I agree Hawk and Jones present a problem, but who covers without them? You send Matthews into coverage (and I do think they should move him inside occasionally to mix things up) and you weaken your pass rush immediately. If only one LB on the field in nickel can cover the deep middle or crossing routes, you have to play 6 man pass defense unless you drop an OLB. That means you HAVE to get pressure and that has not happened enough even with a five man rush.

I still have some hope for Jones in his run defense, but they do need an upgrade. Some are banking on Lattimore or Barrington, but I don't see it yet.

Perry or Neal sized players in a 4-3 are playing end. Heck, on the Seahawks Matthews would be an elephant end with his hand in the ground sometimes.

I also agree Pickett is basically an advertisement for what you are willing to surrender, but you have to defend against the worst outcome and Capers always schemes to stop the run first. He has way too many players who have limits going both ways.

That is why I think McCarthy is demanding less scheme, one more tailored to the players. This will help out with youth and injuries. But it doesn't solve each position.