Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: So if the defense is terrible again this season?

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    My apologies... after re-reading what I wrote it is pretty confusing... what I was trying to say is that I read somewhere that Raji was looking good being a penetrator and NOT just taking on blockers... then I was trying to be funny by saying that Wist hasn't told us enough that is the way it should have been all along... sorry Wist ... I really was trying to give you credit...

The koolaid thing just gets old... Im sure there are times when its appropriate, just seems like its a default response now...
    You had some double-negative stuff going on there... I had to read it a few times just to try to get past the 'no' and 'no', lol... you would have gotten red scribbles all over your paper had it been a sentence you handed in to English 101

As for the "kool-aid" comment... don't know where that came from - I don't use the term much, can't remember the last time I used it

If I'm doing this ' ' after trying to penetrate the skulls around here, I'll stoop to calling you guys "homers", lol
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Ironically, Capers wanted to move Raji to a position where he would be single-teamed more and be able to penetrate more (this is more assumption than established, reported fact). It also allowed Pickett to move inside where he was more comfortable. McGinn was the first to catch wind of this switch and reported that the Packers called the defense an Eagle Oakie. It was base 3-4 personnel, but aligned the front five like they were playing a 4-3 under. One OLB was aligned like Sean Jones in Fritz Shumur's defense (7 tech). The other aligned like Wayne Simmons.

It might have been an attempt to stiffen the run D. In 2009 with Pick in the middle, it was a nightmare to run against. In 2010 with Raji in the middle, it was easier.
    We didn't run enough base 3-4 for it to matter much - most of the damage against us in the run game game against the 2-4 "jumbo nickel", and some against the pass rush nickel.

Now the story conflicts from there. In most base looks, the Packers don't let the lineman Jet upfield, regardless of whether you are a nose tackle or 3 or 5 tech DT. Raji did not fare well there, it was clear Pickett felt more at home at NT than at DE like he was in 2010.
    It was Pickett who was the 1-trick pony. At this stage of his career, what ability he had to get down the line, or push the pocket, is gone - he is strictly a NT that can stand in a phone booth and slug it out.

At least Raji could play NT in a pinch, as long as they kept a leash on his snap count - but they didn't do that either. So Raji wore down (MM's "he's a young man" comment comes back to mind) and his effectiveness anywhere they played him was diminished - I don't put this on Raji, I put it on Capers.

Regardless, the return of Pickett to the middle didn't help the run D. Now it may not have all been about these two. Jenkiins was gone, Jolly was gone, Corey Williams was gone.

But the odd thing about Raji in the middle this year is that there is not much talk about adjustment up front. Trgovac said they might play less 2-gap (he said it was ultimately up to Capers who had not indicated that the calls will change), though he insists that they do not play as much as people assume. And 1 gap doesn't mean you are penetrating up the field like Chris Doleman and Keith Millard either. They were pass rushing first and only playing run D if they saw the ball in a RB's hands.

So I don't think their roles and responsibilities change much. It looks more and more like there will simply be more and different people on the field trying to take away specific things from an offense. Surprisingly, this approach is probably least effective against a San Fran offense, that does multiple things well with similar personnel. It will work better against Seattle unless Percy Harvin can actually play and they find replacements for Rice and Tate.
    As I've been saying - I think not resigning Pickett, and not really having a legimate, 2-gapping NT on the Roster - means they will necessarily have to play a more penetrating scheme; or, the alternative will be misplaying Raji and Boyd as 2-gap NT's.

If Capers does that?? Then Raji will wear down again, and we'll necessarily be playing our nickel pass rush guys, like Daniels, at DE in the base. If we play base 20% of the time, it had better be with guys like Boyd, Guion, Worthy, and Thorton.

I don't want to see Daniels or D. Jones in the base at all, and I'd prefer to limit Raji's snaps in the base as well. I want all of those guys fresh for subpackage pass rush duty.
    wist

But if you don't see penetrating calls (Jet) but you do see 1 gapping Raji, will that be enough to make him effective?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Wist, I tend to agree with a lot of what you say, and sometimes I think you are a bit too negative about things. One area I don't agree with you though is this. Datone is a well rounded 3-4 DE. Look at his college game tape. He isn't just a penatrator. Perry also has all the skills necessary to be an effective OLB. His strength will never be coverage, but in our D, the OLB isn't supposed to be running across the field with a TE or a RB. He occupies a zone. I am pretty sure he can back peddle 4-7 yards and stand in an area. Many a lessor athlete has excelled doing it.

The drafting of Worthy and Daniels (who are primarily penetrators) was a direct response to losing Jenkins and the effect not having any pass rush from the DL. I am not sure what is going on with Perry, but I haven't totally thrown in the towel on him yet as he does flash at times.

Basically the thing that people get sick of is the all or nothing mentality. If you are Wist and Red then everything is hopeless and wrong. If we disagree with you we are totally opposite spectrum and guzzling Kool Aid. It would be nice if you would admit at some point that Capers has in the past, and is capable of fielding a top 10 or even 5 defense. He is not the coaching equivalent of Kurt Schottenheimer or Slocum. He has dealt with a lot of key injuries that mess up his plans.

For my part I am in full agreement with you that we continued to play WAY too much 2-4 long after the talent still standing didn't work very well with the alignment, and in situations that made me scratch my head like 2nd and goal from the 1. The truth (as often is the case) lies somewhere in the middle. Capers certainly could be better, but he is far from a bumbling moron who has no idea how to coach defense.
    Well stated. I agree with what you say. I think most fans know there is something wrong, but do not necessarily agree upon the root cause. It would seem that MM knows that something is wrong as well, but has not yet made Capers pay with his job. If there is not significant improvement this year, MM knows he has to make a change. Does that mean that Capers will run less "Big Nickel"? Only they know. Do the personnel changes along the DL indicate that they will play the nickel differently?

I think we can all agree that stopping the run and winning the down and distance battle and dictating terms on third down is critical. Now they just need to find a way to do it.

As for Nickel sub, here is a cool article from 2010: http://blitzology.blogspot.com/2010/...o-package.html There's a video link of the Cowboy game where we dominated, which is cool. I believe it was KY who said they've got to get home when they send pressure. So true.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 08-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You had some double-negative stuff going on there... I had to read it a few times just to try to get past the 'no' and 'no', lol... you would have gotten red scribbles all over your paper had it been a sentence you handed in to English 101

As for the "kool-aid" comment... don't know where that came from - I don't use the term much, can't remember the last time I used it

If I'm doing this ' ' after trying to penetrate the skulls around here, I'll stoop to calling you guys "homers", lol
    HAHA!! Glad we got past all that. The koolaid thing was more of a general comment that might have been more aimed at Rut, but I think I was just trying at a public service announcement
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!