. If it sucks as bad as you indicate it does, don't you think the collective brain trust of TT, MM, Capers and D-staff would look at the film and figure out what is going wrong, and what they need to do in order to keep running it as the nickel, or what else the can do instead? They are not going to stand pat. If they are going to keep running it, they need better personnel. If they don't think they have the personnel, then perhaps they will run less of it. They watch more film than we do. They know what works, and I'm with you in being surprised that they continue to do something that is not working well, but Peppers does offer an intriguing player that you can use in subs. I hope they figure out how to get the most out of him. The Packers need another pass rusher.

Perhaps they are not done with FA, folks!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Dust be happy, worst case he is an OLB in your dreaded 2-4 so essentially it's a 3-3 now.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Ground Rat
    The thing is Patler, I've been listening to Chicago sports radio for 20+ years and I'm still waiting to hear the first intelligent thing come from it. I listen to it purely for the comedic value. 670 The Score never fails to disappoint me when I need a good laugh that's for sure.
    This!

Win = Super Bowl
    Loss = worst team ever/ start the 2nd string QB/fire Lovie

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I just realized that Peppers' 7.5 sacks would have led the GB defense last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers4Glory View Post
    This!

Win = Super Bowl
    Loss = worst team ever/ start the 2nd string QB/fire Lovie
    670 The Score is always hilarious but especially after any Bears loss. Buffone and O'Bradovich are comedic gold! I know it's hard to imagine but their, "over the top" act makes some of the more fervent posters on here seem comatose.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Easy Wist, they just signed him. I'm a little concerned about his age, like some have indicated, but if they can use him creatively, I think they can help pressure the QB more than they currently do. As far as the 2-4-5 goes, perhaps they are re-thinking this alignment. If it sucks as bad as you indicate it does, don't you think the collective brain trust of TT, MM, Capers and D-staff would look at the film and figure out what is going wrong, and what they need to do in order to keep running it as the nickel, or what else the can do instead? They are not going to stand pat. If they are going to keep running it, they need better personnel. If they don't think they have the personnel, then perhaps they will run less of it. They watch more film than we do. They know what works, and I'm with you in being surprised that they continue to do something that is not working well, but Peppers does offer an intriguing player that you can use in subs. I hope they figure out how to get the most out of him. The Packers need another pass rusher.

Perhaps they are not done with FA, folks!
    I thought we had plenty of good pass rushers last year - and no, I don't think the Packers braintrust can figure out that the 2-4 is junk, b/c they've had 3 years of evidence to prove that - and yet there it is play after play.

D. Jones is good pass rusher, Daniels is a good pass rusher, Perry is a good pass rusher, Matthews is a good pass rusher, Neal is a good pass rusher, and Raji used to be a good pass rusher - that's 4 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a damn good 4th round pick... and yet we still have one of the worst defenses in the league?? What's wrong with that picture??

Don't get me wrong, I like Peppers as a player - a lot. Age is of course an obvious issue, but used properly, he could be a beast - when we need a beast; but that's just it, what are the odds that he will be used properly?? Spraypaintedhair has given no indication whatsoever that he'll use any of these guys properly - don't see why adding Peppers would change that.
    wist

670 The Score is always hilarious but especially after any Bears loss. Buffone and O'Bradovich are comedic gold! I know it's hard to imagine but their, "over the top" act makes some of the more fervent posters on here seem comatose.
    I agree with you guys about 670... I would tune in just to listen to the lunacy. The hosts are as ignorant as the callers.
    wist

I agree with you guys about 670... I would tune in just to listen to the lunacy. The hosts are as ignorant as the callers.
    Yeah Wist, the people who call into that station regarding the Bears or anything to do with the Cubs are in a league of their own. I swear that you have to either be drunk or completely delusional before the call screeners let you on the air. Sometimes I think they choose the callers they do on purpose just because they are so funny/stupid.

This is funny as heck and just makes the Peppers signing even better:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero · 18m
    No matter how Julius Peppers' contract with #Packers is structured, decent chance he counts more on #Bears cap this season ($8,366,668).

(Sticking it to the Bears in any way, shape, or form never gets old!)

FA is about getting better. in TT's head it's about getting better AND at the right price. it's a win win.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

If I was going to spend money in this FA period, I would have gone after Byrd or Ward - and actually solve an obvious disaster position. Next I would have looked at replacing either, or both, of Hawk and B. Jones.

I don't get this at all.

Last year they used Jones and Neal. Why not throw Peppers in there instead of D. Jones for a handful of plays/game, especially if D. Jones takes longer to develop?

In answer to KY's question, you will get the aggressive, fresh Peppers (Fresh Peppers, get it?), who will come in for a handful of plays and be a beast. We got the Episode VI Darth Vader. He's freaking scary, but he's not as invincible as in Episode V: If he gets electrocuted and has to fight too long he will be defeated - and turn away from the dark side.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck