Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: So if the defense is terrible again this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm thinking Worthy could be done here. He hasn't been healthy for a while, and didn't stand out when he was healthy. That could open up a spot for either Pickett or Jolly.
    I was pretty sure Worthy was done...until I was reminded in an article that Daniels and Worthy didn't show much in their first year. Daniels jumped in his second year while Worthy was recovering from an injury.

Now I don't expect Worthy to jump, but it's possible, so I'm now withholding the judgment I previously wasn't withholding.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

The Packers tend to be patient with injured players, especially early in their careers. Worthy didn't have a lot of production in his rookie year, but he was regarded highly enough that he played around 450 snaps. Last year was simply lost to his injury at the end of 2012. I would be surprised if they gave up this quickly on him.

I'm in agreement. He probably will be ready to go for training camp, and I suspect he'll get a lot of snaps in preseason to see where he's at.

I wonder if he's added any weight or worked on his quickness while he's been off.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The Packers tend to be patient with injured players, especially early in their careers. Worthy didn't have a lot of production in his rookie year, but he was regarded highly enough that he played around 450 snaps. Last year was simply lost to his injury at the end of 2012. I would be surprised if they gave up this quickly on him.
    There must have been something we liked about him to draft him in the 2nd round...

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm in agreement. He probably will be ready to go for training camp, and I suspect he'll get a lot of snaps in preseason to see where he's at.

I wonder if he's added any weight or worked on his quickness while he's been off.
    I saw an article a while back that said he purposely lost about 20 pounds last off-season, essentially to get rid of baby-fat, then began a weight training program to build back up with added muscle weight. It was all part of their plan to reshape his body for the NFL.

Well, that's good to hear. My memory of him from his rookie year is watching him try to quick-rush at the snap, like KGB used to do, except Worthy would get swallowed up and never did, in my recollection, disengage from the blocker.

His quickness was his calling card at Michigan State; he needs that, but he needs some moves and he needs some strength. My hope is that he has both of those by the end of training camp, along with his health.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

SI_DougFarrar @SI_DougFarrar · 2h
    Reviewing Ha Ha Clinton-Dix tape for a piece today, and the thing I like most about him is that the dude thinks he can make every play.

SI_DougFarrar @SI_DougFarrar · 2h
    There's a defiance to Earl Thomas' game. "I know YOU can't make that play, but **** off. I'm Earl Thomas." Clinton-Dix has some of that.

Well then he went ahead and wrote an article:

SI NFL ‏@si_nfl 16m
    Is Ha Ha Clinton-Dix the right man to revive the #Packers defense? @SI_DougFarrar thinks so: http://on.si.com/1jK48f3
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Man, I am not getting the disdain for Perry this offseason. Now Moss is chiming in. They usually are far more relaxed about injuries.

Perry returned for the final six games, but wasn't the same player. He then missed the entire off-season with an undisclosed injury.

Perry has now missed 17 of 35 games in his short career (including playoffs). And Green Bay's coaches seem to be out of patience.

"Nick Perry in my book has done absolutely zero," Moss said.

Added Packers head coach Mike McCarthy: "I don't think it helps any player to miss a whole off-season. You have a season to get ready for. You have this much work.

"And to do it all in a nine-week period, and for a player to miss all of it, obviously it's not a good situation to be in. I think any of the players who did not take advantage of this nine-week opportunity or due to injury is definitely something they're going to have to work harder to catch up once training camp starts."

For better or worse, the Packers appear to still be married to veterans A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones at inside linebacker.
    But at least Hawk and Jones haven't missed any of the offseason and they know how to lineup correctly.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...medium=twitter
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the Perry commentary is a motivational strategy. Kevin Greene failed in his efforts to motivate Perry through private channels, so now plan B is to go public. There will not be a plan C.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The only thing that makes sense to me is that the Perry commentary is a motivational strategy. Kevin Greene failed in his efforts to motivate Perry through private channels, so now plan B is to go public. There will not be a plan C.
    Sure seems like it's getting pretty close to the Pack having to see if they'll get a 6th rounder in exchange for him, or just release him outright.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I actually wonder if that Moss comment was out of context from the article earlier this year. Might he have been uttering some variation of the fresh start?

Perry has been misused from the day he was drafted - I'm sure the guy is completely demoralized and wants out.

Still, mailing it in and refusing to give effort isn't any way to make friends or money - Perry will be gone as soon as his contract is up, and will be looking to land on a team as a 4-3 DE, which is where he belongs.

So Perry will be gone, Worthy will be gone, Raji will be gone... TT and Capers need to get on the same page, or this nonsense will just continue as long as Spraypaintedhair is DC.
    wist

I couldn't find that quote elsewhere, but Moss did say this after McCarthy let fly with those quotes after minicamp:

Asked what Perry is missing, linebackers coach Winston Moss replied, "Everything. Everything." When asked as a follow-up if it's a major setback for Perry, Moss responded, "No, it’s not a setback. He’s missed everything. It’s unfortunate. It’s disappointing."
    http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/...&post_id=38251

Moss's interview was played on the bill michaels show about a month ago, and the "Nick Perry has done absolutely zero" comment was in response to a question about whether Perry had made any progress since the end of last year. Moss had already stated that Perry didn't show enough last year for a real evaluation, so the absolutely zero comment was on top of that. Clearly a rebuke.

The Moss interview plays a little more than halfway into the clip.

http://media.billmichaelssports.com/...day-hour-4.htm

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Perry has been misused from the day he was drafted - I'm sure the guy is completely demoralized and wants out.

Still, mailing it in and refusing to give effort isn't any way to make friends or money - Perry will be gone as soon as his contract is up, and will be looking to land on a team as a 4-3 DE, which is where he belongs.
    I don't think it is a given at all that he will fit in as a 4-3 DE either. Perry might turn out to be one of those guys who was a decent college player, but doesn't really fit anywhere in the pro game.

He is a fool if he doesn't commit himself heart, soul and body to the "hybrid" DL/LB that the Packers have been talking about for the up coming season. It could be what is best for him, a little of each but a lot of neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't think it is a given at all that he will fit in as a 4-3 DE either. Perry might turn out to be one of those guys who was a decent college player, but doesn't really fit anywhere in the pro game.

He is a fool if he doesn't commit himself heart, soul and body to the "hybrid" DL/LB that the Packers have been talking about for the up coming season. It could be what is best for him, a little of each but a lot of neither.
    +1

I don't think Perry's problem is that he wants or is better suited to play 4-3, I think he's just hurt too much and just hasn't had time to fully learn and embrace the position.

At this point, I've given up on getting anything out of Perry. As soon as you think the lights come on and he's about to break out, he gets hurt. Time to move on for me. We have Neal, Peppers, Mathews and a whole bunch of rookies and 2nd year guys that will be chomping at the bit to play. If Perry turns it around, good, but I'm not holding out hope.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Just playing the odds of the NFL draft crap shoot on a pass rusher, Perry was probably gonna fail and probably would have failed as a 4-3 DE as well. The frustrating part is the injuries is it prolongs his evaluation when you'd really like him to fail quickly if he must fail.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

TT's first round picks since 2005*

Offense
    Aaron Rodgers (2005)
    Bryan Bulaga (2010)
    Derek Sherrod (2011)

Defense
    AJ Hawk (2006)
    Justin Harrell (2007)
    BJ Raji (2009)
    Clay Matthews (2009)
    Nick Perry (2012)
    Datone Jones (2013)
    HaHa Clinton Dix (2014)

*players in bold have had development delayed or derailed by injury

If the defense is terrible this year it will because, with one notable exception, TT's first round draft picks on defense don't develop they way they are expected to. Player development might be part of the problem but the most obvious common denominator are the injuries that have plagued this team.

Peri was a bad pick from day one. Came in with the wrong attitude about his weight and position. Although he said some better things at the beginning of last year it seems like he still has a poor attitude behind the scenes. He might not make it out of TC this year, if he even gets cleared for it. Just a bust.

Also what is with this 'undisclosed injury' thing. I know they don't like saying anything useful these days, but we learn about things like the cyst that Harris had removed last year, the weird intestinal thing some other guy had a couple of years ago, etc. The coaches seem pissed about this one, like Peri injured himself in a stupid way just before OTA's, or that he had some sort of lingering injury and ignored advise for surgery until just before OTA's so he couldn't get the work in.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    TT's first round picks since 2005*

Offense
    Aaron Rodgers (2005)
    Bryan Bulaga (2010)
    Derek Sherrod (2011)

Defense
    AJ Hawk (2006)
    Justin Harrell (2007)
    BJ Raji (2009)
    Clay Matthews (2009)
    Nick Perry (2012)
    Datone Jones (2013)
    HaHa Clinton Dix (2014)

*players in bold have had development delayed or derailed by injury

If the defense is terrible this year it will because, with one notable exception, TT's first round draft picks on defense don't develop they way they are expected to. Player development might be part of the problem but the most obvious common denominator are the injuries that have plagued this team.
    If you ignore the last 3 years (we're just starting to really evaluate Perry now) that's 4:3, not a bad record, really.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...