Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: So if the defense is terrible again this season?

Wist, I applaud you for calling it like it is and note being drunk on the kool-aid that flows freely on this site. Bottom line, I have zero confidence in Capers and believe it will be another horrible season defense wise. The coaches and homers will blame it on injuries, which is already starting. When you have this many injuries to key players, this many years in a row, it's not a coincidence. Which leads us to coaching and higher not making the needed changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Wist, I applaud you for calling it like it is and note being drunk on the kool-aid that flows freely on this site. Bottom line, I have zero confidence in Capers and believe it will be another horrible season defense wise. The coaches and homers will blame it on injuries, which is already starting. When you have this many injuries to key players, this many years in a row, it's not a coincidence. Which leads us to coaching and higher not making the needed changes.
    I have criticized MM for not enough contact in practice leading to injuries, but you certainly can't be sure its not a coincidence. If you think its the fault of the coaching staff I would ask why? I have stated my opinion many times, but to simply say its not a coincidence without any reason/evidence is foolish.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Another area that has hurt our D seems minor, but does impact. A big thing in a Zone Blitz D is secondary blitzers that can bring serious heat and get home to notch a sack. we don't have any of those guys and haven't since CW and Nick Collins left the club. If HaHa and Tramon can start to help in that area, it would pick the D up a bit.
    Nice point. Its dovetails nicely with the need at both positions. I am surprised Jones isn't more effective as a blitzer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

My biggest concern this year is the Run D. No more Pickett, Jolly and Wilson - 3 big boys that helped stuff the run. Daniels, Raji, Boyd and Jones, when I hear their names, I don't think run stuffers, I think pass rushers. The Viking guy (Guion?) and Worthy can't get on the field (I have my doubts about Worthy seeing the field this year). The rest of the D-lineman are rookies. I hope having Peppers helps, but I think we get gashed alot this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    My biggest concern this year is the Run D. No more Pickett, Jolly and Wilson - 3 big boys that helped stuff the run. Daniels, Raji, Boyd and Jones, when I hear their names, I don't think run stuffers, I think pass rushers. The Viking guy (Guion?) and Worthy can't get on the field (I have my doubts about Worthy seeing the field this year). The rest of the D-lineman are rookies. I hope having Peppers helps, but I think we get gashed alot this year.
    Can't believe Pickett is still unemployed. He made what, $6M last year? He played quite well, I'm surprised he hasn't signed on somewhere for at least $2-3M.

He isn't hurt, is he?

edit: little piece on him at JSO, he's healthy and waiting
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...265637431.html
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    We had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year as it was... but this makes for an interesting analysis.

We had one of the worst run defenses b/c we were continually gashed when Capers was in his "jumbo nickel" with Pickett and Raji essentially tasked with taking on the entire offensive line - and, as I've pointed out many times, this idiotic alignment also produced diminished returns in pass defense b/c Raji and Pickett generated exactly zero pass rush up the middle, so it was the worst of both worlds.

What is now giving me a little optimism however, is the fact that they did not resign Pickett and Jolly, so that idiotic "jumbo 2-4" shouldn't be played nearly as much - you would think it would mean much more base, and more 3-3 nickel, both of which are remedies for what was wrong last year.

Having Peppers will help, b/c he is a stud, and if Matthews stays healthy we can't help but be improved; however, if Capers insists on running some version of his "jumbo 2-4", then we'll get pretty close to the same results.

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to matchup with 3 wides with base personnel - depending on opponent. Some of the pass happy teams, when they go 3 wides, it isn't some ruse to open up their running game - they mean to pass, and pass a lot; go ahead and jump into a 3-3 on 1st and 10, or 2nd and 6 against their 3 wides, I wouldn't have a problem with that; but if we're going up against a run heavy team, that throws 3 wides out there on 1st down, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to match up with them in our base.

Pass defense - isn't that supposed to be the strength of Brad Jones's game?? If an opponent is in 3 wides, and we're in base... you're still going to drop both ILB's, and 1 OLB usually... that's 7 guys in coverage.

I actually think we will be better b/c of the subtraction of Pickett and Jolly (both players I like) - for no other reason than it should force Capers to use the personnel he's been given to their strengths.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Can't believe Pickett is still unemployed. He made what, $6M last year? He played quite well, I'm surprised he hasn't signed on somewhere for at least $2-3M.

He isn't hurt, is he?

edit: little piece on him at JSO, he's healthy and waiting
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...265637431.html
    Hes a known quantity that at his age probably doesnt need TC.

Teams will have as many young players as they can on their rosters right now. Once they weed all the youngsters that cant play out, and once injuries start pilling up, pickett will be quickly snached up

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I read somewhere the other day (twitter maybe?) that Raji was looking pretty good with his 'new' role trying to get after the passer and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads is wrong. I actually do agree with Wist on some of his criticisms, and I know a lot of other Packerrats do too. However I'm willing and I'm sure they are too, to believe MM when he says he's going to have Capers be a bit more offensive on the defensive side of the ball. (see what I did there?)

On another note, isn't this whole 'Kool-aid' drinking thing getting kind of old? It used to be amusing, but its become cliche'. Any positive argument no matter how correct, is met with the 'kool-aid' response. yadda yadda yadda. I have yet to read a comment that says this defense will be a top 5 defense in the league this year. Or that Capers is the best DC in the league. Had I read one of those, I'd be the first to throw out Kool-aid drinkers. But fans being optimistic on a website chatting about what improvements have been made or what losses the team might have endured during the off-season and what that might mean in the upcoming season, has nothing to do with your tiresome, built in 'kool-aid' response. Please find another anecdote to run into the ground.

Injuries, on the other hand. Please tell me what the coaching can do to fix the injury problems. As far as I know, the NFL mandates how many practices you can hold and how many days in row and all that mess. If I'm wrong on that, apologies good sir. The higher ups? Alright I might could get behind that, can you show me where our training staff is practicing unsafe and unrealistic stretching techniques? Or that their regimen is so far different than what other teams do, so much so that we need to find new ones? If so, problem solved! I'm not holding my breath. What else does that leave? Coincidence it seems, maybe its time to get over it?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Hes a known quantity that at his age probably doesnt need TC.

Teams will have as many young players as they can on their rosters right now. Once they weed all the youngsters that cant play out, and once injuries start pilling up, pickett will be quickly snached up
    Agreed. I could see Pick coming down here to Big D at some point if the price got low enough. Cowboys don't have much cap space, but have plenty of space for talent, even if it is a lil elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I read somewhere the other day (twitter maybe?) that Raji was looking pretty good with his 'new' role trying to get after the passer and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads is wrong. I actually do agree with Wist on some of his criticisms, and I know a lot of other Packerrats do too. However I'm willing and I'm sure they are too, to believe MM when he says he's going to have Capers be a bit more offensive on the defensive side of the ball. (see what I did there?)

On another note, isn't this whole 'Kool-aid' drinking thing getting kind of old? It used to be amusing, but its become cliche'. Any positive argument no matter how correct, is met with the 'kool-aid' response. yadda yadda yadda. I have yet to read a comment that says this defense will be a top 5 defense in the league this year. Or that Capers is the best DC in the league. Had I read one of those, I'd be the first to throw out Kool-aid drinkers. But fans being optimistic on a website chatting about what improvements have been made or what losses the team might have endured during the off-season and what that might mean in the upcoming season, has nothing to do with your tiresome, built in 'kool-aid' response. Please find another anecdote to run into the ground.

Injuries, on the other hand. Please tell me what the coaching can do to fix the injury problems. As far as I know, the NFL mandates how many practices you can hold and how many days in row and all that mess. If I'm wrong on that, apologies good sir. The higher ups? Alright I might could get behind that, can you show me where our training staff is practicing unsafe and unrealistic stretching techniques? Or that their regimen is so far different than what other teams do, so much so that we need to find new ones? If so, problem solved! I'm not holding my breath. What else does that leave? Coincidence it seems, maybe its time to get over it?

Excellent point. People who offer optimistic points of view are "kool aid drinkers," and people who offer negative points of view are "telling it like it is." At least in some posters' worlds.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I read somewhere the other day (twitter maybe?) that Raji was looking pretty good with his 'new' role trying to get after the passer and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads is wrong.

I actually do agree with Wist on some of his criticisms, and I know a lot of other Packerrats do too. However I'm willing and I'm sure they are too, to believe MM when he says he's going to have Capers be a bit more offensive on the defensive side of the ball. (see what I did there?)

On another note, isn't this whole 'Kool-aid' drinking thing getting kind of old? It used to be amusing, but its become cliche'. Any positive argument no matter how correct, is met with the 'kool-aid' response. yadda yadda yadda. I have yet to read a comment that says this defense will be a top 5 defense in the league this year. Or that Capers is the best DC in the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Excellent point. People who offer optimistic points of view are "kool aid drinkers," and people who offer negative points of view are "telling it like it is." At least in some posters' worlds.
    Wait a minute... what, lol??

When have I ever said what you just said BZ?? That Raji should be eating up blockers and not being used as a penetrator??

I'm beginning to think those of you who criticize me, don't actually read what I write??!!

I want Raji to be a penetrator - it's what he does best. What he does not do best, is 2-gap, handle double teams, and eat up blocks... I've been saying that since he was drafted!! WTF??

Since 2011 I've argued he's been used incorrectly - just as everyone in the front (6-7) has been misused. It is TT and Capers who are not on the same page.

TT drafts Raji (a 1-gap penetrator), Perry (who will never be an OLB), D. Jones (who is a penetrator), Daniels (penetrator), et al - and then Capers misuses them. Raji in the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste - the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste!! Perry being played at OLB is straight out of the "square peg, round hole" school of doing things; and D. Jones and Daniels should be played as downlinemen in nickel pass rush situations - preferrably not the 2-4, lol...

Seriously, why do you guys blather off at the mouth assigning me positions I have not taken?? You may not like the tenor of my posts - but if you are going to attempt to argue against the position I've taken, you should at least read what I wrote - should you not??

----------------------------------------------------------

As for "Kool-Aid"... the reason some of you get that label is b/c you argue against a perfectly valid criticism (usually against Capers and the defense), as if the criticism is invalid, e.g. what Capers is doing, is the best that can be done!!

What you're left is - blaming the players (but not TT), and completely absolving Capers. That makes absolutely no sense... that's the Kool-Aid talking.
    wist

BZnDallas, I might be reading that sentence wist bolded wrong (specifically what you are saying wist advocates with this part "and not take on blockers like Wist has not quite gotten through our heads"), but Raji is one area I do agree with wist.

Raji is not an ideal space eater. He should be, as Fritz has pointed out before based on measurables, but he is much more easily moved than Pickett when double-teamed. He was, however, the second best at holding his ground on the team though and that is why he saw so much playing time in all sets. The trend for Raji has been from pass rushing penetrator to space eater.

Patler has pointed out that players, as they age, often learn new tricks (the smart ones anyway). And Raji might still pick up some things Pickett or Jolly could do. So he could morph into that role. But Raji clearly loved his quickness off the snap and at times looked like he wanted to be a penetrator (see either of the first two games versus Peterson in 2012). Raji might be the best player on the Packers in terms of quickness off the ball. Mathews is just as, if not more, explosive, but he gets called for offside a fair number of times. Raji does it without many flags.

As a fan, you want to see a player succeed and do what they do best. Coaches need to stitch together a defense that utilizes ALL the available talent. The problem with Raji is that he seems to have been using the lesser of his skills. Whether its attitude, decline, skill erosion, wear and tear or just what he has been asked to do is the $64,000 question.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So, to all you X's and O'S folks, if Raji is going to be 1-gapping at NT, whose responsibilities change to cover up the other gap?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Can someone clear up why Pickett and Raji switched positions to begin with after the 2010 Super Bowl season? Was it at the start of 2011 or did Raji get hurt for a bit, they put Pickett in and decided to keep it that way? If Pickett was more versatile than Raji, why keep the change?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So, to all you X's and O'S folks, if Raji is going to be 1-gapping at NT, whose responsibilities change to cover up the other gap?
    Good question, there, Maildude.

Basically, in a 3-4, the only DL two gapping is the nose tackle (0 tech). There are exceptions to that rule based on individual talent (Haloti Ngata 2 gaps anywhere he plays for instance) but generally that's the case.

Who's responsibility for the gaps?

The defense. All 11 guys make their forces, get body on blockers and the free tackler makes the play. Some of the talk on here is kinda shit. Defense is simple, especially vs the run, until you fuck it up. The key to any running offense is to try and get your best blocker in front of your best runner and call those plays against the right situation and looks.

In a standard defense, it's 7 across the front with each man doing his job including being responsible for his gap. It goes beyond just the gap responsibility really. That defensive coach is trying to get his guys in position to put a hat on a hat and have a free man in a spot to make the tackle. The defense is clicking when all 11 guys move like one giant body. Certainly, if your 0 tech is getting wiped out or not covering one gap or the other, it's a huge setback for defensing the run.

Wist is definitely right about the fact that the run D sucked last season. Was it because Capers has become dated and stupid? Hardly.

I blame the shoes. That's right, the shoes the Packers wear.

Those shoes need to have better defenders in them.

There were many times last season defenders were in position to make tackles and plays and they failed. Was it coaching, yeah, could be. But it boils down to execution and last season we didn't get it done. I think we got outplayed last year, not out schemed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I can't say how Capers will run the base... he sparingly played a base 3-4 when he had the personnel to run it better - how will he run it now that he doesn't have 'best-fit' players for the alignment??

That said, you can 1-gap out of the 3-4 base, but I think you have to crash the backside DE of which ever way the NT goes, and the OLB on that side takes on more responsibility for setting the edge on that side. As long as everyone executes to their responsibility, it shouldn't be a problem.

There is more than one way to skin a cat - but one thing is for sure, Capers can't be trusted to use the players according to their strengths - he's proven that.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Can someone clear up why Pickett and Raji switched positions to begin with after the 2010 Super Bowl season? Was it at the start of 2011 or did Raji get hurt for a bit, they put Pickett in and decided to keep it that way? If Pickett was more versatile than Raji, why keep the change?
    Ironically, Capers wanted to move Raji to a position where he would be single-teamed more and be able to penetrate more (this is more assumption than established, reported fact). It also allowed Pickett to move inside where he was more comfortable. McGinn was the first to catch wind of this switch and reported that the Packers called the defense an Eagle Oakie. It was base 3-4 personnel, but aligned the front five like they were playing a 4-3 under. One OLB was aligned like Sean Jones in Fritz Shumur's defense (7 tech). The other aligned like Wayne Simmons.

It might have been an attempt to stiffen the run D. In 2009 with Pick in the middle, it was a nightmare to run against. In 2010 with Raji in the middle, it was easier.

Now the story conflicts from there. In most base looks, the Packers don't let the lineman Jet upfield, regardless of whether you are a nose tackle or 3 or 5 tech DT. Raji did not fare well there, it was clear Pickett felt more at home at NT than at DE like he was in 2010.

Regardless, the return of Pickett to the middle didn't help the run D. Now it may not have all been about these two. Jenkiins was gone, Jolly was gone, Corey Williams was gone.

But the odd thing about Raji in the middle this year is that there is not much talk about adjustment up front. Trgovac said they might play less 2-gap (he said it was ultimately up to Capers who had not indicated that the calls will change), though he insists that they do not play as much as people assume. And 1 gap doesn't mean you are penetrating up the field like Chris Doleman and Keith Millard either. They were pass rushing first and only playing run D if they saw the ball in a RB's hands.

So I don't think their roles and responsibilities change much. It looks more and more like there will simply be more and different people on the field trying to take away specific things from an offense. Surprisingly, this approach is probably least effective against a San Fran offense, that does multiple things well with similar personnel. It will work better against Seattle unless Percy Harvin can actually play and they find replacements for Rice and Tate.
    Last edited by pbmax; 08-02-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Wait a minute... what, lol??

When have I ever said what you just said BZ?? That Raji should be eating up blockers and not being used as a penetrator??

I'm beginning to think those of you who criticize me, don't actually read what I write??!!

I want Raji to be a penetrator - it's what he does best. What he does not do best, is 2-gap, handle double teams, and eat up blocks... I've been saying that since he was drafted!! WTF??

Since 2011 I've argued he's been used incorrectly - just as everyone in the front (6-7) has been misused. It is TT and Capers who are not on the same page.

TT drafts Raji (a 1-gap penetrator), Perry (who will never be an OLB), D. Jones (who is a penetrator), Daniels (penetrator), et al - and then Capers misuses them. Raji in the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste - the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste!! Perry being played at OLB is straight out of the "square peg, round hole" school of doing things; and D. Jones and Daniels should be played as downlinemen in nickel pass rush situations - preferrably not the 2-4, lol...

Seriously, why do you guys blather off at the mouth assigning me positions I have not taken?? You may not like the tenor of my posts - but if you are going to attempt to argue against the position I've taken, you should at least read what I wrote - should you not??

----------------------------------------------------------

As for "Kool-Aid"... the reason some of you get that label is b/c you argue against a perfectly valid criticism (usually against Capers and the defense), as if the criticism is invalid, e.g. what Capers is doing, is the best that can be done!!

What you're left is - blaming the players (but not TT), and completely absolving Capers. That makes absolutely no sense... that's the Kool-Aid talking.

Whoa! Did I type what I was trying to say incorrectly? I thought I said Raji was looking good trying to penetrate (or get after the passer) and not just eat up blockers? Did I not say that?

My apologies... after re-reading what I wrote it is pretty confusing... what I was trying to say is that I read somewhere that Raji was looking good being a penetrator and NOT just taking on blockers... then I was trying to be funny by saying that Wist hasn't told us enough that is the way it should have been all along... sorry Wist ... I really was trying to give you credit...

The koolaid thing just gets old... Im sure there are times when its appropriate, just seems like its a default response now...

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

TT drafts Raji (a 1-gap penetrator), Perry (who will never be an OLB), D. Jones (who is a penetrator), Daniels (penetrator), et al - and then Capers misuses them. Raji in the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste - the "2-4 jumbo" is a waste!!
    Wist, I tend to agree with a lot of what you say, and sometimes I think you are a bit too negative about things. One area I don't agree with you though is this. Datone is a well rounded 3-4 DE. Look at his college game tape. He isn't just a penatrator. Perry also has all the skills necessary to be an effective OLB. His strength will never be coverage, but in our D, the OLB isn't supposed to be running across the field with a TE or a RB. He occupies a zone. I am pretty sure he can back peddle 4-7 yards and stand in an area. Many a lessor athlete has excelled doing it.

The drafting of Worthy and Daniels (who are primarily penetrators) was a direct response to losing Jenkins and the effect not having any pass rush from the DL. I am not sure what is going on with Perry, but I haven't totally thrown in the towel on him yet as he does flash at times.

Basically the thing that people get sick of is the all or nothing mentality. If you are Wist and Red then everything is hopeless and wrong. If we disagree with you we are totally opposite spectrum and guzzling Kool Aid. It would be nice if you would admit at some point that Capers has in the past, and is capable of fielding a top 10 or even 5 defense. He is not the coaching equivalent of Kurt Schottenheimer or Slocum. He has dealt with a lot of key injuries that mess up his plans.

For my part I am in full agreement with you that we continued to play WAY too much 2-4 long after the talent still standing didn't work very well with the alignment, and in situations that made me scratch my head like 2nd and goal from the 1. The truth (as often is the case) lies somewhere in the middle. Capers certainly could be better, but he is far from a bumbling moron who has no idea how to coach defense.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.