Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Peppers a Packer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    it really isn't a bad gamble to take when we're sitting on so much cap space

This is a great move Ted, and Dom will find a way to allow him to excel. I'm going to say something I've NEVER said in free agency

ThanksTed
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

*whump*

that was the sound of me hitting the floor
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Because Peppers was released by #Bears, he will not factor into next year's compensatory draft pick equation for #Packers .

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'm sure this was important to Thompson.
    Good observation. I always forget about that, but TT doesn't I'm sure.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    A great pass rush will also make our sefeties look better
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

this is some crazy shit! I don't know if I'm more happy or completely shocked. TT is off his freakin Rocker!

So, what number does Peppers wear? Raji already has 90...does he give it up?

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    this is some crazy shit! I don't know if I'm more happy or completely shocked. TT is off his freakin Rocker!

So, what number does Peppers wear? Raji already has 90...does he give it up?
    In hindsight they should have signed Peppers first, assigned Raji's #90 to him, and then re-signed Raji and told him this year is going to be a "do over" for the last couple of years beginning with his jersey number!

now we just have to sign chris clemons and i might start to have some confidence in our D

until we get at least 1 competent safety on the team, i will have my doubts

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    A great pass rush will also make our sefeties look better
    the pass rush better get to the QB within a second, because thats all the longer it takes to get behind our coverage, or to find the open space (20 yard by 20 yard box) over the middle

Julius Peppers finally gets his wish to play in a 3-4

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...play-in-a-3-4/

Article makes a good point its a shame Greene is no longer our OLB coach.

Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Julius Peppers finally gets his wish to play in a 3-4

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...play-in-a-3-4/

Article makes a good point its a shame Greene is no longer our OLB coach.
    even without peppers, its a shame green still isn't our olb coach

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    even without peppers, its a shame green still isn't our olb coach
    I have to wonder what happened there. Nobody leaves anything to "spend more time with their family."

from walterfootball

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

Packers sign DE Julius Peppers (3 years, $30M; $7.5M guaranteed): B- Grade
    The Packers almost never sign free agents, so when they do, you know it's going to be a headliner. This signing is quite complicated, as there are multiple positives and negatives to it.

Let's begin by acknowledging that Peppers sucked last year. He tallied 7.5 sacks, but that's not indicative of how poorly he played. He struggled to place pressure on the quarterback and was also poor in run support. He just turned 34 in January, so he's probably never going to be the same player ever again. Also, the scheme fit is a strange one. Peppers has never been in a 3-4 before, so how will he adjust? He probably had the natural talent to be a 3-4 defender earlier in his career, but that may not be the case anymore.

There are some reasons why this could work, however. First, the price tag isn't that big of a deal. The Packers had plenty of cap space for 2014. This contract doesn't include much guaranteed money beyond this season, so $7.5 million guaranteed won't exactly kill Green Bay.

I also like that the Packers are stealing Peppers away from their biggest rival. That also plays into another reason why this acquisition could work, which is Peppers' motivation. Peppers has always been one to slack off at times, so that may have been the reason he stunk last year. Perhaps he'll be fired up to prove to Chicago that he didn't deserve to be released. There's definitely bounce-back potential here.

All in all, I feel like this signing deserves a B- or C+ (I must have changed it four times). It probably won't work out, but there's plenty of upside and very little risk involved for Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    This is funny as heck and just makes the Peppers signing even better:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero ยท 18m
    No matter how Julius Peppers' contract with #Packers is structured, decent chance he counts more on #Bears cap this season ($8,366,668).

(Sticking it to the Bears in any way, shape, or form never gets old!)
    That's Awesome!
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by PlantPage55 View Post
    I have to wonder what happened there. Nobody leaves anything to "spend more time with their family."
    His wife didn't like living in small town Green Bay, I'm friends with his nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    His wife didn't like living in small town Green Bay, I'm friends with his nephew.
    That's as easy an answer to swallow as any, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Last year they used Jones and Neal. Why not throw Peppers in there instead of D. Jones for a handful of plays/game, especially if D. Jones takes longer to develop?

In answer to KY's question, you will get the aggressive, fresh Peppers (Fresh Peppers, get it?), who will come in for a handful of plays and be a beast. We got the Episode VI Darth Vader. He's freaking scary, but he's not as invincible as in Episode V: If he gets electrocuted and has to fight too long he will be defeated - and turn away from the dark side.
    This looks right to me. I think they are going to pay him to be a guy they put on the field when they absolutely need to harass a QB. And if the other team decides to run on that front, Peppers will be fine handling that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Ground Rat
    He can be a force if used properly and not on every down. Will be interesting to see how it shapes out

I would expect Bears fans to have difficulty with homophones.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.