Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
It is neither TT's nor Capers fault that Perry can't stay healthy enough to practice, let alone play games.
When he actually is available, how Perry is used is on Capers, not TT.

As I wrote a week or so ago, I'm not sure Perry is anymore suited to a classic 4-3 DE than he is to a classic 3-4 OLB. But, the guy does have some football ability. The notion that a guy can't be effective just because he doesn't fit the classic description for the position is ridiculous, in my opinion. Two things prevent him from contributing (three if you include injuries). First and foremost it is the players attitude, his effort and willingness to accept his role and give it everything he has. Second, it's on the coaches to be creative in their use of the player, taking advantage of what he does well and minimizing reliance on what he does poorly.
Everybody says he's be a great 4-3 DE. I doubt it. His stiff hips would get abused by OT's at DE. He also isn't violent enough with his hands to be a 4-3 DE. Sometimes you have to ignore where a guy was drafted and put him where he can do the job. Perry is a good guy to have bc we have Peppers. Julius isn't an every snap DE or OLB anymore, but with Perry getting some of the snaps, Pep can be used more effectively. Perry is a spot guy and ST type player that can be used perfectly in conjunction with our personnel.

His attitude? Yeah, it probably needs adjusting and if he doesn't do that, he won't be resigned. I think we can get a productive season out of him, which is more than I can say from other guys trying to make this roster.