Thread: So if the defense is terrible again this season?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Another area that has hurt our D seems minor, but does impact. A big thing in a Zone Blitz D is secondary blitzers that can bring serious heat and get home to notch a sack. we don't have any of those guys and haven't since CW and Nick Collins left the club. If HaHa and Tramon can start to help in that area, it would pick the D up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Another area that has hurt our D seems minor, but does impact. A big thing in a Zone Blitz D is secondary blitzers that can bring serious heat and get home to notch a sack. we don't have any of those guys and haven't since CW and Nick Collins left the club. If HaHa and Tramon can start to help in that area, it would pick the D up a bit.
    Nice point. Its dovetails nicely with the need at both positions. I am surprised Jones isn't more effective as a blitzer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

My biggest concern this year is the Run D. No more Pickett, Jolly and Wilson - 3 big boys that helped stuff the run. Daniels, Raji, Boyd and Jones, when I hear their names, I don't think run stuffers, I think pass rushers. The Viking guy (Guion?) and Worthy can't get on the field (I have my doubts about Worthy seeing the field this year). The rest of the D-lineman are rookies. I hope having Peppers helps, but I think we get gashed alot this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    My biggest concern this year is the Run D. No more Pickett, Jolly and Wilson - 3 big boys that helped stuff the run. Daniels, Raji, Boyd and Jones, when I hear their names, I don't think run stuffers, I think pass rushers. The Viking guy (Guion?) and Worthy can't get on the field (I have my doubts about Worthy seeing the field this year). The rest of the D-lineman are rookies. I hope having Peppers helps, but I think we get gashed alot this year.
    Can't believe Pickett is still unemployed. He made what, $6M last year? He played quite well, I'm surprised he hasn't signed on somewhere for at least $2-3M.

He isn't hurt, is he?

edit: little piece on him at JSO, he's healthy and waiting
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...265637431.html
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Can't believe Pickett is still unemployed. He made what, $6M last year? He played quite well, I'm surprised he hasn't signed on somewhere for at least $2-3M.

He isn't hurt, is he?

edit: little piece on him at JSO, he's healthy and waiting
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...265637431.html
    Hes a known quantity that at his age probably doesnt need TC.

Teams will have as many young players as they can on their rosters right now. Once they weed all the youngsters that cant play out, and once injuries start pilling up, pickett will be quickly snached up

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Hes a known quantity that at his age probably doesnt need TC.

Teams will have as many young players as they can on their rosters right now. Once they weed all the youngsters that cant play out, and once injuries start pilling up, pickett will be quickly snached up
    Agreed. I could see Pick coming down here to Big D at some point if the price got low enough. Cowboys don't have much cap space, but have plenty of space for talent, even if it is a lil elderly.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    We had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year as it was... but this makes for an interesting analysis.

We had one of the worst run defenses b/c we were continually gashed when Capers was in his "jumbo nickel" with Pickett and Raji essentially tasked with taking on the entire offensive line - and, as I've pointed out many times, this idiotic alignment also produced diminished returns in pass defense b/c Raji and Pickett generated exactly zero pass rush up the middle, so it was the worst of both worlds.

What is now giving me a little optimism however, is the fact that they did not resign Pickett and Jolly, so that idiotic "jumbo 2-4" shouldn't be played nearly as much - you would think it would mean much more base, and more 3-3 nickel, both of which are remedies for what was wrong last year.

Having Peppers will help, b/c he is a stud, and if Matthews stays healthy we can't help but be improved; however, if Capers insists on running some version of his "jumbo 2-4", then we'll get pretty close to the same results.

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to matchup with 3 wides with base personnel - depending on opponent. Some of the pass happy teams, when they go 3 wides, it isn't some ruse to open up their running game - they mean to pass, and pass a lot; go ahead and jump into a 3-3 on 1st and 10, or 2nd and 6 against their 3 wides, I wouldn't have a problem with that; but if we're going up against a run heavy team, that throws 3 wides out there on 1st down, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to match up with them in our base.

Pass defense - isn't that supposed to be the strength of Brad Jones's game?? If an opponent is in 3 wides, and we're in base... you're still going to drop both ILB's, and 1 OLB usually... that's 7 guys in coverage.

I actually think we will be better b/c of the subtraction of Pickett and Jolly (both players I like) - for no other reason than it should force Capers to use the personnel he's been given to their strengths.
    wist